Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving in the canyons this afternoon and noticed that each time I turned the steering wheel for a turn there was a single click when I went off center. It happened in both directions. I have had the car a little over a week and hadn't heard this sound before today. I have the multi-function steering wheel but do not have power steering plus. I was running the air conditioner and was not in sport mode. Has anybody else heard that noise?

Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does this happen with the engine off, or at idle when stopped? If so, the turn indicator reset mechanism might need lubrication or adjustment.

I hope you can reproduce this at the dealership.

Good luck!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried all variables that I could control. I even went to a cul-de-sac and did a few circles in both directions thinking that it might be a wire or piece of plastic that is getting tapped when I go off center with the steering wheel, so going lock-to-lock might move the impediment. It didn't fix it then, but when I drove the car today, the sound was gone.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I guess that's good news. However the steering clicking might be temperature-sensitive, either through friction heat-up as you drove through the twisty canyons, or due to the cabin temperature with the A/C on. If the sound comes back, note these conditions, and also try to record the clicking, perhaps with a phone on the steering column.

There is also a lot of information on the web about these issues.

Please let us know how it turns (pun intended) out!

·
892 Posts
Well I guess that's good news. However the steering clicking might be temperature-sensitive, either through friction heat-up as you drove through the twisty canyons, or due to the cabin temperature with the A/C on. If the sound comes back, note these conditions, and also try to record the clicking, perhaps with a phone on the steering column.

There is also a lot of information on the web about these issues.

Please let us know how it turns (pun intended) out!
As Ironman stated a video & sound recording will help greatly if it's at all possible. If the OPC can't replicate the issue then you'll need that to get any interest from Porsche themselves. I know that from a previous minor issue with my old 981 (not related to yours) which fortunately I was eventually able to provide. Before that I think they thought I was simply imagining the issue............. My old car originally had an issue with the air con. Under certain conditions of high humidity it would make a sound similar to the last remnants of a drink being drained through a straw by a young child. Both really annoying & not doing the air con much good as it was sucking water back into the system. Although it happened often it was also very hard to replicate whenever I managed to get to the dealer & required numerous visits. After the recording (which I was able to provide fairly early into the process) they slowly changed various elements of the heating / air con system & made a couple of minor modifications until the issue was eventually rectified (only after about 1200 miles of travel back & fore to the OPC though, as well as numerous overnight hotel stays). GET THAT RECORDING IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your comments/suggestions; this is why I like having a resource like your collective minds. I haven't heard the noise the last couple of days, but if it does start up again, I will record it and post it.

·
892 Posts
Thank you all for your comments/suggestions; this is why I like having a resource like your collective minds. I haven't heard the noise the last couple of days, but if it does start up again, I will record it and post it.
Don't get me wrong, with my issue on my old car the OPC were trying their best, but the Porsche factory usually require them to send video recordings of a problem (especially if it's a previously unknown issue). The OPC told me that themselves, so if you have a problem that's intermittent then it's very much in your interests to record any possible evidence at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.