·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,543 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha yeah the 718 suspension handled it w ease. The only way it could be a challenge is if you were going too fast and w so many fellow riders on that road that’s an unacceptable risk in my mind. Best to keep it safe and just enjoy the curves. Wet would be fun - it rains plenty in western NC so maybe I’ll get to do that some day.

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S, APR, Ohlins
267 Posts
Haha yeah the 718 suspension handled it w ease. The only way it could be a challenge is if you were going too fast and w so many fellow riders on that road that’s an unacceptable risk in my mind. Best to keep it safe and just enjoy the curves. Wet would be fun - it rains plenty in western NC so maybe I’ll get to do that some day.
Yes, you don’t need to pretend it’s a track to enjoy the road and your car. You might trigger others to post their favorite Tail Pics! This is my pre-P-Car with my wing man.
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Gas Elbow Drawing Illustration Art

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,543 Posts
How much would it be to ship the car to the US and back to EU?
It would be a good road trip to visit some of the nice places and race tracks.
This might help:
Temporarily Importing Cars from Europe
Non-residents or visitors can temporarily import a car from Europe for up to one year. This import has to correspond with the car owner’s arrival into the country to be valid. Cars imported this way do not have to conform to US standards, but sale is prohibited. A major restriction is the car must leave the country before the year expires. In many cases this type of import is used for events, tours, or races as they don’t need to be in the country for long.

To start shipping a car from Europe to the US, please fill out our online quote form or call in at 1-562-408-6677.

I think you'd have an epic trip and we would love to have you tour.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
This might help:
Temporarily Importing Cars from Europe
Non-residents or visitors can temporarily import a car from Europe for up to one year. This import has to correspond with the car owner’s arrival into the country to be valid. Cars imported this way do not have to conform to US standards, but sale is prohibited. A major restriction is the car must leave the country before the year expires. In many cases this type of import is used for events, tours, or races as they don’t need to be in the country for long.

To start shipping a car from Europe to the US, please fill out our online quote form or call in at 1-562-408-6677.

I think you'd have an epic trip and we would love to have you tour.....
This is awesome , thank you very much!

Around 15 years ago I planned a road trip with my motorbike from east coast to west coast (involving local model specific bike club) .
But life suddenly said NO.
Now it would be something similar .

·
Registered
936 Posts
How much would it be to ship the car to the US and back to EU?
It would be a good road trip to visit some of the nice places and race tracks.
also the Diamondback and Back of the Dragon - near the area; far less traffic and not as well known - personally I like them better

·
Registered
2002 Honda S2000
88 Posts
also the Diamondback and Back of the Dragon - near the area; far less traffic and not as well known - personally I like them better
I'll second @Hal H on the area "around" the famous Tail of the Dragon. Two awesome road trips (2009 & 2019) down there with @alavigne clearly highlighted just how many good roads there are. IMHO better than the actual TotD because of the reduced traffic and often higher speed limits too # winwin.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'll second @Hal H on the area "around" the famous Tail of the Dragon. Two awesome road trips (2009 & 2019) down there with @alavigne clearly highlighted just how many good roads there are. IMHO better than the actual TotD because of the reduced traffic and often higher speed limits too # winwin.
when you and @alavigne get yours (and I have mine) - we'll have to do it - I'm just under 100mi from Little Switzerland

Maggie Valley is supposed to have some great roads as well

·
Registered
2002 Honda S2000
88 Posts
when you and @alavigne get yours (and I have mine) - we'll have to do it - I'm just under 100mi from Little Switzerland

Maggie Valley is supposed to have some great roads as well
Ahhh you are so much closer to "the good stuff" than we are!!! #envious But would be a blast to meet up when we all finally graduate from the Waiters Club - count me in! :cool: woot woot

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: JFAtlanta and Raven

·
Registered
2022 BB 6MT Shark Blue (1/14/2022 est. delivery)
11 Posts
Here's an old picture from a drive on the Dragon many years ago . . .

View attachment 47153

I used to live in North Carolina.

I'm in California now. I have to be content with drives up to Lick Observatory. (365 turns in 7 miles)
From CA and now in NC...miss Mines Rd up to the Lick like you wouldn't believe. Especially that open stretch through San Antonio Valley!

Just did the Tail for the first time... Fun but too short compared to Mines.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been riding motorcycles in the TN, NC and GA mountains since 2003. Plan on taking my Cayman there next week and stay at the Tapoco Lodge.

Tail Of The Dragon is a fun road but for those who know the area, there are much better roads with far less traffic. In fact there are hundreds of miles of excellent twisties where the three states mentioned above share borders. The Cherohala Skyway just might be the best road in the country for those who like winding mountain roads.

·
Registered
2022 BB 6MT Shark Blue (1/14/2022 est. delivery)
11 Posts
I have been riding motorcycles in the TN, NC and GA mountains since 2003. Plan on taking my Cayman there next week and stay at the Tapoco Lodge.

Tail Of The Dragon is a fun road but for those who know the area, there are much better roads with far less traffic. In fact there are hundreds of miles of excellent twisties where the three states mentioned above share borders. The Cherohala Skyway just might be the best road in the country for those who like winding mountain roads.
I have a lot of road hunting to do now that I'm out here. I'll also be at the Tapoco next week 10/7 & 10/8. If you see me with a Shark Blue 6MT BB come say hello.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts