Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car magazine have just done yet another short review of the 718 Boxster. An excerpt of this review which specifically refers to the exhaust note is attached below. Should you wish to read it in its entirety follow the attached link. :-http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/porsche/porsche-718-boxster-2018-review/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Car magazine have just done yet another short review of the 718 Boxster. An excerpt of this review which specifically refers to the exhaust note is attached below. Should you wish to read it in its entirety follow the attached link. :-http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/porsche/porsche-718-boxster-2018-review/
Could have got a great deal on a 2016 981 but I preferred instead a great car..........

Though, I still feel the 718 sounds great.

·
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could have got a great deal on a 2016 981 but I preferred instead a great car..........

Though, I still feel the 718 sounds great.
I only provided the link as I thought it one of the more sensible comments I've yet to see in a review regarding the exhaust note. Some reviewers comments have been little short of ridiculous. Even Chris Harris on Top Gear staged the test to make the 718 appear far worse than it actually is. He sat in a 718 at cruising speed complaining about a droning noise, he then had a 981 sat beside him at the same speed which accelerated away & said how good it sounded on that acceleration. Not a like for like comparison, one was simply cruising & the other accelerating hard. Although I always loved the howl at high revs, most flat sixes sat at cruising speed don't sound particularly impressive either. That's not in any way a criticism of flat sixes, it's just a fact. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
when i was down at daytona for a de weekend at the beginning of the month my instructor, who is a friend and runs a track dedicated '73 911, commented several times about how good the exhaust sounded, and mine is just the basic non-pse (for now).

·
Registered
388 Posts
I drove a 2015 Cayman with a manual transmission today. It was a really nice car! Of course the overall feel of the car was Porsche superb. The noise that came from behind my head was not what I would call pleasant. I prefer the sound of the boosted flat four as it makes a unique and interesting sound. I was surprised I didn't like the sound cruising around in the 981, I then had a bit of open road. No cars around, I was able to increase the revs, not until then did the flat six sound impress me. At full song, the flat 6 was beautiful! But the power and sounds were both weak till the revs climbed. The throttle response is of course always really nice in most of the naturally aspirated sixes... All in all, I believe I made the right choice, but it's a choice... All the power to those whom choose the flat six over a flat four. Its nice that Porsche has given us these options...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have been babbling about the sound aktor thats mounted in our cars and i disconnected it both in my Boxster and Cayman.

I have mentioned it before that something happens in Sport mode even with cars without PSE.
Its not the higher revs or the backfire, the exhaust note it self changes.
From what i know the left and right muffler aint the same and they dont have the same pipe length either.
My guess is that i has something to do with a different routing.

The easy way to test this is for owners with SC, disconnect the aktor and switch between sport and sport+
(only difference should be the backfire when you let go of the throttel)
And do it at crusing speed and you will hear the difference.
It doesn't matter if the PSE is on or of the difference is still there.
PSE in normal or sport+ does the exhaust a tad louder, in sport its Way louder.

Today in normal my Cayman transforms to a luxury saloon soundwise and sometimes thats realy nice :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can you say something about the difference about the stock exhaust and PSE in off mode ?

Many people think that's the same, but PSE is a hole different exhaust, so it's very unlikly that stock and PSE off sounds the same.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Can you say something about the difference about the stock exhaust and PSE in off mode ?

Many people think that's the same, but PSE is a hole different exhaust, so it's very unlikly that stock and PSE off sounds the same.

In my ears stock vs PSE in off mode is the same.
You have to remember that the right and left muffler aint the same and its only the right one that have the actuator.
As i mention above it looks as the right muffler is the "Sport" muffler and it also there the actuator is.
So even without PSE and with the sound aktor disengaged the car gets louder in sport, hence my tought about different routing.

BUT!
If you have the sound aktor engaged the difference between PSE on/off is bigger!!
The sound aktor is always on but in sport/sport+ it goes nuts ;)

On 981 and cars before there was two actuators, one for each muffler.

·
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That's actually a very interesting point. Has anyone driven a car fitted with a stock exhaust followed by a PSE equipped car that they left it in normal? I drove both but immediately switched the sport exhaust on as I imagine most people would (I actually went straight to sport). It never even occurred to me to leave the sports exhaust in normal. The only way to accurately assess it would be to immediately drive both back to back but with PSE off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
On the 981 there is a big difference between PSE off and stock.
The mufflers stock and PSE are totaly different.

981 PSE off is louder and sounding noticable more agressive than stock.
Sport button on/off is not a big difference in exhause note.

It seems that on the 718 this is not the case??

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wow, that's really cool, Johan. Thanks for that...

·
Registered
638 Posts
it's a choice... All the power to those whom choose the flat six over a flat four.
Sure, if they made that choice prior to introduction of the 9A2B6/B4 turbo generation. Now, when comparing like-to-like of new turbo versus n/a predecessor in the rear-engine and mid-engine models*, in every case the turbo has way more peak power, hugely greater low-and-mid-range grunt/tractability, better efficiency, and similar responsiveness**. So anyone choosing n/a now is essentially weighting aesthetics (sound.....looks?) over every aspect of performance. Still it's the individual's right to choose, but I think one choice is for clearly superior performance, the other for nostalgia. And performance, in the automotive context, is the ultimate measure of engineering and technical excellence.

*putting aside the track-oriented GTs
**for VTG-equipped 718 S models

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sure, if they made that choice prior to introduction of the 9A2B6/B4 turbo generation. Now, when comparing like-to-like of new turbo versus n/a predecessor in the rear-engine and mid-engine models*, in every case the turbo has way more peak power, hugely greater low-and-mid-range grunt/tractability, better efficiency, and similar responsiveness**. So anyone choosing n/a now is essentially weighting aesthetics (sound.....looks?) over every aspect of performance. Still it's the individual's right to choose, but I think one choice is for clearly superior performance, the other for nostalgia. And performance, in the automotive context, is the ultimate measure of engineering and technical excellence.

*putting aside the track-oriented GTs
**for VTG-equipped 718 S models
I couldn't agree more... In my opinion, all the new turbocharged engines (in the ENTIRE current Porsche lineup) are far superior to their previous naturally aspirated brothers and sisters. With a couple exceptions: there is a sportier feel in the drive and an aural beauty to the sound the N/A engines make. I personally would gladly prefer any of the turbo models over the N/A cars, but I still completely appreciate the N/A cars.
As far as nostalgia, we all know nostalgia is one of the Best seller of cars. Watching any of these car auctions teaches us that people are paying big money for a feeling, a memory, some type of emotional need to buy this classic car. A car that had poor performance and reliability in its own day, let alone ours. But yet they do it...
Not exactly my cup of tea...

Reactions: ZuffenHouseRules

·
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Well this sums up that article regarding the 718 Cayman:

VERDICT
One of the best cars at any price is hard to beat, especially on an even playing field.

·
Registered
701 Posts
https://www.caranddriver.com/compar...arison-tests-2017-porsche-718-cayman-s-page-3
But speaking of sounds, oh, the Porsche’s. Rest in peace, flat-six, and long live the turbo four! The more time we spend with 718s—and the further into memory that six’s wail fades—the more we like the four. This thing sounds like a goblin, all mechanical grumble and spitting overrun. There’s even a little aural treat when you turn the car off and the four grumpily clatters into silence as though not all its parts stop moving at the same time.
Flat 4 goblin grunt or flat 6 fairy wail? To each their own... :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've just come across a new comparison review of the Audi TT RS vs Porsche 718 Cayman S. Obviously the Cayman gets a great review, but what was of real interest to me were the comments regarding how it sounds. I think you're probably going to enjoy reading this one. https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/audi-tt-rs-vs-porsche-718-cayman-s-comparison-tests
darn it, Chilli, this kind of stuff makes me want to go weep in a corner, knowing I still have a good month-month and a half to go. Especially since mine is a manual and “Porsche manuals are the best transmissions you can buy today, period.” Anyway, thanks for sharing !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts