Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so had my Cayman GTS for a little over a week. Incredibly impressed with how this car drives. I already ordered a custom catless downpipe from fabspeed to mate to the PSE. I also ordered the Fabspeed ECU tune to accompany it. I’m told to expect somewhere in the region of a ~80-100 crank horsepower and torque increase.

Looks like I may be the first in this forum to try this product out. I’m somewhat of a guinea pig. In any case, I will report back with results in about a week or so when it gets here.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
What is the cost of the Fabspeed ECU with installation? What impact will the ECU installation have on the Porsche warranty?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thats a serious tune, looking forward to seeing the results. You'll have to let us know just how different the car performs afterwards. Any ideas on how much the whole process is going to run you? You plan on swapping any other parts besides the downpipe?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm echoing everyone else, in that I am very interested in how your ECU tune turns out. Please keep us up to date!

BTW why did you decide to go for it so soon after taking delivery of the car?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Forgive me for answering your question with another question, but why not??? If you're going to enjoy your mods, I say enjoy them sooner than later. As far as he'll know the car, he'll only really know the car after the mods. To him, he'll have a 718 with 991.2 Carrera S power from the very start. To me, it sounds excellent! Please keep us tuned in. We're all curious. I am considering the tune from Vivid Racing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Forgive me for answering your question with another question, but why not??? If you're going to enjoy your mods, I say enjoy them sooner than later. As far as he'll know the car, he'll only really know the car after the mods. To him, he'll have a 718 with 991.2 Carrera S power from the very start. To me, it sounds excellent! Please keep us tuned in. We're all curious. I am considering the tune from Vivid Racing.
Enjoying the mods sooner rather than later is a fair point :)

As for my personal reasons why not -
(1) Void warranty.
(2)a) Enough time to know the car beforehand, so that you appreciate the extra power even more.
(2)b) Or alternatively, realising you may prefer the power delivery (or some aspect) of the original tune better, and knowing that you would be happier to revert back to the original.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
892 Posts
I like the power output. What is the cost? (The website does not have prices)
Sorry, but I have no idea regarding cost. Pricing will be very likely to vary dependant on location in any case. A list of the full dealer network for each & every country is easily accessed though, along with the appropriate contact details for anyone that is actually interested.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the cost of the Fabspeed ECU with installation? What impact will the ECU installation have on the Porsche warranty?
I will install the ECU and exhaust myself, very competent mechanically. Have build and modified several Audis over the years. The ECU tune is $1595. It could void it, but speaking to my tech it is not easily identifiable and can be flashed back to stock before service. It's a good thing I know a guy who knows a guy, let's put it that way ;)

Thats a serious tune, looking forward to seeing the results. You'll have to let us know just how different the car performs afterwards. Any ideas on how much the whole process is going to run you? You plan on swapping any other parts besides the downpipe?
$2595 including install as I am doing it myself. $1000 for the custom dowpipe and $1595 for the software. Just the downpipe, since I have a GTS I already have PSE so no need for much else in my opinion. I'm only 24 but I have matured from the days of straight pipes and noise. I much prefer refinement nowadays. Anything more than a downpipe may drain on me eventually!

I'm echoing everyone else, in that I am very interested in how your ECU tune turns out. Please keep us up to date!

I will use this thread to keep updated. I have owned several cars in the 500/600hp range and I am used to that power. And frankly, why not?! We all know Porsche hold back a little so this will really be the Cayman that Porsche should have created! This Cayman will not sit in the shadow of the 911. In theory it should easily be able to run with a 991.2 GTS

I will keep you updated for sure. I like the 911s but I find the Cayman more "fun" to drive. This will be a Cayman with higher model 911 power. Dream scenario, right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well... My custom catless downpipe from Fabspeed got here today. Will install it this weekend more than likely. Really depends on the weather though. I’d like to get a direct before and after comparison and I can’t really push it in the current climate.

In any case. GREAT quality and awesome welding. Can’t wait to report the results back. Will also be installing H&R springs along with 7mm and 15mm spacers that I got from Suncoast. A good post is never a good post without pictures though...

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did you get the ECU back from Fabspeed?

You also mentioned that you could flash back to stock before service. Is there a handheld device or do you have to resend back to Fabspeed to revert back?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm only 24 but I have matured from the days of straight pipes and noise. I much prefer refinement nowadays. Anything more than a downpipe may drain on me eventually!
Congrats man! Seldom said but being able to get one of these, let alone a GTS this early on in life is always awesome!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very excited to see how this turns out, i'm looking to do a full exhaust and a tune myself as soon as there's a self flashing option out. Will the Fabspeed tune turn off the CEL for removing the cat, or will you be using the o2 spacers? Good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey guys, so had my Cayman GTS for a little over a week. Incredibly impressed with how this car drives. I already ordered a custom catless downpipe from fabspeed to mate to the PSE. I also ordered the Fabspeed ECU tune to accompany it. I’m told to expect somewhere in the region of a ~80-100 crank horsepower and torque increase.

Looks like I may be the first in this forum to try this product out. I’m somewhat of a guinea pig. In any case, I will report back with results in about a week or so when it gets here.

Very interesting! You have obviously caught the attention of everyone in this forum

Please excuse my ignorance about tuning .. can you install the ECU without installing the custom catless downpipe? If you can, would it make much of a difference ?

Good luck and thanks for keeping us posted!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes NineSix, I am also used to 600-700hp cars and am also anxiously awaiting your ECU results. Its the one thing I would change on the car. Don't get me wrong, I quartered-miled mine recently (just to see what it would do and don't plan on doing it anymore since I know it's not a drag car) with some of my drag racing buddies and nobody expected it to be in the 11's but it was. I still wish it was a little faster. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on this FabSpeed exhaust (https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-718-boxster-cayman-supercup-turboback-exhaust-system/) since I don't have PSE and I like the weight savings. I wish it had some better tip choices. Anyway, I got detracted with the ECU stuff and was contemplating that also but looking at a picture from how (at least) Vivid Racing has to hook it up to bench flash it caused me some concern even though I assume they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
sounds like a fun time. anxious as well to hear the results.

i don't recall seeing it yet but how will you avoid the CEL? will the tune take care of that, and if so what happens when you have to go to the dealer for any service? i would imagine it to be a pain to reflash the ecu and revert the exhaust back to stock each time.

Anyway, I got detracted with the ECU stuff and was contemplating that also but looking at a picture from how (at least) Vivid Racing has to hook it up to bench flash it caused me some concern even though I assume they know what they are doing.

when i spoke with fabspeed a few months ago they confirmed you have to send in your ecu to have it reprogrammed, and i can't recall if it went to them or to a shop in florida, or if they sent it out for you. can't say if vivid can do the programming onsite but it is possible i suppose.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts