Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking delivery of my 2018 BS on Monday. My second Boxster after my 5 year love affair with a 2013 BS. I ordered the car with Sport Exhaust, but without Sport Chrono. My question: does the engine pop, and overrun without sport chrono. I have a Mercedes C63S with Sport exhaust and it only sounds louder, more baritone with SE turned on. But when you place the car in Sports plus the fun really commences with pops and burbles. Highly entertaining. I wonder in the BS, without sport chrono, if it will only get a louder exhaust note, but without the extra entertainment. Anyone have SE only? How does it sound? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
150 Posts
I have SE only and it is louder and definitely pops and gurgles in Sport Mode. I like the sound and drive in Sport Mode almost all the time.

· Registered
638 Posts
Per above: absent Chrono, even absent PSE, just ordinary Sport mode leaves unburned fuel in the exhaust stream on throttle overrun for that burble. At low-to-mid revs it does 'pop' in a sometimes unflattering way (and that's all many people hear on test drives or encountering 718s around town, I reckon). But backing off the throttle at the top of the rev band produces a piercing rifle-crack 'bang' (or MG60 burst), an entirely different and seriously edgy track sound.

· Registered
2,206 Posts
Does the gear changes faster with SC on ?
It changes the speed on the PDK, so if your in Sport/Sport+ and change gears manually it can get a bit jumpy depending on your rpm.
In Sport it does not change gears if the next gear will be under 2000rpms, guess it has to do with PSE cause PSE shuts down under 2000rpm
In Sport+ it changes above 4500rpm

· Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I think what he means is if the actual time it takes for the PDK to disengage from one gear and engage another is reduced -- a trait that's already measured in milliseconds.

Kinda trivial, but I get it ...

· Registered
2,206 Posts
I think what he means is if the actual time it takes for the PDK to disengage from one gear and engage another is reduced -- a trait that's already measured in milliseconds.

Oh,
well i am a Swede after all ;)

@diegouruguay
In the above case, kind of.
But i am not sure if there is any difference between Sport and Sport+

In Sport/sport+ the clutches disengage quicker so gear shifts feels faster.
If your in manual and shift by hand the PDK decreasing the time between your pressing the paddle to the actual shift if your above 3000 - 3500rpm
Above its fast as H-ll

I cant remember if you get the revmatch without SC....

· Registered
8 Posts

Exactly, that is the question, does the time it takes for the PDK to disengage from one gear and engage another is reduced in Sport+ compared to Sport ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.