Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
Should I order Spyder or Boxster GTS 4.0. My SA is recommending me to get a Spyder. However I am afraid that I will not enjoy the car much because it is not a automatic top. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think the Spyder is a great car, but this manual top must be a pain. I own a Miata with a manual top, but in that case you can very easily open and close it with your hand while driving. On the Spyder you need to completely stop the car, get out of it, open the trunk, extend the top, clip it in place, close the trunk... I don't know what they were thinking when designed it this way.

If you are totally focused on (very) spirited driving I might consider the Spyder (but in that case I'd rather go for the GT4). If you just intend to have leisure drives, I think the GTS is more than enough.

It's fair to say that I've never driven any of those, though, so I'm basing my opinion on what I've read online.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Firstly I'd confirm that they actually have an allocation for a Spyder and/or a GTS as they're like rocking horse poop at the min.

The Spyder is similar to the GTS in many ways yet different in others and you'd need to have a think about which one you'd be able to live with if its your daily.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Taking a different spin on things, do both? By this I mean, take the Spyder if there truly is an allocation for one. Compare to the GTS, it won't lose that much value after a year. So, once you have an idea of when the Spyder arrives, put in a deposit for a GTS build slot. By the time that arrives you will have experienced the Spyder, come to terms if it's something you can enjoy long term and if not, well build the GTS or cancel it if you are fine with it.

It's a favourable position to be in as a Spyder, or any 718 for that matter, are hard to come by. But a Spyder or GT4 is super hard now to get an allocation for.

I'm sort of doing this myself. I love the ethos of the Spyder but not sure if it's something I can live with long term but as I've experienced a Boxster GTS, I thought it best to experience something different. Incidentally, I am in discussions of getting on my retailers waiting list for the next car even though I've yet to get this one yet!

With that said, my gut feeling tells me the Spyder for me at least will be short lived. I truly loved being able to drop the top of my BGTS without fuss and even after rain. While I would dry off the fabric roof before doing so, I didn't have to worry about the body where as the Spyder you need to raise the rear deck lid at which point the water flows down into the back compartment of the car. Additionally, and this is my OCD coming into play, having to touch that rear deck lid each time upon raising/lowering the roof means great chance in marking the paint. Especially as it's not always going to be showroom clean due to it being relegated to the driveway and parked in the elements. Hope that all makes sense :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am not a convertible guy at all, but the Spyder is one of the best looking cars that Porsche makes. That would be my choice for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2021 Spyder and it is a great car. There is a rawness to it as it is the first proper GT Spyder. I think it has a watered down GT3 feel. With a bit of practise the hood is easy but you do need to stop and get out. In light rain and at 40mph plus rain passes over you in the cab. Having said that I live in the city so need to put up the hood up when leaving the car for security and you would tire of that. Our roads are full of potholes so you feel the harder suspension. There is also less sound insulation. The GTS is very nearly as quick and offers more comfort. So to sum up, fantastic car for a country blast or trip and I have a 987.2 and Macan S as my dailies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This was the exact reason I chose the GTS 4.0. The thought of having to get out every time it rained was one thing, but my wife going from hot to cold and vice versa, would drive me even more insane over time. I think the other consideration is if you plan to track the car or not. For me, the answer was no. I mean maybe I'll try it for curiosity, but as a hobby, no. Answer those two questions, then the choice is easy! Good luck...

·
Registered
93 Posts
If it is something you are going to use daily, or close to I would go for the GTS. If it’s a weekend car, it has to be the Spyder.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I chose the Spyder over the BGTS. I think there are just a lot of variables. It definitely depends on what other cars you have in the garage, and what the weather/climate are like where you live, what the roads and tracks are like near you, etc.

But probably the biggest thing is what other cars you have and where this fits in your lineup.

·
Registered
2021 718 Boxster GTS 4.0
29 Posts
For daily driving and functionality the BGTS for sure. Looks and some added performance? The Spyder hands down.

Big thing for me was the functionality of the electric top which functions up to 35 mph if needed. Many time I've enjoyed slowing down to pop the top up or down real quick and the carry on. Great feature for sure! Also, I believe the Spyder is 10mm lower and to be honest the BGTS is already pretty low for daily driving. I have to really be careful pulling into anything due to very low ground clearance, but I've only had a few clearance "no go's" over the past few months. Any lower would be tough for daily driving.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Spyder is special in every respect and the GTS is just a Boxster, which is not bad thing but it is what it is. My wife and I were out for dinner and a couple short stops last night and with her on one side and me on the other it took less than a minute to put the top up. For the short stops we just pulled it onto the header and did not lock it closed so that was even quicker. It rains in Florida, especially this time of year, but we live on the beach so it stays drier here than inland but if it looks like rain the top stays up, just like it would in any other car. Yeah, getting out to close (or open) the top requires a little extra effort but that is not worth forgoing it for a GTS. I had a Targa GTS before this and I thought it was the best looking P-car, but the Spyder is an equal for sure. And I have never scraped the spoiler lip - it is all about knowing the proper angles!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Spyder is special in every respect and the GTS is just a Boxster, which is not bad thing but it is what it is.
I've been lucky enough to drive a GT4 and CGTS 4.0 back to back, and I'm not sure I can agree with this.

I went into it sort of biased towards the GT4 that I've had a lot more seat time in, but honestly I came out of it kinda thinking the GTS is the more compelling package, provided you aren't going to the track every weekend and that you don't view the $15K price delta as an inconsequential amount of money. I was surprised at how similar they felt, actually. There are some immediately obvious differences (the GT4 has a tighter shifter with a shorter throw, a firmer brake pedal feel, and a noticeably lower front lip), but I was surprised by how little room there was between them from a suspension and overall driving dynamics perspective. This was where I thought I'd feel the greatest difference, but it was much more subtle than I was expecting. Now, I'm sure that if I pushed each of them to the very limit the discrepancies would become much more pronounced, but for the majority of use cases and the vast majority of time they won't be all that different.

My overall impression (that is certain to invite disagreement!) is that the GTS feels like 95% of the car for 85% of the price. The choice - assuming there is a choice to be made right now given the production issues - rests largely on how much value one places on the sort of intangible things about the GT4/Spyder. There's definitely something to be said for having the top of the line, GT department car, as well as the amazing looks and unique manual top of the Spyder...but based solely on the feeling they each give when you drive them, I'm not convinced that it's worth the price of the upgrade.

I really believe that 95% of people who hop into a GTS 4.0 won't want for anything more, either dynamically or emotionally, than it delivers. I do get the appeal of the GT4/Spyder, but the mere fact of their existence doesn't inherently justify springing for one of them over a GTS, I don't think.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You are comparing a GT4 to a CGTS - I was comparing a Spyder to a GTS vert....I stand by what I said. I would tend to think that the coupes are closer to each other but not the drop-tops!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You are comparing a GT4 to a CGTS - I was comparing a Spyder to a GTS vert....I stand by what I said. I would tend to think that the coupes are closer to each other but not the drop-tops!
Well the Spyder and GT4 are identical apart from the top and the wing, and the GTS twins share everything except for the top. Of course, with specific regard to the convertible tops I cannot comment, but other than that I'm not sure where the issue would be with the comparison. Are you saying there's some sort of difference in chassis rigidity between the Spyder and BGTS that isn't present between the GT4 and CGTS? Not sure what else would separate the coupes from the 'verts...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was referring to the Spyder vs. the Boxster GTS Vert: the Spyder looks so much better and the open-air experience is unique so one cannot compare a vert to a coupe. My sporty car is always a vert with a manual, no compromises, ever.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was referring to the Spyder vs. the Boxster GTS Vert: the Spyder looks so much better and the open-air experience is unique so one cannot compare a vert to a coupe. My sporty car is always a vert with a manual, no compromises, ever.
Gotcha. Don't think the two are tremendously different dynamically, but I get it. I could really go either way on convertible vs coupe, but I think the Spyder is far and away the prettiest car Porsche makes at the moment

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I never experienced any wind intrusion when driving my BS, even at hyper triple digit speeds (I can neither confirm nor deny this is true :censored:).

Are there any differences in sound or wind intrusion levels between the Spyder and GTS, both top down and up?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I really believe that 95% of people who hop into a GTS 4.0 won't want for anything more, either dynamically or emotionally, than it delivers. I do get the appeal of the GT4/Spyder, but the mere fact of their existence doesn't inherently justify springing for one of them over a GTS, I don't think.
Hmmm, I don't know if that's 95%, or 90% or 87% or whatever. The only comparison I have personally is the GT4 vs the CS (both 981 and 718), street and track, and to me there is substantial difference there. And one thing I'll add is that anytime I've had a car (GT3s or Ferraris) for a long time with a broad range of suspension adjustments, it is very nice to be able to tweak the setup to my own particular taste/style over time. So for me, having easily adjustable sway bars and height and a good easy range of camber, all straight out of the box, are all useful things. Going with aftermarket suspension to gain adjustability brings its own challenges and constraints and hassle. Maybe that makes me 5% or drivers or 10% or 2%, I don't know.

I would 100% agree on your last point. Of the course the Spyder doesn't obviate the BGTS. Far from it. The BGTS is for a different use case. Also if it weren't for the BGTS/CGTS, Porsche probably would not have made that cheaper 4.0 to begin with.

Reactions: 75north

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I never experienced any wind intrusion when driving my BS, even at hyper triple digit speeds (I can neither confirm nor deny this is true :censored:).

Are there any differences in sound or wind intrusion levels between the Spyder and GTS, both top down and up?
Top up, I would expect the BGTS to be quieter. It's an insulated multi-layer finished top, and the Spyder is not.

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Spyder is noisier than my 987.2 Boxster top up but you can still hold a conversation at 80mph without raising you voice. Top down- very similar noise levels. In fact the 2.9 flat 6 is louder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts