Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster, 2007 Cayman
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Canadian border finally opening up I had a chance to visit my family. So on the spur of the moment I changed the oil in my 718 boxster and headed north. I have to say I have done this trip in many cars and motorcycles but this trip was by far the most enjoyable and most comfortable. Besides the thrill of that 4 cylinder turbo torque rocketing up the smokey mountains, I was shocked to see 31.6 mpg and trust me there was a lot of 80 -90 mph speeds, thank you waze, so accurate, saved me at least 4 times. The boxster is smooth and quiet with top up, 95 degrees most of the way up but at dusk the roof goes down to view the mountains, its so exhilarating. How can a car handle so good and flat yet be so comfortable over bumps. Seats are a dream. 3200 miles and I was finding new roads through Tennessee so not to get home, lol. I was fortunate to drive tail of the dragon and its a must visit by all. Bottom line, this car is bucket list for your favorite long trip, don't save it for just short weekend driving. Make a plan and you will remember it for life. Not to mention every where you stop people will google over your car. Thumbs up from every biker and other car enthusiast. One more note, tons of luggage space, even brought tools and computers.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I have to plan a Tail of the Dragon trip. Its a good 500 miles from here probably, and id probably add to it by staying off highways.

Reactions: PKB

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found the base Cayman without PASM to have a more composed suspension over rough surfaces than my Tesla Model S. It also didn’t scrape in places where the Tesla does. And yet the handling is so much better that you can’t even compare the cars in the same sentence.

On a long trip my only concern would be engine and road noise. Maybe not so much on a base but the 718 S seems really loud.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My wife and I took mine on a trip last month, covered around 1500 miles over 4 days. It was fantastic, comfortable on the highway and a lot of fun on the mountain roads.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good to hear. I’m planning a drive through France to Tuscany and back next year which is about 2000 miles or so

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
694 Posts
Road trips for the win! Good to hear all the accolades. Another 1k to go for break-in.

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
502 Posts
couldn't agree more! the wifey and i also took this on a long road trip. Ohio to The Tail of the Dragon and also for the Rennsport Dragon Rally. very comfortable drive and plenty of space for our luggage and duffle bags including cleaning supplies! the car was built for the Dragon!

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster, 2007 Cayman
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the base Cayman without PASM to have a more composed suspension over rough surfaces than my Tesla Model S. It also didn’t scrape in places where the Tesla does. And yet the handling is so much better that you can’t even compare the cars in the same sentence.

On a long trip my only concern would be engine and road noise. Maybe not so much on a base but the 718 S seems really loud.
i have not driven the 718 Cayman, I do still own the 987 Cayman and the road noise and engine noise are very noticeable. When i got the 718 Boxster I noticed the road noise and engine noise is really quiet. I think its because the hatchback area of the Cayman amplifies those noises. What I did on my 987 Cayman last year, was remove all the rear panels and door panels add dynamat sound deadening and a foam deadener and it really quieten it down. Almost no road noise at all. About $100. Much more pleasant for long road trips and daily driving, it makes that car feel more expensive. Just a thought for you. It only adds about 20 lbs and makes it much more pleasant.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've done Houston to NYC to Montreal back to NYC back to Houston. Going north we did as many scenic routes, as we could fit in without doubling back (the Talimena Scenic Drive, the Ozarks back and forth, the Cherohalla Scenic Drive, the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Skyline Drive, aND the Delaware Water Gap). During our sabbatical in NYC we did many other Northeast Scenic routes in Upstate NY, Connecticut and Vermont.

This year, we drove from Houston to St. Louis and then retraced Route 66 as best as we could, all the way to Kningman AZ. 18 days 4500 mi.

The Cayman S is fast, comfortable and can take an amazing amount of luggage (needed for 18 days on the road)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
134 Posts

Weight and packaging. Lighter cars have a big physical advantage in both comfort and handling. And cars that prioritize space for the suspension have huge advantages.

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
143 Posts
We took a trip this past summer to Mirror Lake Inn, and took the Boxster. My wife loved it. We had the top down all the way there and all the way back. Just 260 miles LOL. Plenty of room in the Frunk and Trunk for luggage and items we picked up at Mirror Lake. Very comfortable ride. Also did a run with my son to visit my parents, 300 miles, via Vermont which as similar nice back roads as Upstate New York. Again top down all the way and since he refused to wear sun screen LOL he was "red" when we arrive in Groton. He did wear the sunscreen on the way back. We got hit with a down pour about 3 miles from hour house on the way back LOL. That was 'fun.' I have driven this car pretty much all summer and so far I have put 5700 miles on it. :) I took the M5 to work today since I dropped off my two highschoolers at school today and neither was willing to ride in the trunk of the Boxster.

The Boxster/Cayman is a very capable long drive car. The key is the seats man, it's all in the seats.

Mike

Plant Land vehicle Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've done Houston to NYC to Montreal back to NYC back to Houston. Going north we did as many scenic routes, as we could fit in without doubling back (the Talimena Scenic Drive, the Ozarks back and forth, the Cherohalla Scenic Drive, the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Skyline Drive, aND the Delaware Water Gap). During our sabbatical in NYC we did many other Northeast Scenic routes in Upstate NY, Connecticut and Vermont.

This year, we drove from Houston to St. Louis and then retraced Route 66 as best as we could, all the way to Kningman AZ. 18 days 4500 mi.

The Cayman S is fast, comfortable and can take an amazing amount of luggage (needed for 18 days on the road)
View attachment 34456
would love to see a pic of the load once inside the car;)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
would love to see a pic of the load once inside the car;)
Didn't think about taking a photo. Rest assured, we didn't leave anything behind. In the passenger cabin we had my favorite pillow behind my wife's seat, my camera next to her feet and the Route 66 book for guidance. Everything else went in the two trunks.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster PDK
256 Posts
We're planning on going to the Spring Treffen in Colorado Springs. Looking forward to that ride. Really loving our Boxster and the base turbo four is very economical. We have seen plus 30 mpg.

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
158 Posts
seriously...... i drove my first 718 home from philly. 356mi. door/door.

when i got home, the stars were shining bright, and then she kissed me!

my GF or SHATZI. your's to guess!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put 3,479 miles on mine round trip on a drive from Memphis to Paradise Valley in Montana last month over the course of five days of driving (and over 2500 miles in a rental Excursion with family in between legs). 3 days out and 2 days back. The 18-way adjustable sport seats are exceedingly comfortable!
Car Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the Canadian border finally opening up I had a chance to visit my family. So on the spur of the moment I changed the oil in my 718 boxster and headed north. I have to say I have done this trip in many cars and motorcycles but this trip was by far the most enjoyable and most comfortable. Besides the thrill of that 4 cylinder turbo torque rocketing up the smokey mountains, I was shocked to see 31.6 mpg and trust me there was a lot of 80 -90 mph speeds, thank you waze, so accurate, saved me at least 4 times. The boxster is smooth and quiet with top up, 95 degrees most of the way up but at dusk the roof goes down to view the mountains, its so exhilarating. How can a car handle so good and flat yet be so comfortable over bumps. Seats are a dream. 3200 miles and I was finding new roads through Tennessee so not to get home, lol. I was fortunate to drive tail of the dragon and its a must visit by all. Bottom line, this car is bucket list for your favorite long trip, don't save it for just short weekend driving. Make a plan and you will remember it for life. Not to mention every where you stop people will google over your car. Thumbs up from every biker and other car enthusiast. One more note, tons of luggage space, even brought tools and computers. View attachment 34448
Totally agree!! Just did a 300 mile two nighter and before Covid we did a 3000 mile one week trip and
Got around 30mpg hitting 120 A couple of times!
We love our Boxster S. Plenty of room for luggage and most anything else we need.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts