Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had problems with spark plugs failing on their 718?
I have had my 2019 Cayman from new and the first spark plug failed after @ 6,000 miles, then @ 200 miles later a second failure. The dealer has since replaced all four plugs under warranty.
I have never experienced this problem on any of my previous cars, any thoughts/advice?
Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi - Also UK based and part of a larger community of 718 owners in the UK who are actively meeting and communicating . Not heard of this which - might not be indicative of the issue but it seems rare. It might just be that you were the owner of a car which had a duff batch of spark plugs installed. I've done over 20k miles with no issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve seen a couple of posts on Porsche Club GB where the plugs have been seized at the first service but not failures. Both had extended warranty (uk is 3 years warranty and 1st plug service is at 4 years).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi - Also UK based and part of a larger community of 718 owners in the UK who are actively meeting and communicating . Not heard of this which - might not be indicative of the issue but it seems rare. It might just be that you were the owner of a car which had a duff batch of spark plugs installed. I've done over 20k miles with no issues.
Thanks for the feedback, I am hoping, as you say, that it is just a bad batch of plugs.
Looking forward to getting out more once things start to open up again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve seen a couple of posts on Porsche Club GB where the plugs have been seized at the first service but not failures. Both had extended warranty (uk is 3 years warranty and 1st plug service is at 4 years).
Thanks, looks like I won’t (hopefully) need to replace the plugs for another 4 years now!

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
Thanks, looks like I won’t (hopefully) need to replace the plugs for another 4 years now!
I thought they changed the plugs on a distance scale. Mine were done at 45,000 Km and the improvement in performance was noticeable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought they changed the plugs on a distance scale. Mine were done at 45,000 Km and the improvement in performance was noticeable.
The service schedule here in the UK says to change spark plugs every 60k km/40k miles or 4 years

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
170 Posts
The 4 years is so they come out easily without any damage. At 4 years my 911 came out easy so I would not be too concerned about that . How did you know you had a bad plug? Engine light on? Misfires you felt?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem started with a slight hesitation on acceleration, quickly followed by a loss of power. The engine running very unevenly, not the nicest feeling, especially when accelerating to join the flow of traffic on the motorway
The pictures show the warning messages, same for each failure.
617C7E86-3804-472E-8C46-24258AF9AFED.jpeg 3D1B6C13-C7A3-47BE-9CBB-43DCBFD62109.jpeg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had problems with spark plugs failing on their 718?
I have had my 2019 Cayman from new and the first spark plug failed after @ 6,000 miles, then @ 200 miles later a second failure. The dealer has since replaced all four plugs under warranty.
I have never experienced this problem on any of my previous cars, any thoughts/advice?
Thanks
Because they're related, to be clear, spark plug not an ignition coil pack?

FWIW, not on the 718 platform, I had a 2014 981 Cayman S which suffered several ignition coil failures, first one went, then a 2nd a short time latter, followed by a third. The car wasn't quite a year old at the time.

On the third coil failure under warranty, after having the car flat-bedded back, the dealership (I assume with Porsche assent) agreed to replace the remaining 3 coils as "a preventative" measure.

My guess is, like the infamous Audi/VW coil pack recall a number of years ago, there must have been a run of bad coil packs in the parts bin.
Maybe Porsche got hold of a bad run of plugs? It's my understanding turbocharging puts a big demand on a car's ignition system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whilst I have not seen either of the failed plugs, I can only relay what the dealer has told me and so as far as I know, it is the plugs and not coil pack. Time will tell I guess

1 - 11 of 11 Posts