Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. I have a 718 Cayman S I got back in January. It's my first Porsche and I absolutely love it. It has PDK, Sport Chrono, but no PASM.

My question is, considering the new suspension setup in the 718 (compared to the 981 and 987,) does PASM make that much of a difference over the stock suspension? Is it very noticeable?

·
Registered
211 Posts
After test driving a non-PASM 718 Boxster S, I ordered my 718 S with PASM based on my experience with my earlier 98x Boxsters and Caymans. In the 98x cars, PASM in normal mode makes the ride even more supple and makes you wonder how the Porsche suspension wizards can make a suspension that is so comfortable and forgiving, for that level of handling. On the street, the handling of both the PASM and non-PASM cars are both great - not at all that different given the speed limitations of street driving. In the 98x cars, PASM in sport mode was usually too unforgiving for our crappy roads, but on smooth tracks, it was sublime.

So in general, I'd answer your question as follows - Very noticeable? For street use, I'd say "no" based on my experience - noticeable? "yes". It's more about the $'s you want to spend (and also the look - PASM lowers the body 10 mm). Another thought - another reason to order PASM is if you upgrade to the 20" wheels (I did) - makes the ride less jarring.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I test drove both. Both on 20" wheels, one with PASM, one without. I agree with @photonscience , I could not push the 718 hard enough on the road to notice a significant difference. If I would order a 718 for track use I would probably order PASM. For daily street use I decided to skip it and order it with 19" wheels for additional cushioning. I also like that it will sit 10mm higher so I don't have to fear every speed bump. Still looks great that way I think.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After test driving a non-PASM 718 Boxster S, I ordered my 718 S with PASM based on my experience with my earlier 98x Boxsters and Caymans. In the 98x cars, PASM in normal mode makes the ride even more supple and makes you wonder how the Porsche suspension wizards can make a suspension that is so comfortable and forgiving, for that level of handling. On the street, the handling of both the PASM and non-PASM cars are both great - not at all that different given the speed limitations of street driving. In the 98x cars, PASM in sport mode was usually too unforgiving for our crappy roads, but on smooth tracks, it was sublime.

So in general, I'd answer your question as follows - Very noticeable? For street use, I'd say "no" based on my experience - noticeable? "yes". It's more about the $'s you want to spend (and also the look - PASM lowers the body 10 mm). Another thought - another reason to order PASM is if you upgrade to the 20" wheels (I did) - makes the ride less jarring.

Thanks photoscience. To sum it up in my head, would you say, that overall, PASM in it's Normal mode is more comfortable than a non PASM stock suspension? I plan to order a 2021 BS soon. Going for the 19" wheels. Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks photoscience. To sum it up in my head, would you say, that overall, PASM in it's Normal mode is more comfortable than a non PASM stock suspension? I plan to order a 2021 BS soon. Going for the 19" wheels. Thanks.
Although the original posts in this thread are now over three years old, I'm going to jump in with my personal observations, Curvenator. I have a 718 S with 20" wheels and PASM. There is a pronounced difference in the ride with PASM in Sport compared to Normal mode. So much so, and the additional feel of the road it transmits, that it's the first option I'd check after PDK. It yields the ride I'm looking for in a 2-seat, lightweight(?), 350HP sports car riding a few inches off the road. Unfortunately I can't say whether it helps soften the ride (in Normal mode) compared to a non-PASM car on 20" wheels since I can't compare, nor can I comment from experience about the ride with or without PASM on 19s. What I read before I checked the box was PASM was "necessary" when buying 20" wheels, else the ride would be too harsh. Again, I don't have experience without, but I do not find it harsh with PASM in either Normal or Sport mode, only noticeably "sportier" in Sport than Normal. I hope that helps, but I fear maybe not?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I mostly drive in Sport+ with the suspension in normal mode. The roads here aren't terrible, but with it on, you do feel more of the road registering in the cockpit. Highway driving and on good road surfaces, the suspension is in sport mode. The car feels more planted and the roll is less pronounced during lane changes and turns. My Boxster has 20" wheels.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've not driven a non-PASM car. I agree with others here. With PASM set to normal on 20" wheels, I am amazed how good the ride is. I would not have thought it was possible to ride that well in a sports car that handles so well with very low profile tyres. With PASM set to sport, it is noticeably harder and you start to pickup the small joins in roads etc. I can't say it suddenly goes through corners much quicker, but it does feel more direct.

Having not driven a car without PASM, I can't say, but if non-PASM was equivalent in ride to PASM normal, I would probably be happy with that. If it is closer to PASM sport, I would say PASM is preferred for me. I do use sports mode on a nice canyon road, and it is better, but not as much better as the ride improvement on normal driving in normal mode. And it still handles great in normal mode!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Having not driven a car without PASM, I can't say, but if non-PASM was equivalent in ride to PASM normal, I would probably be happy with that. If it is closer to PASM sport, I would say PASM is preferred for me. I do use sports mode on a nice canyon road, and it is better, but not as much better as the ride improvement on normal driving in normal mode. And it still handles great in normal mode!
My understanding/impression is that a non-PASM car on 20"tires is neither as "plush" as PASM-Normal, nor as stiff as PASM-Sport. So I suppose somewhere in between?

·
Registered
42 Posts
FWIW, I have 20" and non-PASM (CPO'ed). Finding a CPO with PASM and Chrono was... well, not happening within my price range. I find the ride just fine, but in Florida with relatively smooth roads and not alot of potholes. I only wish I got PASM because of wanting to track the car, and coming from an Audi TT with a Bilstein coilover. I plan to add those or Ohlins for track events.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have standard suspension on my 718 with 20" wheels and the ride is very comfortable. However, I would definitely recommend getting PASM if only for the visual of the lowered vehicle. I find the standard suspension to ride a little high and will be looking at lowering my car at some point.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Always an interesting subject. It's also true we are always looking for ways to justify our own choices! It my case it wasn't a choice, as I took a car off the lot. I do not have PASM.

If you aren't tracking I can see two reason why you might not want PASM. (There I go, justifying again.) People report that Sport mode with PASM is pretty hard riding, appropriate for tracking but not so comfortable on the street. That means if you have PASM you will spend most of your street time in non-Sport mode. As I understand it, the non-PASM ride is in between the two modes of PASM. That means that of the two us, I'd have the firmer suspension for normal street use. Of course that is balanced against your lower ride height. Which is better for handling, the lower height or the firmer suspension? I have 20" wheels too and I do not find it overly harsh. The handling is subjective but I see no clear winner.

The second reason can be summed up in one picture.

I would not want to give up 10mm of ground clearance in this sort of situation!

So it all depends on your use. If you aren't tracking, PASM has its downsides.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not tracking, but with the kinds of roads we have where I live, you only need some good pavement to want the benefits of PASM in sport mode. It should be clear that PASM sport mode is not a silver bullet that makes your car "handle better". It all depends on the road, the road surface, and how you intend to drive over it.

Sometimes it will be easier to go fast in PASM normal mode. I've got 20 inchers, and I can leave it in PASM normal, in which the handling is outstanding and the ride is fine for anything better than very bad pavement. That's how I do most of my driving.

But when I'm on the new pavement on 421, or 28 south to Franklin NC, then it's good to have PASM sport mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts