Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I ordered a Boxster GTS 4.0 in Dec 20 in UK and am waiting for a build date, which means I keep reviewing the spec! Does anyone have views on the comfort of the standard 2-way electric sport seat plus, particularly the lumbar support? Is it worth spending £2k on the 18-way version? As dealers are closed due to Covid in UK, I can’t try them. Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Have you considered the 14 way seats? They have adjustable lumber support. This is what I had on my 2016, and is what I ordered on my GTS 4.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you considered the 14 way seats? They have adjustable lumber support. This is what I had on my 2016, and is what I ordered on my GTS 4.0
Yes, I’ve looked at them on the configurator but have not tried them. I test drove the SSP 2-way and they seemed comfortable, but it was only 30 minutes. The 18-way are the same seat as the 2-way but with more flexibility, whereas the 14-way is different. Problem is that right now I can’t try anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 18-way seats in my 2018 GTS. They are very nice but could be a bit tight in the hips if you are a larger person. If you like the 2-way seats, you will love the 18-way seats.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the two way seats and can't complain. They're comfortable, supportive, and adjustable enough for me. As the only driver of my 718, I also didn't need the adjustability or memory functions you get with the more expensive seats.

I would make the same decision and spend the money elsewhere if I were ordering another one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was in the same position as you when I was spec'ing mine. I spent a lot of time between jumping between the 2 and 18 way seats. My main concern was if the 18-way sat higher due to the motors underneath and there was a marginal difference. I am by far not a small guy and did not notice much difference in comfort and opt'd out. More detail below.

Now, once I powered the 18-way seat to where I'd want it, it did perch me higher as I lifted the thigh support to give myself a bit more, well, support lol. Having this adjustment was one of the main reasons I contemplated this upgrade.

The side bolsters were left in the most out position due to my size so those bits would be lost on me. I then tried the easy entry option that comes with this but as I'm almost in the most rearward position, that too was lost on me. The steering wheel powering up and away was also a hindrance as it didn't move much from my position and going fully inwards made it more difficult in getting out.

Adding it all up, I didn't feel the extra cost could be justified for only a thigh support adjustment as the rest was a bit lost on me specifically.

On the plus side - the seat base does look nicer trimmed out when you have the full power seat.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I had 2 way sport buckets in my 17 cayman, the GTS has 18 way and GT4 has LWBS/Buckets.

For comfort I prefer the 2 way sport bucket over the 18 way. Im not a small guy either.

However, I also think the LWBS is, (once in them) one of the most comfortable seats ever. I prefer firm and it must be that the seat back is where I would have adjusted anyway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I find my 2 way electric absolutely fine (I am 5'11 and 84kg is that helps).

Something I did notice though, in the 987 Cayman the seat adjusters were Aluminium and looked really good. In the 718 they are VERY cheap looking black plastic.

·
Super Moderator
1,829 Posts
Check carefully, AFAIK the main difference between the 18-way and the 14-way is the side bolsters. Others may have more info.
I have the 14-way I find them very comfortable as has everyone who's ridden in them. I don't notice the lack of adjustable and larger side bolsters, the 14-way are quite supportive there for me and stop me from sliding around.
With the dealers closed maybe there's a local owner who could let you have a try.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I've had the 18-way, the 2-way, and now the buckets. The wife and I both found the 18's to be very comfortable on long road trips, but our backs were hurting for weeks after our Texas to Nevada road trip with the 2-ways. Now we have the buckets and so far we find them closer to the 18-ways in comfort, although we've only done LA to Reno (two days). I don't know what it was about those 2-ways, but we really couldn't get comfortable in them for some reason. Our experience seems to be somewhat unique, though.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think you'll find more opinions on this topic than there are seat types to pick from. I've owned 14-ways and 18-ways. I am a smaller guy and found the 14-ways awful for lack of bolster adjustment. I haven't driven a 2-way Sport Seat Plus, but I'm sure I'd find the 18-ways are worth the extra money since I constantly make fine adjustments on longer drives to fight fatigue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was in the same position as you when I was spec'ing mine. I spent a lot of time between jumping between the 2 and 18 way seats. My main concern was if the 18-way sat higher due to the motors underneath and there was a marginal difference. I am by far not a small guy and did not notice much difference in comfort and opt'd out. More detail below.

Now, once I powered the 18-way seat to where I'd want it, it did perch me higher as I lifted the thigh support to give myself a bit more, well, support lol. Having this adjustment was one of the main reasons I contemplated this upgrade.

The side bolsters were left in the most out position due to my size so those bits would be lost on me. I then tried the easy entry option that comes with this but as I'm almost in the most rearward position, that too was lost on me. The steering wheel powering up and away was also a hindrance as it didn't move much from my position and going fully inwards made it more difficult in getting out.

Adding it all up, I didn't feel the extra cost could be justified for only a thigh support adjustment as the rest was a bit lost on me specifically.

On the plus side - the seat base does look nicer trimmed out when you have the full power seat.
Thanks for this info. I’m actually pretty slim so don’t think I would struggle with the seat being too tight, but I do seem to fidget a lot so the ability to have a lot of flexibility including lumber support is important. I guess the standard 2-way might be perfect but who knows?! It seems like an extra couple of grand to make sure it’s comfortable if worthwhile but then an £80k car should be comfortable in the first place!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think sobiloff and Third have both identified conditions that can really favor the 18 ways, and that is for longer driving sessions. That's where you start getting a pain, and a little tweak can turn that pain off. That's the greatest value for me. And that's not something you want to learn after you take delivery of your 2 ways. It's much better to have that tool and not need it, than the reverse.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Is there any difference in the seat position height between 14-way vs. 18-way seats? Our BS has 14-ways and my helmet touches the top, unless I lower the seat to a slightly uncomfortable level. I'm only 5'11', but have longish torso and shortish legs (32" inseam)...weight ~148 lbs.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I ordered 18 way when I specified my Boxster mostly because 18 must be better than 14 (acknowledgedly not good logic) but they are great. My GF considers them significantly more comfortable for long trips than the sport seats in my BMW X3. A couple of months ago I test drove a Cayenne with 14 way seats. They were equally as comfortable (at least for a short test drive) and the salesperson (the one who sold me my Boxster and one whom I have a great deal of respect for) suggested the 18 way is really an unnecessary additional expense. The 14 way appeared a bit lower and this was significant because we have an adult daughter confined to a wheel chair and the lower seat hieght makes it easier for her to swing her butt into.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does anyone have views on the comfort of the standard 2-way electric sport seat plus, particularly the lumbar support? Is it worth spending £2k on the 18-way version?
Wife has manual Sport Seats Plus (SSP) in her 991. I have 18-way SSP in my 718T. Lumbar support is an issue for me in the 991. I can stand to drive the 991, but wish it had adjustable lumbar after 30-ish minutes.

Also, I cannot stand the normal Sport Seats. I wouldn’t own a Porsche with those seats. Based upon my years of reading forums: 25% of people agree with me. 25% of people can’t stand SSP seats. And 50% are “bi-seatual” and can go either way.

Don’t buy 14-ways without extensive testing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi, I ordered a Boxster GTS 4.0 in Dec 20 in UK and am waiting for a build date, which means I keep reviewing the spec! Does anyone have views on the comfort of the standard 2-way electric sport seat plus, particularly the lumbar support? Is it worth spending £2k on the 18-way version? As dealers are closed due to Covid in UK, I can’t try them. Thanks!
I specced the 18 ways and overall I'm glad I did. Apart from the adjustability, I really rate the comfort access function that comes with the 18 ways (where the seat automatically moves back and the steering wheel moves up), as it really helps when entering and leaving such a low and tight cabin. As my daily driver, I feel like details like this make a big difference. if it was just a weekend car and budget is limited, perhaps its not such a big deal.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wife has manual Sport Seats Plus (SSP) in her 991. I have 18-way SSP in my 718T. Lumbar support is an issue for me in the 991. I can stand to drive the 991, but wish it had adjustable lumbar after 30-ish minutes.

Also, I cannot stand the normal Sport Seats. I wouldn’t own a Porsche with those seats. Based upon my years of reading forums: 25% of people agree with me. 25% of people can’t stand SSP seats. And 50% are “bi-seatual” and can go either way.

Don’t buy 14-ways without extensive testing.
I totally agree. Lumber support that's missing from SSP is a must for me. (Adjustable bolsters likewise.) And there is night and day difference between the 14- and 18-ways.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I specced the 18 ways and overall I'm glad I did. Apart from the adjustability, I really rate the comfort access function that comes with the 18 ways (where the seat automatically moves back and the steering wheel moves up), as it really helps when entering and leaving such a low and tight cabin. As my daily driver, I feel like details like this make a big difference. if it was just a weekend car and budget is limited, perhaps its not such a big deal.
You can get Comfort Access with 14 way seats as well. I get the impression you think you can't or don't get that with the 14 ways.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the 2 way and bad back. Overall it is comfortable and I did a 6 hours drive over the weekend but with quite a few stops in between (doing delivery runs, yeah it was nice out so I figured why not? :) ) A little more lumbar would be great but overall the 2 way is pretty darn comfortable for my frame.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts