Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
As someone who recently bought a 4T Cayman GTS (ordered in June, arrived in Nov of last year), a car which I adore, here's my take on the launch of the 4.0... Here in Spain at least, it would have cost me at least €10k more than what I paid to get the 4.0 (taking into account the price hike and the fact that I would not have got the same level of discount). I was already way past the top end of my budget when I bought the 4T and I think my wife would have pushed hard to veto another €10k on top and as a result perhaps I would never have got the cayman... Having said that, if the 4.0 had been launched by that time, knowing me I would have probably have stretched myself to get the 4.0 as I never like that 'what if?' feeling when buying any product and rightly or wrongly I'm always inclined towards the best model of whatever product I'm buying.

The issue for me would have been the lack of PDK at launch in the 4.0. This is my daily driver used a lot in stop-start traffic and I'm a big devotee of the PDK in general so I would have needed to wait until the end of this year, possibly early next year for the 4.0 PDK version to be available... so all in all, even knowing what I know now about the 4.0 launch, I would probably have still gone ahead and bought my 4T GTS when I did.

In a few years time, when I come to sell it, who knows, perhaps the values of the 4T will have suffered by that extra €10k or more as a result of the 4.0 launch, impossible to know at this stage... it could even help to bolster values, but all in all I would not have waited more than 18 months from when I first ordered mine for the PDK version to become available, so I feel comfortable with my decision.

When all said and done, both cars are amazing, each with their pros and cons and both of them better cars than 95% of the rest of the vehicles on the road... Personally, I actually like the fact that Porsche have invested in the 718 platform with the 4.0. shows they take it seriously. Anyway, that's my two pennies worth...

·
Registered
369 Posts
I hope Porsche is sandbagging those numbers (like a lot) on the 4.0 GTS. We know what the 4.0 GT4 is doing and we know what the 2.5 GTS is doing. Hitting the middle of those two is a tight line... go to fast, the GT4 owners will pop a gasket and if it's slower than the 2.5T the newly purchased GTS 4.0 people will have to sell themselves on the fact they spent 5-10K for sound and listen to the 2.5T guys rag them about the mighty 4.0 fail. It's a tough spot Porsche has put themselves in, the only ones they don't need to worry about are the 2.5T people who were disenfranchised from the beginning from uneducated public opinion.
It would definitely be the most entertaining (for flat-4 owners) if the GTS 4.0 turns out to be slower than the GTS 2.5 :ROFLMAO:
But that being said, Porsche knows what they are doing and have very likely tuned the GTS 4.0 to be exactly as fast as the GTS 2.5 or more realisticly just a little bit faster than the GTS 2.5 without being a threat to the GT4.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It would definitely be the most entertaining (for flat-4 owners) if the GTS 4.0 turns out to be slower than the GTS 2.5 :ROFLMAO:
But that being said, Porsche knows what they are doing and have very likely tuned the GTS 4.0 to be exactly as fast as the GTS 2.5 or more realisticly just a little bit faster than the GTS 2.5 without being a threat to the GT4.
Someone will take both to a racetrack. The track better have long straights or the GTS 4.0 may be a loser.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As someone who recently bought a 4T Cayman GTS (ordered in June, arrived in Nov of last year), a car which I adore, here's my take on the launch of the 4.0... Here in Spain at least, it would have cost me at least €10k more than what I paid to get the 4.0 (taking into account the price hike and the fact that I would not have got the same level of discount). I was already way past the top end of my budget when I bought the 4T and I think my wife would have pushed hard to veto another €10k on top and as a result perhaps I would never have got the cayman... Having said that, if the 4.0 had been launched by that time, knowing me I would have probably have stretched myself to get the 4.0 as I never like that 'what if?' feeling when buying any product and rightly or wrongly I'm always inclined towards the best model of whatever product I'm buying.

The issue for me would have been the lack of PDK at launch in the 4.0. This is my daily driver used a lot in stop-start traffic and I'm a big devotee of the PDK in general so I would have needed to wait until the end of this year, possibly early next year for the 4.0 PDK version to be available... so all in all, even knowing what I know now about the 4.0 launch, I would probably have still gone ahead and bought my 4T GTS when I did.

In a few years time, when I come to sell it, who knows, perhaps the values of the 4T will have suffered by that extra €10k or more as a result of the 4.0 launch, impossible to know at this stage... it could even help to bolster values, but all in all I would not have waited more than 18 months from when I first ordered mine for the PDK version to become available, so I feel comfortable with my decision.

When all said and done, both cars are amazing, each with their pros and cons and both of them better cars than 95% of the rest of the vehicles on the road... Personally, I actually like the fact that Porsche have invested in the 718 platform with the 4.0. shows they take it seriously. Anyway, that's my two pennies worth...
Congrats on the car. The PDK 2.5 GTS is faster than the manual 4.0 GTS at least to 60 MPH, so you already have a leg up. Also, your decision to not wait the ~18 months was excellent - who knows what will happen 18 months from now, but at least you can say you had 18 more months of enjoyment in your life than not :). Faster, less expensive, get to enjoy it now - win, win, win in my book.

And yes, who knows what the future value of the GTS 2.5T will be (I hope it holds its value, great tuning potential and no longer in production so supply will be limited), but for what it's worth, you got a great car regardless of residual and maybe the 18 months of enjoyment might be well worth the €10k - you only live life once, enjoy while you can!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you’re a 4T owner like me that gets pissed at people crapping on our cars I suggest you stay off of YouTube for a while. The GTS4.0 press event means all sorts of YouTube videos talking about how our cars suck, are now worthless, etc. Just FYI.
Noticed myself the funny thing is most of them probably drive fords and dream of owning any porsche

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 718 Cayman GTS
5 Posts
I don't know what everyone's deal is with the 4T sound. Yes it is different, but is it bad... NO. I love my GTS and all the sounds it makes. Those who have said to me that it is not a true Porsche with a flat 4, I say that the flat 6 came after the flat 4. All the Porsche race and sports cars previously had a 4. I like the heritage of it and NO it doesn't sound like a Subaru. Subaru owners wished they had this engine. Oh and now that they have discontinued it this just made my car more rare since they didn't produce all that many 4T GTS's worldwide. Thank you Porsche and thank you for listening to my rant.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Watched a couple of videos of the new 4.0GTS. Looked good, sounded good. Pretty much what I was expecting to be honest. Then went for a drive in my 2.5T GTS and I’m still smiling!!!
Very well said. Thank you.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I read a lot of the reviews about the 718. Read plenty of forum posts here and on Rennlist about the 718. And watched most all of the YT videos about the car. I watched all of Motomans videos on the 718, but this is the video that finally sold me. I love how he explains the issue of MY vs PDK. :)

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I read a lot of the reviews about the 718. Read plenty of forum posts here and on Rennlist about the 718. And watched most all of the YT videos about the car. I watched all of Motomans videos on the 718, but this is the video that finally sold me. I love how he explains the issue of MY vs PDK. :)

I was just about to check out on that video (he's kinda boring) then the dog joined in! Love pups!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was just about to check out on that video (he's kinda boring) then the dog joined in! Love pups!
I generally like his reviews. I think he's kind of funny and hits on the salient points. Love dogs too. My guy is a bit bigger than his so he's not getting rides in the Porsche lol

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I generally like his reviews. I think he's kind of funny and hits on the salient points. Love dogs too. My guy is a bit bigger than his so he's not getting rides in the Porsche lol
mastiff & boxer... neither are allowed in either of our Porsche's. Thats what the old Mercedes ML is for!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Slightly different angle. Personally, the smiles per mile don't change with the capacity of the engine, the way it is aspirated or number of cylinders if the underlying performance numbers are too subtle for my untrained driving capabilities to feel it in the real world. Acknowledging a host of posts above with the same message.

Porsche might have released the 4.0 at just the "right" time for the T4 to hold its value long term (post downturn) and the 4.0 to be the continuity GTS from model year 2020 onwards, equally holding value.

According to my SA (UK), who called me a day after launch, they had 10 orders already. My thought bubble - pull the other one! Why would you call a nobody like me to offer me one of the first slots? I declined and then my trained ear picked up the sigh and the slight drop in tone.

Professionally I have a rare insight into the supply chains of various industries - often an early warning of things to come. Something my UK based 718 buddies have heard me say since the middle of last year, the economy was going only one way from my indicators. I'd be lying if I told you I knew when exactly the big "visual" downturn was going to happen. We have now though. The trigger was Covid19.

The downturn creates opportunities with deals to be had with OPCs needing to hit targets and move stock! Good if you're currently in the market for a new car, including a GTS 4.0. But most people will want a PDK. So the sales numbers, in my personal opinion, won't show that the 4.0 will be more popular untill the end of the year - possibly.

Long pre-amble to say; Personal spending is going to be reigned in. Finance companies are going to be more picky who they'll lend money to. Cash buyers might feel a little poorer after the recent correction - notwithstanding today's 4.5% (dead cat?) bounce.

The release just now a downturn starts to manifest itself might just mean the expected 4.0 NA buyer base might never materialise, leaving the majority of GTS stock as the 2.5T.

Porsche ‘put the soul back into the 718’. . . 911 not required.

And just a comment on this video - Rory Reid doesn't know his ar*e from his elbow. And this video proves it. He raved about a Renault Twingo. It has the engine in the back, like a 911. OMG, so did a NSU. that wasn't a great car either!

·
Registered
553 Posts
@Nosmo Agree coming weeks may be a good time to strike a deal on a new car, given the uncertainty. IMO, if economic sentiments get really bad screaming deals can be had in both autos and the stock market. However, I doubt it will come to that.
Hi Chester - Catch 22. Who doesn't like a deal? Than again, not when the economy is on it's bum with all the personal consequences that come with that.

·
Super Moderator
1,442 Posts
@Nosmo IMO, if economic sentiments get really bad screaming deals can be had in both autos and the stock market. However, I doubt it will come to that.
Well, in the stock market there is a chance on making money after striking a good deal. In autos, never! :eek: Unless you buy an air-cooled Porsche with low miles, perfect condition, full receipts for like $30k...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

But that's called a mugging...;)

41 - 60 of 69 Posts