Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen several listings for new 718s which specify a “spare tire mobility kit” among the included options. Just curious—can anyone explain what this kit consists of? Thanks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Spare tire mobility? No idea. A micro-spare that fits in the frunk? The 718 does not come with a spare.

·
Super Moderator
1,275 Posts
Spare tire mobility? No idea. A micro-spare that fits in the frunk? The 718 does not come with a spare.
Except in India where a spare in mandated. They have a skinny spare that sits behind the passenger seat and makes it almost unusable.😆

·
Registered
762 Posts
I’ve seen several listings for new 718s which specify a “spare tire mobility kit” among the included options. Just curious—can anyone explain what this kit consists of? Thanks.
It is essentially two boxes in the frunk with an air compressor in one and a can of gummy tire repair stuff in the other.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just a word of caution. If you have a flat, think hard on whether you want to use the tire repair goo or not. If you do, there is a good chance it will gum up your TPMS and you will be footing the bill for a new one plus labor to install, on top of the tire. So, if it's a big blowout, it's unlikely the goo will work anyway- don't use it. Of course, if you have tire and wheel coverage nothing to worry about and/or some other considerations necessitate giving it a try, but otherwise something to think about.

·
Super Moderator
1,275 Posts
Just a word of caution. If you have a flat, think hard on whether you want to use the tire repair goo or not. If you do, there is a good chance it will gum up your TPMS and you will be footing the bill for a new one plus labor to install, on top of the tire. So, if it's a big blowout, it's unlikely the goo will work anyway- don't use it. Of course, if you have tire and wheel coverage nothing to worry about and/or some other considerations necessitate giving it a try, but otherwise something to think about.
I've heard that before, and with some research found a slime goo that says it's TPMS safe. I haven't had to use it yet so I can't guarantee anything. I'd much prefer to use the complimentary Porsche Assist though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine blew out suddenly a couple of months ago. Tire pressure lights started going off and I pulled over quickly. Passenger rear was flat. Tried the goo and pump and it did nothing. Called Porsche assist and they sent a fellow to get it. We left it on the side of the road with the key hidden under a rock and sent the driver a pic. We had a family member come pick us up (pics below). Everything turned out fine.
1590377980555.jpeg

The tire goo did NOT mess up the tpms, but did cost an extra $100 for a new one on top of the new tire cost.

Here’s a thing I’d say in retrospect: if it blows out quickly you’re just wasting your time with the goo. I know this obviously in retrospect, but when it happens you may make suboptimal decisions just to try to get things moving again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts