Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a spare wheel for their 718 ? I hate having to wait for the breakdown truck to come along. Porsche dont supply them but I have asked for one anyway providing it will fit in the front well or back well.

Allan

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Has anyone had a spare wheel for their 718 ? I hate having to wait for the breakdown truck to come along. Porsche dont supply them but I have asked for one anyway providing it will fit in the front well or back well.

Allan
There have been a few threads on this. You can get one but you still need to store the flat and it will not fit. I have a plug kit, jack, etc in a box in the frunk for the day I get a flat. Hoping it's not sidewall or big slice.
MOO & FWIW

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's sad that you dont get a proper spare or even a mini-spare anymore, but I guess that's one way to cut down on weight and build cost and of course provide more room for the owner. I replaced the slime bottle in the front with a plug kit/tools which fit perfectly in place of the bottle. If its a sidewall blowout or bigger hole not even the slime kit will work so your chances with a regular string type plug kit is much better to get you back on the road anyways; at least until you can get to a tire shop to install a proper mushroom style plug from the inside or replace the tire.
H

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really can't see any spare fitting in the Frunk, but the rear should be a possibility (if you don't mind driving home with the hatch open ajar).

Do you have a set of Winter wheels? Or a String puncture repair kit?

I really can't see any spare fitting in the Frunk, but the rear should be a possibility (if you don't mind driving home with the hatch open ajar).

Do you have a set of Winter wheels? Or a String puncture repair kit?

No winter tyres and I dont think they would be justified in UK. Not keen on the messy tyre repair kits

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
180 Posts
I got a regular spare tire. It does fit in the Frunk along with the Jack AND MY PLUG KIT. So If I travel a distance I can at least have the security of having a spare, but the regular tires will not fit in the Frunk and be able to latch the lid. So unless your traveling alone and can fit the wheel in the passenger seat (I never test fit that though) .you have to have a plan for the regular wheel and tire after putting your spare on.

1. Leave it on the side of the road hoping it's there when you come back with a larger vehicle.
2. CALL AN UBER to take your wheel for you.
3. Call a tow truck to take the wheel.
4. Phone a friend?

I have plugged a wheel TWICE since getting this car. I have driven it about 5500 miles since I picked it up this past spring. The plugs work great. I have not had issues with using plugs. Most flats are a nail or screw and are pluggable. Its such things as major side wall damage which can happened with road debris and that requires a spare.

Sadly I refuse to believe for a second that Porsche was not able to design this car with room enough for a full sized rear wheel in the front trunk. It was a design decision. One I disagree with.

Mike

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a regular spare tire. It does fit in the Frunk along with the Jack AND MY PLUG KIT. So If I travel a distance I can at least have the security of having a spare, but the regular tires will not fit in the Frunk and be able to latch the lid. So unless your traveling alone and can fit the wheel in the passenger seat (I never test fit that though) .you have to have a plan for the regular wheel and tire after putting your spare on.

1. Leave it on the side of the road hoping it's there when you come back with a larger vehicle.
2. CALL AN UBER to take your wheel for you.
3. Call a tow truck to take the wheel.
4. Phone a friend?

I have plugged a wheel TWICE since getting this car. I have driven it about 5500 miles since I picked it up this past spring. The plugs work great. I have not had issues with using plugs. Most flats are a nail or screw and are pluggable. Its such things as major side wall damage which can happened with road debris and that requires a spare.

Sadly I refuse to believe for a second that Porsche was not able to design this car with room enough for a full sized rear wheel in the front trunk. It was a design decision. One I disagree with.

Mike

View attachment 36337

View attachment 36338
Thanks for that Mike. I'll find out tomorrow when I pick the car up. I asked the dealer to sort it out for me.

Allan

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a regular spare tire. It does fit in the Frunk along with the Jack AND MY PLUG KIT. So If I travel a distance I can at least have the security of having a spare, but the regular tires will not fit in the Frunk and be able to latch the lid.

View attachment 36337
Mike, can you give us the details on your spare and patch kit? Looks like a great option to ensure you don't get stranded. I've got a spare wheel/tire I leave at home, plus the patch kit that I carry with me in my GTS.

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
180 Posts
My was from https://ezsparewheel.com.

20” alloy wheel part number 25085 mounted with a T145/60R20 Continental tire, and a nylon carrying bag. $499 plus shipping.

The Jack I had purchased in 2016 for my M2, but works fine on M5 and Boxster. Nice carrying case. I picked up a proper sized lug bolt wrench for the Porsche as the BMW uses 17 mm and Porsche uses 19 mm. So you must make sure you have the correct wrenches, or, you're screwed if you get a flat. LOL. It was a kit specifically for BMW (as if that matters LOL). I think I got it from Bimmerzone.

Gas Auto part Bicycle part Machine Electric blue

The Plug kit I have is a Boulder Tools - Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit for Car, Truck, RV, SUV, ATV, Motorcycle, Tractor, Trailer. Flat Tire Puncture Repair Kit that I bought from Amazon, but I have several small kits for other cars. This Boulder kit has tools with it.

Product Tool Toolbox Revolver Box

·
Registered
3 Posts
My was from https://ezsparewheel.com.

20” alloy wheel part number 25085 mounted with a T145/60R20 Continental tire, and a nylon carrying bag. $499 plus shipping.

The Jack I had purchased in 2016 for my M2, but works fine on M5 and Boxster. Nice carrying case. I picked up a proper sized lug bolt wrench for the Porsche as the BMW uses 17 mm and Porsche uses 19 mm. So you must make sure you have the correct wrenches, or, you're screwed if you get a flat. LOL. It was a kit specifically for BMW (as if that matters LOL). I think I got it from Bimmerzone.

View attachment 36345

The Plug kit I have is a Boulder Tools - Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit for Car, Truck, RV, SUV, ATV, Motorcycle, Tractor, Trailer. Flat Tire Puncture Repair Kit that I bought from Amazon, but I have several small kits for other cars. This Boulder kit has tools with it.

View attachment 36344
Mike, Does that spare fit on the rear? The one from Suncoast will not. If you have a flat on the rear you need to put the spare on front and then put front tire on the rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts