Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car should be in my hands in a couple of weeks. It is an S, with PDK and Sport Chrono. I've never owned a car with a conventional automatic, nor with engine speed limits specified during the break in.

If I keep the Sport Chrono in Normal, and keep the PDK in auto, and drive mildly - will this do a good job of keeping the engine speed safely below 4,000? I assume that Sport and Sport+ modes would allow or encourage higher engine speeds, and should be avoided.

I know that if I went to manual shift mode, and learned the engine speed delta's from down shifts, that I could actively control the engine speed. But I can promise you, at least a couple of times, I'd get crossed up and shift down when I wanted to go up. Rather not do that.

And unrelated to break-in - I assume these PDK's will refuse downshifts that would over-rev the motor. Is that correct?

· Registered
43 Posts
I’m still in the breakin period (finding excuses to put more miles on the car so I can let ‘er rip soon).
Mild driving in normal mode, the PDK is very quick to upshift. Typically shifting around 2500 rpm. I find myself in 5th gear at 30mph!
If you put your foot into it, it gives you very clear signals - gets a lot louder, and pushes your back into the seat. That’s the time to watch the tach.

· Registered
33 Posts
I'm at about 1,300 miles on my BGTS-PDK, and am also trying to follow the break-in recommendations (mostly successfully, but with some slip-ups attributable to a need for speed!). On slower, local roads, unless I need to tone down the exhaust, I typically drive in sport mode, and that's been easy to manage (plus the sound is wonderful). On the highway, I go into normal mode to keep down the RPMs. It's easy to get the hang of it -- these cars are a blast to drive!

· Registered
720 Posts
Yes, you are fine driving as you stated (in "D" and not Sport with moderate throttle).

That's how I drove my base Cayman based on suggestions from PEC Atlanta.

I almost always kept the boost gage at zero and never used cruise control.

But one other point: if you sense you are going up a hill "lugging" (let's say, at 2000 RPM in 7th gear), you can always pull on the left paddle (even in "D") and it will drop down a gear. I did that a few times on long hills during break in.

· Registered
638 Posts
Enjoy your S, @duegatti -- at whatever rpms makes you feel good wrt break-in limits. Personally I find a lot of the advice here way overboard. My theory: break-in period limits in 2018 would be enforced by the ECU if truly critical.

You know, it's just possible the thoroughbred turbo-four does best long-term when 'given its head' and allowed to run hard a bit in its first thousand miles. If you're exercising any constraints -- even partial -- then you're already being cautious enough IMO.

· Registered
21 Posts
I track my bike at Barber in Alabama several times a year. Barber is also the location of the Porsche Sport Driving School. There are several dozen Porsches, all models, at Barber year round. The cars there come straight from the factory and then get sold as CPOs after 1 year. Porsche does not even follow the break-in requirements. Just drive it, the car will be fine.

· Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK GT Silver
70 Posts
"Running In" the Vehicle

My owner's manual page 16 has a list of 6 admonishments for the first 2000mi/3000km. The technique I'm using to control engine RPMs is to drive with the PDK in manual shift mode and just use the paddles to up shift or down shift to avoid over 4K revs or lugging the engine. I also have found that just controlling revs in automatic mode with the throttle is not difficult.

As to the necessity of following Porsche's advice I am prepared to be cautious, others choose their own path.

Could it be that running in is just another level of torture visited upon us after waiting and suffering for 5-6 months for the car to be delivered and then not being able to drive it like we want to for another several weeks while we attain the mandated milege?

· Registered
413 Posts
Enjoy your S, @duegatti -- at whatever rpms makes you feel good wrt break-in limits. Personally I find a lot of the advice here way overboard. My theory: break-in period limits in 2018 would be enforced by the ECU if truly critical.

You know, it's just possible the thoroughbred turbo-four does best long-term when 'given its head' and allowed to run hard a bit in its first thousand miles. If you're exercising any constraints -- even partial -- then you're already being cautious enough IMO.
Zuffen, if i could hug you, i would... or maybe I'd have my wife do for me... :D You're absolutely correct! The cars would be limited by the ECU if you were to really need the break in. Get in a GT3 or a GT3-RS, start off cold, and try to rip around the block. Guess what? You're not going anywhere, not fast at least. The car limits your Rpm's till the engine is warm enough. Why??? Because you can damage the block by running a truly high performance engine hard, when the engine is cold... They've done it for you! Plus, as Zuffen said, if you plan to drive the car spiritedly in the future, you want the car to run a bit hard after a brief 200 mile break-in. But hey, of course you're going to do what you're comfortable with.
For the record, if we were discussing a new GT3, I would tell you to break it in for about 1,500 miles before letting her rip. But we're not talking about a GT3...

· Registered
413 Posts

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the info. I'm pretty hard line committed to following the instructions. I'll start in Normal and Drive, and gradually mix in paddle shifting in such a way that I won't inadvertently downshift at 4k.

Going back to my first post - these transmissions will refuse a downshift that would go to an engine speed above red line, no?

· Registered
344 Posts
I track my bike at Barber in Alabama several times a year. Barber is also the location of the Porsche Sport Driving School. There are several dozen Porsches, all models, at Barber year round. The cars there come straight from the factory and then get sold as CPOs after 1 year. Porsche does not even follow the break-in requirements. Just drive it, the car will be fine.
That's exactly what my dealer told me.

· Registered
720 Posts
......Going back to my first post - these transmissions will refuse a downshift that would go to an engine speed above red line, no?
I don't have any direct documents to prove this but I have been told by others that you cannot over rev an engine with a PDK downshift.

As I have been told, the computer won't let you downshift to a lower gear that could cause you to exceed the rev limiter.

In other words, if you are doing 100 mph and try to drop it all the way to 1st gear, it won't let you.

I have never tried this myself, but I have done manual downshifts that result in RPMs very close to redline.

Obviously, if you put it in 1st gear "manual" and floor it, the engine management system will shut off fuel just above the redline (common in all cars these days).

· Registered
94 Posts
To me the two things that are most important in a break in (no matter if you follow the owners manual or drive it like you stole it approach) is...

(1) Don't lug the engine (ever)
(2) Don't run the engine at a constant RPM during the break in period at least

· Registered
344 Posts
My SA stated I should "drive it like I stole it" and I would be more than willing, at great personal sacrifice, to drive any of your Porsches that way but heck not mine.

I don’t drive my cars that way under any circumstances (break in period or not), at least not for any extended period of time, so I should be all set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.