Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me about the first time you launched. Not in a loaner or test drive, but in your own 718. Tell me what model you have, what mileage you were at...what settings you used. Was the AC on? Were you at 10 & 2? Do you have a vid? Did you time yourself? Have you done it again? </barry white voice and sexy music>

· Registered
610 Posts
Tell me about the first time you launched. Not in a loaner or test drive, but in your own 718. Tell me what model you have, what mileage you were at...what settings you used. Was the AC on? Were you at 10 & 2? Do you have a vid? Did you time yourself? Have you done it again? </barry white voice and sexy music>
What's your story? Mine's too new to have revved over 4k Ron. It will come....

· Registered
440 Posts
I have never done launch control and I will likely never do it. I have never been much interested in that feature.
Never say never.....Launch control is a hoot. I weigh 212lbs and I did it with my 250lb son in the passenger seat. Brand new smooth as glass blacktop on a 75 degree day, tires warmed up with a 15 mile drive, engine and trans up to full operating temp. Released the brakes as soon as the rpms leveled off. It's pretty incredible, actually felt the blood move in my head as I got pushed back in the seat.

The much venerated Audi RS 3 is noted for being a bit of a beast doing launches with its five banger and awd. Take a gander at this little run against a 718. The Audi gets the jump, but note the times and trap speed at the end. The Audi was not sandbagging either.

· Registered
33 Posts
Here's mine, as previously posted (in May):

"Six weeks into ownership, I've now flown my BGTS past 2,000 mi., after doing a creditable-enough job of following the break-in guidelines. Being a 911 TTS owner, I was already spoiled almost beyond words as to performance in pretty much every way by that rocket ship in Porsche clothing. Well, I am now spoiled even more by the addition of the 718. As I indicated in the 718 vs. 911 thread that's currently running, I get a visceral direct road-connected thrill from the 718 that's less mediated than the TTS. Now, having finally used launch control on the 718, I can report that it did a fine job of pinning my shoulder blades to the backrest, and I was surprised to find at my first glance at the speedometer that we were already making 74 a fleeting memory. Mind you, the TTS' launch control pushed my voice box and most of my internal organs into my kidneys (and it never occurred to me to look at the speedometer since I was too busy holding on for my life), but I can certainly be happy with the 718's less traumatic performance allowing me to make human sounds immediately after launch.

Bottom line: What special cars!!!! And what good fortune for us to be able to enjoy them, a four-year-old boy's automotive fantasies fulfilled!"

I now have over 7,000 miles on the BGTS, which sits in winter storage....

· Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I have a 718 2.0 with Sport Chrono and PDK.

I was fortunate enough to be able to learn and practice LC during a PEC Atlanta session a few weeks after I took delivery in a car almost identical to what I own. So when my car was at about 3,400 miles or so a couple of weeks after that trip (I drove from Dallas to Atlanta and back in my 718; that's how I got the bulk of break-in done, heh), I drove out to a relatively quiet and recently built industrial park in a suburb -- one with a couple of straight asphalt streets with no stop signs and that's basically deserted during the weekends -- and gave LC a few rips.

I used the stopwatch function on Sport Chrono to time -- not exact, but close enough. Quickest run to 60 was 4.6 seconds. I've since done LC about a dozen times; managed a couple of 4.4-second runs in those.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's your story? Mine's too new to have revved over 4k Ron. It will come....
I've, most of the time, been staying within the running in period limits too. My commute is so little that my car doesn't even really get to temp in time for me to play, so just weekend drives so far and I'm about 800 miles away from opening it up. So...the anticipation...is...getting...to...me. I'm planning on going to PECLA in JAN so I will play there.

· Registered
121 Posts
My 718 Cayman S does not have Sport Chrono, so no official launches. But a couple of what felt like launching to me! Firstly (odo ~10k mi) just starting up to Sonoma Pass on the east side of the California Sierras I stopped in the narrow road so the wife could make a photo of something. She fumbled around with the camera long enough that traffic came up behind. That car moved slowly as if to pass and I just nailed the throttle. Whooosh!! and we off and gone, crazy...

Secondly I was heading west on I-90 in Central Washington with a new friend who has a new Mazda MX-5 coupe, the one with the articulating hard top. Closing in on a truck ahead in the right lane and I had a guy off my left rear who would be boxing me in shortly, so at 70mph I floored it, the PDK downshifted, and it shot forward drawing exclamations of surprise and admiration from my passenger. That’s two... I’m ordinarily pretty gentle on the throttle, and not often over 3000rpm.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 718 2.0 with Sport Chrono and PDK.

I was fortunate enough to be able to learn and practice LC during a PEC Atlanta session a few weeks after I took delivery in a car almost identical to what I own. So when my car was at about 3,400 miles or so a couple of weeks after that trip (I drove from Dallas to Atlanta and back in my 718; that's how I got the bulk of break-in done, heh), I drove out to a relatively quiet and recently built industrial park in a suburb -- one with a couple of straight asphalt streets with no stop signs and that's basically deserted during the weekends -- and gave LC a few rips.

I used the stopwatch function on Sport Chrono to time -- not exact, but close enough. Quickest run to 60 was 4.6 seconds. I've since done LC about a dozen times; managed a couple of 4.4-second runs in those.
What octane fuel were you using?

· Premium Member
1,891 Posts
What octane fuel were you using?
93. Regular Shell U.S. pump fuel.

The base 718 Cayman PDK puts down consistent mid-4-second 0-60 times. Car & Driver got consistent 4.0-second runs, and even coaxed a couple of 3.9-second runs during its testing. Even Road & Track published a 4.5-second 0-60 time ... and I've clocked 4.7 seconds regularly without LC in warm weather.

Don't completely believe the 4.7-second figure Porsche uses -- in fact, don't believe any 0-60 time from a manufacturer. They are commonly fudged so that one model doesn't cannibalize another's sales, among other reasons. Audi and VW in particular are notorious for this (and remember who owns Porsche!).

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
93. Regular Shell U.S. pump fuel.

The base 718 Cayman PDK puts down consistent mid-4-second 0-60 times. Car & Driver got consistent 4.0-second runs, and even coaxed a couple of 3.9-second runs during its testing. Even Road & Track published a 4.5-second 0-60 time ... and I've clocked 4.7 seconds regularly without LC in warm weather.

Don't completely believe the 4.7-second figure Porsche uses -- in fact, don't believe any 0-60 time from a manufacturer. They are commonly fudged so that one model doesn't cannibalize another's sales, among other reasons. Audi and VW in particular are notorious for this (and remember who owns Porsche!).
Nice. I don't have easy access to anything higher than 91 and I'm not confident enough to use Torco or Boostane. The manual says not to use launch control with anything less than 93 octane and using anything less than 93 affects performance. I am wondering how true that is.

· Registered
389 Posts
I got my first Porsche in 1967. It was a 911. But when it comes to the Cayman, I'm what you might call a 718 virgin.
I've seen a few, but I've never driven one, never sat in one, never even touched one. But my new 2021 Cayman 718 is being delivered on 1/15/2020. Then the fun will begin.

Will my Panamera be jealous? Time will tell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.