Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
it's all good. i'm here for discussion. care to share your thoughts on why you feel it's not necessary to run a front spoiler on yours? thanks!
Most people are doing these things for asthetic modifications. You really need to be driving at 100mph+ to start to experience the aerodynamic benefits and/or be a pro driver, so whether you do the front or the back spoiler, for most purposes is really personal preference, rather than for track times.

I'd say what DocCayman has done with the rear spoiler has really lifted the appearance of his GTS, as I think the Techart rear spoiler is really nice.

Personally, I think the GTS front bumper and splitters looks busy enough as is so maybe its not necessary to do the front spoiler and maybe adding the techart front spoiler woiuld make it look a little more chunky.

I think the Techart front spoiler looks better on the S, although I'd like to see the GTS version in person as photos don't always do justice and can excentuate certain features (e.g., new M3/M4).

GT4 front bumper/spoiler IMO looks very clean and would go well with the rear Techart spoiler.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sure,(in the spirit of sharing knowledge) i am no expert other than having driven 981 GT4 and Cayman S 718 and now the 4.0 in the Cayman family to know the differences. I actually asked and relied upon Techart’s technician and had a long chat with one of the ‘official’ Techart dealers whether it was really needed on my car. Now I am talking specifically about the 4.0 (not 2.5 GTS) which is 15 hp lower than GT4 with the same detuned engine without a wing and air vent on the hood. ‘The air intake with 4.0 is good enough not to necessarily change it’. Of course they were trying their best to sell me the package. At the end of the day if I wanted my 4.0 to become a GT4, I would have either held onto my 981 GT4 or not dropped off the 718 GT4 PDK list to save 15k. Tough call. If I was driving a 2.5 GTS (now responding to a specific car) I will probably stick the front spoiler. Different cars altogether the 2.5 and 4 litres.
awesome! appreciate the info especially the fact you were speaking with the Techart's technician

·
Registered
133 Posts
Most people are doing these things for asthetic modifications. You really need to be driving at 100mph+ to start to experience the aerodynamic benefits and/or be a pro driver, so whether you do the front or the back spoiler, for most purposes is really personal preference, rather than for track times.

I'd say what DocCayman has done with the rear spoiler has really lifted the appearance of his GTS, as I think the Techart rear spoiler is really nice.

Personally, I think the GTS front bumper and splitters looks busy enough as is so maybe its not necessary to do the front spoiler and maybe adding the techart front spoiler woiuld make it look a little more chunky.

I think the Techart front spoiler looks better on the S, although I'd like to see the GTS version in person as photos don't always do justice and can excentuate certain features (e.g., new M3/M4).

GT4 front bumper/spoiler IMO looks very clean and would go well with the rear Techart spoiler.
i hear ya! so most freeway speeds are about 70-80mph do you feel aero even at these speeds don't have any effect? i'm ordering the TA front spoiler for my GTS this month and having the dealer paint the non carbon portion of it sapphire blue so i'll post pictures in my build thread when i'm done. but it's purely for aesthetics for me!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am very curious at what speed does the spoiler shown in the pictures in the first post above become consequentially effective. I rarely exceed speeds greater than 100 MPH and at 100 or a little above my Boxster feels completely stable. For various compelling reasons the days when I would check out the maximum speed for a new car are are long over. I did notice the last time I did that (a new 2002 BMW Z3 3.0i) the car topped out at 128 mph but it felt very uncomfortably light and unstable, like the slightest transient would send it out of control into the adjacent trees and canal. I never did that with my base Boxster so I have no idea how it will behave in a straight line at whatever speed it tops out at.

Am I correct in assuming the purpose of the spoiler is to increase stability and control higher speeds? In other words, the car is capable of a maximum speed without the spoiler but is a need for greater stability and control at this speed (or a little less due to the spoiler's wind resistance) needed?

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
<snips>I am very curious at what speed does the spoiler shown in the pictures in the first post above become consequentially effective.
Hopefully someone with experience can answer that question—but notice that the stock spoiler does not deploy until 77 mph.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the rear wing but it is hard for me to swallow seeing drilling on the trunk of a brand new car

·
Registered
780 Posts
For the 718 GT4 Porsche quotes "At the car’s maximum speed, there is a total of 122 kg of rear downforce."

Max speed being over 300kph, but I've read race cars like GT3 or GTE would be 500kg or more. After all the Techart/GT4 rear wing is really still quite small compared with a proper rear wing designed for the track. But they look good and maybe an RS size wing is too big for the street!

So IMO with a Techart/GT4 rear wing, if you are doing a high speed corner at say 180kph you are going to get a little bit more grip on your rear tires and be able to carry a little more corner speed. But at lower speeds it will not make much difference and of course even the stock aerodynamics on your 718 will generate some down force.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts