Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
Porsche's winter combo is expensive but you don't need the best high-performance wheels and tires to drive in snow.
I opted to try better wheels for this car. She's already cost a sh1tload so what's a few hundred more! We previously had the cheap TR wheels on a Legacy GT. One good pothole here in town totally destroyed two of them in one serving. I'm hoping these might be a bit stronger!馃槉 Additionally, since the tires are AS's, the better wheels will see more use.
FWIW

Registered
2021 Boxster
Winter: best top down weather. Not as much sunscreen needed. No tyre change required. Have to be extra vigilant for "snow birds". (It's a USA migratory flock that heads South in the Winter months.) They tend to clutter up the highways and byways, beaches, bars, restaurants, etc. Usually gone by mid-April.

I'm just the messenger. Don't get mad at me.....

Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
Winter: best top down weather. Not as much sunscreen needed. No tyre change required. Have to be extra vigilant for "snow birds". (It's a USA migratory flock that heads South in the Winter months.) They tend to clutter up the highways and byways, beaches, bars, restaurants, etc. Usually gone by mid-April.

I'm just the messenger. Don't get mad at me.....
Many years ago I lived in St. Pete and it was an unspoken rule that one-way streets were not necessarily one-way during the winter months. Invariably you would sight the occasional big car, usually a Caddy or a Lincoln, coming at you on a one-way. Look closely and you would see a pair of eyes just under the top rim of the steering wheel.

Registered
2021 Boxster PDK
I'm planning on replacing the tires on my Boxster with A/S tires next fall after I wear out my Pirellis. In the meantime, I will be putting the car up for the winter in our heated garage/hangar. The plan is to wash and clean thoroughly, over inflate the tires, set on mats (thanks GTS), add Stabil, plug in my Porsche charger, and cover it up. Next year, with A/S tires on, I will keep the car available for sunny days and dry roads.

Registered
Many years ago I lived in St. Pete and it was an unspoken rule that one-way streets were not necessarily one-way during the winter months. Invariably you would sight the occasional big car, usually a Caddy or a Lincoln, coming at you on a one-way. Look closely and you would see a pair of eyes just under the top rim of the steering wheel.
I have always felt that when conditions were out of the ordinary, for example with snow on the ground, it more imperative, not less, to follow the rules to maintain non-chaotic traffic flow and safety. But of course you didn't mention snow. Since it was Flarda (phonetic spelling of Florida), you were obviously speaking of the seasonal variation in the driving population.o_O

Registered
I'm planning on replacing the tires on my Boxster with A/S tires next fall after I wear out my Pirellis. In the meantime, I will be putting the car up for the winter in our heated garage/hangar. The plan is to wash and clean thoroughly, over inflate the tires, set on mats (thanks GTS), add Stabil, plug in my Porsche charger, and cover it up. Next year, with A/S tires on, I will keep the car available for sunny days and dry roads.
Don't forget the critter repellants - moth balls, Irish Spring soap, and/or "Fresh Cab" rodent repellent. The little critters can do a LOT of damage to your wiring.

Registered
2021 Boxster
Sorry, Raven. I admit to being an occasional "snowbird ". I try to drive responsibly. :rolleyes:
Belive me Annie, it wasn't directed at you all...... You hit the nail on the head: it was for the "large" vehicles driven by someone with blueish hair and a pair of eyeballs that peered over the dash below the upper rim of the steering wheel. All Porsche's are more than welcome to our climate zone....... Happy Holidays All!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.