Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sounds great! Seems a bit louder than the vids APR posted.
Thanks! I think the difference is they filmed outside with the camera probably 10' away. I'm in the garage with the camera about 3' away and a wall another 3-4' behind that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ok, uploaded it to YouTube and it works! Short clip but you get the point. Loudest revs are to 4k the rest about 3k.
Is there any perceived drone or resonance with your setup when cruising around at partial throttle? I am particularly interested about the experience in normal driving conditions (e.g. at 40 mph, 70 mph highway, etc.).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Is there any perceived drone or resonance with your setup when cruising around at partial throttle? I am particularly interested about the experience in normal driving conditions (e.g. at 40 mph, 70 mph highway, etc.).
No drone or resonance in the brief amount of driving I've been able to do so far (< 65 mph). On constant throttle in high gears sound seems very OEM like inside the cabin.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
For what systems that were previously available, SOUL was the best IMO. This new is APR system seems on par in the sound department and fit appears to be spot on. Looks like consumers now have a second solid system to consider.

Congrats to APR and @[email protected] on what looks to be a winning combination!

If you want drone, go with FabSpeed SuperCup....

Put my car back to stock to trade on a GT4, thankfully that deal didn't happen (long story). Going back to stock meant removal of the SOUL system that was IMO perfect. But running in stock form just isn't going to cut it for me on a car I'm now keeping. Found a heavily discounted (same price I sold my SOUL system for) Fabspeed SuperCup system and pulled the trigger. I thought, maybe it's counterfeit and that would explain the price? Nope, shipped direct from FabSpeed to my door!

SuperCup is different in every aspect... LOUD, PISSED, ANGRY, copious amounts of DRONE and unfortunately a fit thats not on par with what SOUL seemed to offer. It's not terrible, it just took some engineering to properly align the aesthetics due to alignment issues further up the line. It's light though... offering a large weight savings because of less components.

I can't speak for the APR system but it looks like APR is offering great fit, sound and overall quality. Had I known of this APR system before this latest change, I would have surely given it a go. Looks quality and the video posted is proof enough for the sound department. I sort of regret purchasing the SuperCup because it's less refined in sound (not bad just brutal) and drones like crazy. It's cool though, I like trying different things and will run this until the next itch.

·
Registered
718 GT4
247 Posts
Ok, uploaded it to YouTube and it works! Short clip but you get the point. Loudest revs are to 4k the rest about 3k.

That does sound and look great IMO. Great that it's a modular system too. And **** good value in comparison to many of the 4.0 (back box) options!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thank you, and it is in Sport i guess?
I like the sound from it, is it much loader then stock?
Yes, that clip was in Sport mode.

Louder and much richer sound than stock. Granted I have an APR tune that already enhanced the stock sound, so I'd say much improved over stock.

·
Registered
352 Posts
So, got the car out for about an hour and a half today of mostly spirited driving in an attempt to better judge the livability of the system in the single valve configuration, well and to have some fun. Windows were up due to the temps outside. Biggest impression was that the system has very much a Jykell & Hyde persona. At RPMs in and around the 1.5-2.5k range the system is certainly louder than stock, but liveable as you can control the sound first with the valve and then shifting from Sport mode to Normal mode. The tone is vastly improved over the PSE. On the highway in 6th gear sitting around 75 mph and 3k revs it is louder than PSE. I didn't notice much difference in sound with changes in mode or valve control and at that point the valve may already be open under engine control.

Once you get up around 3k rpm it starts to get loud in the cabin. Under throttle it is beastly and mellows out a bit coming off throttle, but is still loud. I picked up some resonance at around 3100 rpm under certain engine loads and throttle positions and most notably in 4th gear both coming on throttle and coming off. But, it didn't last falling off by 3400-3500 rpm and when falling through 3000 rpm. Shifting to Normal mode does quiet it down a bit, but if you are hammering it and getting above 3000 rpm, it still gets loud in the cabin.

All-in-all, if you are looking for more sound out of the car you will certainly get it! As I've mentioned, the sound is deeper and richer as well and provides an extremely nice tone, which will sure to be noticed outside the car as well as in the cabin. As far as livability of the volume, this configuration will be fine for tooling around in Normal mode for regular day-to-day or highway driving and a couple hours at a time of driving hard in Sport mode, but any longer than that and you may want to consider adding a muffler. I'm thinking of a rally I do in June where you are driving hard at least 5 out of the 8 hour day for 3 days straight. The added muffler might be a good choice for that scenario.

I might add that anyone who will complain about the sounds out of the flat four with this system installed is simply anti-four cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Yes, that clip was in Sport mode.

Louder and much richer sound than stock. Granted I have an APR tune that already enhanced the stock sound, so I'd say much improved over stock.
Thought I was the only one that felt the tune added more pop to the stock PSE. It's amazing how much the APR tune changes the car. Not only performs better but even with the stock system in place you will notice increased exhaust note!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thought I was the only one that felt the tune added more pop to the stock PSE. It's amazing how much the APR tune changes the car. Not only performs better but even with the stock system in place you will notice increased exhaust note!
Agree, I have the APR tune, an x-pipe, and I blocked off the balance pipe and I think the sound is now the right sound. I just wish I could take that sound and turn it up from a 5 of 10 to a 6-7 of 10. The tune makes its sound throaty now. So I think a 200 cell downpipe is my next step vs an axle back, though staying tuned for more videos of owner cars.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Agree, I have the APR tune, an x-pipe, and I blocked off the balance pipe and I think the sound is now the right sound. I just wish I could take that sound and turn it up from a 5 of 10 to a 6-7 of 10. The tune makes its sound throaty now. So I think a 200 cell downpipe is my next step vs an axle back, though staying tuned for more videos of owner cars.
I strongly recommend the soul downpipe with cat. It’s a great fit and really opens up the sound track.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Install was pretty painless and all the parts were of amazing quality. @RotorOver notes were a huge help! Sounds fantastic and looks great. No in car audio clip but a short cold start and rev here - http://instagr.am/p/CLAT1WJJrXD/
very very happy with this exhaust!

View attachment 30039
Sorry if I missed it but what model is your Cayman? Does it have an ECU tune or any other performance or exhaust mods? The sound is nice. Now that it's a bit later have you noticed any drone yet?

61 - 80 of 116 Posts