Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just watched the Autogeful review of the GTS 4.0. To me it seemed the least enthusiast review of a 718 I’ve seen including all the ones they say 4T sounds like crap (it doesn’t).

·
Registered
Warrenpoint in Ireland, not UK! 718S, Macan SD
45 Posts
I dunno, for just a little bit more I could have the marque Porsche 911. Part of the allure of the Cayman/Boxster, at least for me, is it’s basically a mid engine sports car that drives and handles way above its class for a reasonable amount of money. Until the Corvette C8 came out, there wasn’t anything really like it. Once you start getting into 911 pricing, well, you might as well buy a 911.
But then again, you'll probably buy the wrong 911...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dunno, for just a little bit more I could have the marque Porsche 911. Part of the allure of the Cayman/Boxster, at least for me, is it’s basically a mid engine sports car that drives and handles way above its class for a reasonable amount of money. Until the Corvette C8 came out, there wasn’t anything really like it. Once you start getting into 911 pricing, well, you might as well buy a 911.
But the 911 has the engine in the wrong spot....

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
But the 911 has the engine in the wrong spot....
and it's turbo... the N/A 911 is the only true 911.

Porsche p1$$3d all over the 911'ers by neutering the cars soul with a smaller displacement turbo engine. We should all march on Porsche headquarters and protest the obvious error in their ways.

^^^^all sarcasm fellas, don't pop a gasket^^^^

·
Registered
641 Posts

Porsche p1$$3d all over the 911'ers by neutering the cars soul with a smaller displacement turbo engine. We should all march on Porsche headquarters and protest the obvious error in their ways.
^^^^all sarcasm fellas, don't pop a gasket^^^^
Don't forget the ultimate scourge of water cooling. Oh, the shame of it all!

·
Registered
371 Posts

I am just grateful that the Porsche sports cars hasn't been made into EV's yet :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
He can go for a ride in my “Donkey” with me. It’ll kick him in the a$$.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Living at high altitude the turbo 4 will make much more power and torque for me than the NA6. How does the weight and MPG compare? So far the only benefit I see to the NA6 is a little more horse power at the top of the rev range for sea level drivers. Better sound is a joke.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Living at high altitude the turbo 4 will make much more power and torque for me than the NA6. How does the weight and MPG compare? So far the only benefit I see to the NA6 is a little more horse power at the top of the rev range for sea level drivers. Better sound is a joke.
Couldnt agree more turbo is the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Porsche ‘put the soul back into the 718’. . . 911 not required.

I like that guy, far cry better than the arrogant Chris H. (as you can tell I don't like Chris Harris)

AVM I do hope, sincerely, that you like your future GTS4.0

I also hope that for as far as I can tell... the benefit of this car is not based only sound. Because on paper, in nearly all aspects the 2.5GTS is equal to or a better performer? I think the current GTS owners are primed to be sitting on a highly sought after car when the real world starts kicking in. On the other hand, if the 4.0 ends up being vastly superior with marginal monetary increase, they could be sitting on total duds as well.

Flip a coin is where it currently sits... we'll see how it all pans out with some of the first deliveries.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I offered anyone here an exhaust mod that would keep performance essentially the same, lower the quality of sound a fair bit, save 70 lbs of weight and a few thousand dollars, would you take it?

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
If I offered anyone here an exhaust mod that would keep performance essentially the same, lower the quality of sound a fair bit, save 70 lbs of weight and a few thousand dollars, would you take it?
Maybe, maybe not. But then I'm a fan of V-engine throbbing and not of 6's screaming. I love the T4 sound.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
It's been a long day and my brain is on it's last bit of power. I feel like I'm missing something here, are you implying this to the 2.5T or the 4.0NA?

What's a few Grand... 5, 10, 15, 20?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's been a long day and my brain is on it's last bit of power. I feel like I'm missing something here, are you implying this to the 2.5T or the 4.0NA?

What's a few Grand... 5, 10, 15, 20?
I didn’t make my post clear at all. But think of it from either perspective.
If you’re a T4 owner would you spend maybe $5000 (guessing this is the price increase) or so for better sound, about the same speed numbers and 70 lbs more weight?
If you’re an eventual F6 owner would you be willing to save $5000 and shave 70 lbs off your car all for the trade off of a little sound change? I certainly would, but I’m also not an old school Porsche purist. I’m a guy who likes value thrills.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I didn’t make my post clear at all. But think of it from either perspective.
If you’re a T4 owner would you spend maybe $5000 (guessing this is the price increase) or so for better sound, about the same speed numbers and 70 lbs more weight?
If you’re an eventual F6 owner would you be willing to save $5000 and shave 70 lbs off your car all for the trade off of a little sound change? I certainly would, but I’m also not an old school Porsche purist. I’m a guy who likes value thrills.
Makes sense now, yes I've been saying the same thing. I think (personal opinion here) that there are those that will spend the money for the sound. Good for them, they keep the brand alive, but (again personal opinion coming in) I also think that once these cars are put neck to neck the price difference will be even harder to justify based on "sound".

I hope Porsche is sandbagging those numbers (like a lot) on the 4.0 GTS. We know what the 4.0 GT4 is doing and we know what the 2.5 GTS is doing. Hitting the middle of those two is a tight line... go to fast, the GT4 owners will pop a gasket and if it's slower than the 2.5T the newly purchased GTS 4.0 people will have to sell themselves on the fact they spent 5-10K for sound and listen to the 2.5T guys rag them about the mighty 4.0 fail. It's a tough spot Porsche has put themselves in, the only ones they don't need to worry about are the 2.5T people who were disenfranchised from the beginning from uneducated public opinion.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts