Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the stock stereo system? I mostly listen to sports talk radio. Not sure the $1k to upgrade to the Bose system is worth it.

Similar question for the optional NAV. Why spend $1,700 on NAV when I wouldn't use it that often and already have NAV for free on my phone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My brother (only listens to to talk) stuck with the base stereo on his new BMW – he's fine with that. He likes his NAV though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have the stock stereo in my BMW. I listen to a mix of music and sports talk. I have no complaints on it, and have never once said "Man, I wish I had the Harmon Kardon". I don't miss the NAV either considering I can use my phone.

Should I end up getting the 718 when my BMW lease is up I doubt I'll upgrade to the Bose. But then I'll also be doing a low option build.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Does anyone have the stock stereo system? I mostly listen to sports talk radio. Not sure the $1k to upgrade to the Bose system is worth it.

Similar question for the optional NAV. Why spend $1,700 on NAV when I wouldn't use it that often and already have NAV for free on my phone?
I am getting the Bose stereo--I almost went with the stock stereo--thinking that I wouldn't really use it that much. I didn't get navigation though, but I did get Connect. I have Carplay with my Macan and I really like using my phone for navigation, plus it is about half the price of Porsche navigation and much better IMHO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like I said, my brother is fine with the base system. i thought there was something wrong with it and kept trying to adjust the sound until he told me that's the way it is. I play and/or listen to music pretty much all the time I'm awake. Went with the Burmester myself.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the base sound system but no NAV. I put my favorite CDs on the built-in hard drive and listen to those. I have no problem with the quality of the sound, but living in AZ the windows are down and the music is off most of the time. I occasionally use my iPhone for directions so I don't miss the NAV system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the bose and navigation in my 718. I can live without the navigation (although it is pretty cool having the small screen right next to the tach), but the bose stereo is great. It must have subwoofers hidden somewhere because it shakes the mirrors and kicks you in the chest when the bass is turned up. For 900$ it's almost worth it, but if I was ordering my car instead of buying it off the lot I might not get it. The sport exhaust sounds way better anyway

·
Registered
115 Posts
I enjoy music, but am not an audiophile. I turn up 80s big hair music when it is on. My current stock Toyota system sounds ok, but could be louder. LOL I test drove a base Cayman with the Bose system yesterday. I never turned the radio on. I am about to order my Cayman and I have never heard either system, so I may order the stock system. Has anyone heard both the stock and Bose, so they can compare and comment? Is ordering the stock stereo a big mistake?

·
892 Posts
I enjoy music, but am not an audiophile. I turn up 80s big hair music when it is on. My current stock Toyota system sounds ok, but could be louder. LOL I test drove a base Cayman with the Bose system yesterday. I never turned the radio on. I am about to order my Cayman and I have never heard either system, so I may order the stock system. Has anyone heard both the stock and Bose, so they can compare and comment? Is ordering the stock stereo a big mistake?
Nobody can really advise you safely on that, you really need to do that comparison yourself. It's a personal thing & whilst some are happy with stock it wouldn't suit me & neither would the Bose for that matter. I actually have the Burmester system in my own car which is considerably better than the Bose which in itself is better than the stock, but truth be told I don't particularly rate that either & I wish they offered better. It's alright but nothing to get particularly excited over, but then I'm very fussy about music reproduction. It certainly goes loud but there isn't really a great deal of finesse about the overall presentation. However should you end up preferring the Bose over stock & wouldn't consider the Burmester on cost, or the other alternative of aftermarket installation, then why would you even hesitate to specify it? I know budgets get stretched, but the difference in cost in this case is a pittance & only roughly the same as a certain new smart phone. It'll also probably be with you for longer that a smart phone as well, yet people can't wait to throw money away on the latest piece of garbage like that & will even queue for hours to do so. I just don't get it!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was the OP on this thread and after listening to both I decided to go with the BOSE system. The BOSE was definitely an upgrade in sound quality. Like you, I enjoy music, but I'm no audiophile. I'm sure the Burmester sounds great but there is no way I was spending $4,690 on a car stereo system. Since I plan on keeping the car for a while, I figured spending an extra $990 on the BOSE system was a worthwhile upgrade.

Reactions: TheLip

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm a car audio aficionado used to compete in sound quality contests and do my own installs

that said never heard the base system mine came with the bose

couple of things the bose is good enough and a good deal for the price I have no plans to replace it and i'm pretty picky even with top down it images decent enough and volume is adequate

regarding the burmaster
for 5k you can build an aftermarket system that will rival a movie theater or rock concert in volume and quality I could make an educated guess its not worth it when price / performance are compared

if you are that picky build your own and have a competent shop install it

example I spent less than 5k on the system in my jeep that includes Morel three way front stage and two alpine amps totaling over 2000 watts and a JL top of the line 12" sub
it is sublime

any decent shop can keep your head unit (for nav and car interface) and use a line driver box to add amps and speakers of your choice

·
892 Posts
I'm a car audio aficionado used to compete in sound quality contests and do my own installs

that said never heard the base system mine came with the bose

couple of things the bose is good enough and a good deal for the price I have no plans to replace it and i'm pretty picky even with top down it images decent enough and volume is adequate

regarding the burmaster
for 5k you can build an aftermarket system that will rival a movie theater or rock concert in volume and quality I could make an educated guess its not worth it when price / performance are compared

if you are that picky build your own and have a competent shop install it

example I spent less than 5k on the system in my jeep that includes Morel three way front stage and two alpine amps totaling over 2000 watts and a JL top of the line 12" sub
it is sublime

any decent shop can keep your head unit (for nav and car interface) and use a line driver box to add amps and speakers of your choice
Personally I'm not after rock concert or movie theatre & that doesn't interest me one bit. The Burmester goes loud, in fact very loud, but I'm after delicacy, finesse, timing, imaging & the ability to reveal detail & subtle little nuances in a performance that most systems simply fail to communicate properly. As I've said the base or Bose wouldn't suit me at all & I'll leave it at rather than communicating my true thoughts so as not to cause offence. My wife's 2 series BMW has a Harman Kardon system & that's overall pretty lousy as well. I've also yet to hear a custom install I was impressed with either to be honest, though In fairness I've not heard that many, so please don't take umbrage. But the ones I have heard sounded universally awful & far worse than the Burmester system in my 718. Maybe I just want too much in a car environment? But whatever, despite the outlay for the best they had available I still don't listen to the Burmester system very often as I find it ultimately rather unsatisfactory. Custom install isn't even an option in the U.K in any case, not if you intend to take out the extended warranty after the original manufacturers warranty expires that is. If it was an option I'd certainly be prepared to investigate it further even though what I've heard so far has failed to impress. I'd also be willing to spend considerably more than 5k if it meant I could achieve what I desire. However our original warranties last for 3 years & we can continue to extend them on a biennial basis to cover up to a full 15 years. The extended warranty is excellent & is a full front to back warranty. I've made a couple of claims with previous Porsches & the warranty fully proved its worth. However fitment of any aftermarket parts totally excludes you being able to take one out & that even applies to something as rudimentary as a none Porsche battery (seriously it's that strict). You'll find that because it's such good value & comes packaged with vehicle breakdown assistance & recovery it's still taken out by a fairly large proportion of U.K Porsche owners, despite its extremely restrictive conditions. It's probably the main reason why the accessory market for the Porsche brand is so small here for late model cars. I've only bought brand new Porsche's & as a result none of the three have had any form of modification carried out whatsoever because to do so would have excluded that car from the warranty scheme. :(

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
For me its the other way around.
I am a full blown Audiophile and have been so for the last 30years.
For me the stereo in a car dont even come close to what i want so i dont realy care.
As long as i can have some background music im happy.

Burmester does some realy nice Product, if you have a big wallet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I had the Bose Surround (circa 2006) in my 987 Boxster for 12 years, now the base/stock Sound Package in my 718, listening to the same CDs. So I feel safe in saying the current base sound is at least as good as the Bose of old. How much the Bose (or car audio generally) has improved over that span, I've no idea. For me the Porsche is about driving experience not listening to music. That said, on the rare occasions I play music in the car, I like it to sound Porsche-level audio quality to my ears and the base system delivers that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd also be willing to spend considerably more than 5k if it meant I could achieve what I desire.
You UK guys must really like your music!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, its such a small space in cockpit and no real sound dampening built in - it seems a little bit of over-kill to invest in a premium system although I'm not that much into the ambiances of fine music.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally I'm not after rock concert or movie theatre & that doesn't interest me one bit. The Burmester goes loud, in fact very loud, but I'm after delicacy, finesse, timing, imaging & the ability to reveal detail & subtle little nuances in a performance that most systems simply fail to communicate properly. As I've said the base or Bose wouldn't suit me at all & I'll leave it at rather than communicating my true thoughts so as not to cause offence. My wife's 2 series BMW has a Harman Kardon system & that's overall pretty lousy as well. I've also yet to hear a custom install I was impressed with either to be honest, though In fairness I've not heard that many, so please don't take umbrage. But the ones I have heard sounded universally awful & far worse than the Burmester system in my 718. Maybe I just want too much in a car environment? But whatever, despite the outlay for the best they had available I still don't listen to the Burmester system very often as I find it ultimately rather unsatisfactory. Custom install isn't even an option in the U.K in any case, not if you intend to take out the extended warranty after the original manufacturers warranty expires that is. If it was an option I'd certainly be prepared to investigate it further even though what I've heard so far has failed to impress. I'd also be willing to spend considerably more than 5k if it meant I could achieve what I desire. However our original warranties last for 3 years & we can continue to extend them on a biennial basis to cover up to a full 15 years. The extended warranty is excellent & is a full front to back warranty. I've made a couple of claims with previous Porsches & the warranty fully proved its worth. However fitment of any aftermarket parts totally excludes you being able to take one out & that even applies to something as rudimentary as a none Porsche battery (seriously it's that strict). You'll find that because it's such good value & comes packaged with vehicle breakdown assistance & recovery it's still taken out by a fairly large proportion of U.K Porsche owners, despite its extremely restrictive conditions. It's probably the main reason why the accessory market for the Porsche brand is so small here for late model cars. I've only bought brand new Porsche's & as a result none of the three have had any form of modification carried out whatsoever because to do so would have excluded that car from the warranty scheme. :(
the speakers and amp burmester uses are a compromise to meet a price point
the aftermarket is an order of magnitude better

audition a set of morels with about 1k watts behind them and you will understand what I am talking about

that being said speaker placement is as important as quality of components and going aftermarket allows you to optimize that including time of arrival at the listeners ears via sound processor added after the head unit

for 5k ... you will be happy just need to find a competent shop and installer

you really want to go for it .....use all mcintosh components

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Guys ... I've posted about this stuff in several other places:

- The Bose and Burmester systems are routed through a fiber-optic control unit called a MOST box. The latest MOST protocol for mobile applications is MOST 150, which PCM4 uses for these systems. Aftermarket makers of OEM-integration gear such as MObridge are only just now releasing gear that can deal with MOST 150. Bottom line: It is nearly impossible to upgrade the Bose and Burmester system in the aftermarket.
- The base Sound Package Plus does NOT use a MOST box -- and in the 718, it doesn't even run off of an outboard amplifier like the 981 did. Everything is inside the HU. This is good -- it makes the audio upgradeable in almost every way.

Soooo ... if you plan to (or think you would like to) do anything to improve the audio, do NOT order either the Bose or the Burmester upgrades.

Other notes:
- I am vehemently anti-Bose for a number of reasons I won't get into here. I don't want that logo in my car, and I know others feel the same way.
- I plan on upgrading my car's SPP (yes, I ordered it on purpose) in the spring. The plan: upgraded speakers, a six-channel amp, and a DSP unit. I already have an amp; I can do the rest (and have it put in by an installer with years of experience on Porsches) for less than $2,500 -- and it will sound better than the Burmester.
- The 718 Cayman has rear-fill speakers; the 718 Boxster does not. Why do I mention this? Your priorities in upgrading the audio in each car will be vastly different. With the Cayman's rear fill and 7" door drivers, a subwoofer is almost certainly not necessary if the right replacement door driver and installation is chosen. With the Boxster, a sub will probably do wonders because the car's interior is essentially an infinite baffle when the top is down, and is far less sonically reflective than the Cayman when the top is up. You will want more power in a Boxster, too, because ambient noise will be higher and you'll need it to hear any sort of bass frequency cleanly. Essentially, the Cayman is a SQ (sound quality) platform, and the Boxster is a SPL (sound pressure level -- i.e., volume) platform.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys ... I've posted about this stuff in several other places:

- The Bose and Burmester systems are routed through a fiber-optic control unit called a MOST box. The latest MOST protocol for mobile applications is MOST 150, which PCM4 uses for these systems. Aftermarket makers of OEM-integration gear such as MObridge are only just now releasing gear that can deal with MOST 150. Bottom line: It is nearly impossible to upgrade the Bose and Burmester system in the aftermarket.
- The base Sound Package Plus does NOT use a MOST box -- and in the 718, it doesn't even run off of an outboard amplifier like the 981 did. Everything is inside the HU. This is good -- it makes the audio upgradeable in almost every way.

Soooo ... if you plan to (or think you would like to) do anything to improve the audio, do NOT order either the Bose or the Burmester upgrades.

Other notes:
- I am vehemently anti-Bose for a number of reasons I won't get into here. I don't want that logo in my car, and I know others feel the same way.
- I plan on upgrading my car's SPP (yes, I ordered it on purpose) in the spring. The plan: upgraded speakers, a six-channel amp, and a DSP unit. I already have an amp; I can do the rest (and have it put in by an installer with years of experience on Porsches) for less than $2,500 -- and it will sound better than the Burmester.
- The 718 Cayman has rear-fill speakers; the 718 Boxster does not. Why do I mention this? Your priorities in upgrading the audio in each car will be vastly different. With the Cayman's rear fill and 7" door drivers, a subwoofer is almost certainly not necessary if the right replacement door driver and installation is chosen. With the Boxster, a sub will probably do wonders because the car's interior is essentially an infinite baffle when the top is down, and is far less sonically reflective than the Cayman when the top is up. You will want more power in a Boxster, too, because ambient noise will be higher and you'll need it to hear any sort of bass frequency cleanly. Essentially, the Cayman is a SQ (sound quality) platform, and the Boxster is a SPL (sound pressure level -- i.e., volume) platform.
a voice of reason!

·
Registered
476 Posts
i have the base system in mine and ordered it that way knowing i would be doing an almost complete overhaul of the system. i went with the connect vs nav as it's cheaper, i use my phone for nav already and i used the price difference for more performance upgrades.

i've been an audiophile for a long, long time. the stock system in my cayman is impressive for what it is, and i would venture to guess that it would be more than adequate for the vast majority of owners. i listened to a car with the bose and while it does sound better than the base i was not impressed. never heard the bur so i can't comment on that.

over the winter and early spring i will be doing the install myself. starts with a helix dsp2, front stage will be dynaudio esotar2 series, sub will be my cherished alto mobile falstaff 12 and everything will be powered by an arc xdiV2 1100.5.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts