Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
67 Posts
Are you sure it changed to manual?

Pressing the sport response button is best left for the track, as the engine will rev much higher and stay in gear longer. I once used it pulling away from the traffic lights and felt like a real twit - I also fumbled around trying to pull the upshift paddle while the engine screamed at 6000rpm.

There is quite a good video on Youtube
which shows the use of the sport response as he prepares to accelerate out of corners. But he is doing high speeds at high rpm when he uses it.

I tried using it on the track this week and it was also not what I wanted. In S mode at 4000rpm in a corner I pushed the SR button and it dropped a gear (or 2..) and revved like ****. Again felt like a twit. I will not use it unless I am already at 5000rpm, but at that point I will probably just be trying not go off the track...

From a 718 service information document -
Sport Response Button (vehicles with PDK only)
Another new function in the Sport Chrono package is the SPORT Response button
located in the center of the Mode switch on vehicles with PDK. Inspired by motor sport,
the SPORT Response button on the 718 Boxster MY17 gives the driver the option of
changing the responsiveness of the vehicle directly at the press of a button.
When the SPORT Response button is pressed, the engine and transmission are prepared
for maximum responsiveness. In the part-load range, the wastegate for the turbocharger
is closed to allow the boost pressure to build up more quickly. The engine responds much
more directly to accelerator pedal commands and reaches maximum power more quickly.
At the same time, the PDK switches to a special shift map.
In part-load range, the PDK immediately switches back to an engine speed range of
between 4,500 to 6,000 rpm. At this point, the shift map is moved upwards again
so that the PDK only switches to the next-higher gear at a later time, thereby retaining
the extremely direct responsiveness of the high engine speed range for a few hundred
revolutions longer.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Huh? The Sport button raises the shift points but doesn't put the PDK into manual mode. If it does then something is wrong. Perhaps you are used to driving with low rpm so the bump in engine speed just surprised you. If you are accelerating hard the engine will certainly rev up higher than you are use to before upshifting.

There is no significant reason to avoid Sport mode, only minor ones. Granted it does raise the engine speed and disable Auto Stop/Start, both of which slightly reduce gas mileage in some situations. But running in non-Sport mode can mean keeping the engine down below 2000rpm much of the time. That isn't especially good for either the engine or the driver's mental state. 🤖👍

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
67 Posts
Hi Jim, if you are responding to my post, don't shoot the messenger. The text in italics is a 'cut and paste' from a 718 service information document.

It may seem seem like the PDK is in manual mode because it stays in gear for much longer with the revs much higher than without the SR engaged. If you use the paddle to drop a gear in any driving mode, the gear is retained for 6 seconds before the PDK shifts according the mode map. When you press the SR button, it is active for 20 seconds or until you press the SR button again. 20 seconds is a long time to rev to 5000+ rpm unless you are trying to get to 200km/h + (IMO).

But if yours works differently...

I also did not say "avoid Sport mode", I referred to using the SR button. I generally always drive in S.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Hi Jim, if you are responding to my post, don't shoot the messenger.
Hi, Todd. I wasn't shooting at the messenger but I was, ah, curious about the opening sentence of your second paragraph:
Pressing the sport response button is best left for the track
Like you, I drive in Sport mode most of the time but I have never "tracked" it. (Haven't driven on a track since, oh, 1974, and haven't run an autocross since maybe 1990.) I responded because the original poster seemed new to how Sport mode and the PDK worked.

One thing the OP needs to know is what you explained about the manual-override feature of the paddles. Operate a paddle and the PDK stays in the selected gear for some period of time. I have never thought about it systematically but you are probably right that Sport mode makes the manual-override state last longer. My experience is that under some circumstances such as decelerating after downshifting the PDK will stay in that gear until it decides you don't need help to decelerate any more. Another thing I found is that you can cancel the manual override by moving the shift lever to Manual and then back to Auto. This seems to put the PDK back into its normal do-as-you-think-best mode.

Now I have to wonder if we are talking apples and oranges. Sport Response, is that the same Sport button as the one on my center console? Or is that some different Porsche alphabet-soup option that I don't know about, like combining the SE (Sport Exhaust) and Sport, or with PDLS, TV, SPASM, LSD, Bose Audio, and AC and ACC, PRS, DCLEX, and VMisH? :eek:

Cheers! Happy motoring! Safe motoring too.

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
67 Posts
Hi Jim, Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here...

Sport Chrono driving modes = O, S, S+ and I.
Sport Response button is the button in the center of the driving mode selector.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Circle Eyelash

Pressing the SR button is quite a different driving experience from driving in S or S+

Perhaps I shouldn't have said 'best left for the track'.
Try it. It is going to drop a few gears to bring the revs between 4500-6000rpm and it will hold in gear for quite some time. Although I don't have the exact rpm handy now, IIRC the PDK will only shift just below the red line or 7500rpm, which not many owners would like to experience. Release the accelerator or push the SR button again and all will be good.
If you don't like the result, don't press it again and hope for a lesser response from the vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
180 Posts
I have used the sport response mode several times. It's a hoot. It still shifts in Auto, and I did not notice that it held the gear any longer than sport plus does. I'll have to check it out again...crying...in the spring.....friggen snow.....😪

I tried launch control once only, I'd rather not kill my transmission. LOL.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts