Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Front 31mm:
Rear 25.4mm:
Joshua, my experience with sway bars in the past has been to dial out understeer as this is built into most cars for safety. IMO the 718 is not really prone to understeer but often oversteer so just wondering what the practical advantage is of this upgrade? Certainly as far as upgrades go this is reasonably priced so wondering what sort bang for your buck it provides.

Also my car is lowered on coil-overs so I'm wondering if that has upset my stock "Sport" bars and I do struggle to dial out oversteer/rear drift on high speed sweepers. Just wondering if the sway bar upgrade is worth trying?

·
Vendor
349 Posts
Upgraded swaybars will flatten the car out in the turns with minimal reduction in ride quality. They also are adjustable so you can tune the under/oversteer exactly how you want it. The front is a 991 GT3 bar and the rear is made by Tarett.

What spring rates are you currently running?

Joshua, my experience with sway bars in the past has been to dial out understeer as this is built into most cars for safety. IMO the 718 is not really prone to understeer but often oversteer so just wondering what the practical advantage is of this upgrade? Certainly as far as upgrades go this is reasonably priced so wondering what sort bang for your buck it provides.

Also my car is lowered on coil-overs so I'm wondering if that has upset my stock "Sport" bars and I do struggle to dial out oversteer/rear drift on high speed sweepers. Just wondering if the sway bar upgrade is worth trying?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Upgraded swaybars will flatten the car out in the turns with minimal reduction in ride quality. They also are adjustable so you can tune the under/oversteer exactly how you want it. The front is a 991 GT3 bar and the rear is made by Tarett.

What spring rates are you currently running?
Hi Joshua, thanks for your comments. My spring rates are front: 457lbs and rear: 514lbs. Front camber -3.5 and Rear -3. Toe is 0 up front and 1.5mm in at rear.

The cars handling is excellent on twisties and slower speed corners < 65mph, but higher speed 75-100mph the back gets a little loose at the limit causing a little oversteer requiring correction. This was with the dampers set to firm and the rear dampers approx 1-2 click firmer than front.

I tried softening the dampers by say 3 or 4 clicks and making the rear approx 2 clicks softer than the front (opposite to above). I think this did help with rear end high speed grip but I felt like it reduced lower speed rear grip so I'm not convinced this was the solution.

As mentioned I'm wondering whether the bar upgrade will help things or any other tips would be much appreciated?

·
Vendor
349 Posts
That's a nice setup. Sway bars will compliment those rates well.
The sways will keep the car flat; utilizing more of the inside tires grip and reducing camber loss in compression.

What kind of tires are and pressures are you running? Street use mostly?

Hi Joshua, thanks for your comments. My spring rates are front: 457lbs and rear: 514lbs. Front camber -3.5 and Rear -3. Toe is 0 up front and 1.5mm in at rear.

The cars handling is excellent on twisties and slower speed corners < 65mph, but higher speed 75-100mph the back gets a little loose at the limit causing a little oversteer requiring correction. This was with the dampers set to firm and the rear dampers approx 1-2 click firmer than front.

I tried softening the dampers by say 3 or 4 clicks and making the rear approx 2 clicks softer than the front (opposite to above). I think this did help with rear end high speed grip but I felt like it reduced lower speed rear grip so I'm not convinced this was the solution.

As mentioned I'm wondering whether the bar upgrade will help things or any other tips would be much appreciated?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That's a nice setup. Sway bars will compliment those rates well.
The sways will keep the car flat; utilizing more of the inside tires grip and reducing camber loss in compression.

What kind of tires are and pressures are you running? Street use mostly?
Thanks my car is mainly track and weekend mountain roads. That sounds good about the bars. Do they much affect on ride quality? Not that it could get much worse with mine with the mono and pillow balls.
The tires are Trofeo R and I aim for 32 psi even but our sessions are so short (~15-20min) and spaced that the range is often 26/28 to 33 so I haven't done much with the tire pressures due to the variability across the session but I'm thinking to try softening the rear next time.
Is there much to gain in your experience from unequal tire pressures front/rear?

·
Vendor
349 Posts
Sway bars have very little impact on ride quality. They equivalent spring rates would be undrivable on the road.

Those sound like good starting pressures.

Thanks my car is mainly track and weekend mountain roads. That sounds good about the bars. Do they much affect on ride quality? Not that it could get much worse with mine with the mono and pillow balls.
The tires are Trofeo R and I aim for 32 psi even but our sessions are so short (~15-20min) and spaced that the range is often 26/28 to 33 so I haven't done much with the tire pressures due to the variability across the session but I'm thinking to try softening the rear next time.
Is there much to gain in your experience from unequal tire pressures front/rear?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts