Porsche 718 Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Vendor
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I'm sorry about that. I dislike ETAs. They are frustrating because if anything gets delayed, then our ETA is shot. But, good news is parts are here. Production said they are on the schedule to be built up next week. Our ETA is the end of the month, but I'm pretty sure we'll beat that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Question about the valve position when running this system without mufflers. With the valve closed - wouldn't that essentially block the exhaust gasses on the passenger side of the exhaust? When the factory PSE valve is closed it just seems to route the gasses more directly through the muffler. But with the APR system arent you essentially plugging up one side of the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Question about the valve position when running this system without mufflers. With the valve closed - wouldn't that essentially block the exhaust gasses on the passenger side of the exhaust? When the factory PSE valve is closed it just seems to route the gasses more directly through the muffler. But with the APR system arent you essentially plugging up one side of the exhaust?
Porsche Oem Pse does the same :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You are right, I just looked and was mistaken about the design of the PSE. Still seems like an odd design to block off half the exhaust.
I did not understand it either when i got my first 718, and Non Pse always has both pipes open.
But it works so Porsche does know what they are doing, sometimes....

·
Vendor
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Here's how the exhaust is laid out:

All 4 cylinders merge into the turbo to form one exhaust path.

The exhaust then Y's after the cat.

With the valve closed it only goes out the long path.

With the valve open it goes out both paths.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman
14 Posts
After waiting several months for it to arrive, I just installed the APR cat-back system without mufflers. The quality of the system is impeccable! The welds are perfect. The x-pipe is well constructed and is fully functional. The fit and finish is superb. The install was very straight forward and easy. I was able to use a lift at a friend's place, so it only took 1 1/2 hrs to remove the stock system and install the new one. I've got a base 718 and this system gives the car a deeper, more throaty sound. It doesn't drone and it's not super loud... just loud enough. The tone has changed more than anything. Of course, when I'm hard in the throttle... you can definitely hear the difference. Went with the 4" double-walled polished tips to finish it off. I'm very impressed with APR and highly recommend this exhaust system. If it's too loud for you, you can simply add a muffler or two... since their system is modular.

·
Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
19 Posts
What configuration are you running? I have PSE on my car, so I am thinking base system + 1 valve. Just trying to see if the muffler on the left is worth it - don't want the wife to complain :LOL:
I have the base system with the valve and it is perfect on my GTS. I actually bought the muffler for the driver side to use with the valve if I needed it, but never installed it. Buy the base system and if you need the muffler, I will sell you mine. (y)

·
Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman
14 Posts
What configuration are you running? I have PSE on my car, so I am thinking base system + 1 valve. Just trying to see if the muffler on the left is worth it - don't want the wife to complain :LOL:
I bought the base system. With it being modular, I figured why spend the money on a muffler or two up front? If it's too loud, I can simply add a muffler within a few minutes. In my humble opinion... the base system is not too loud or annoying in any way. Even my wife likes it. Frankly, it does sound a bit louder, but it's more about the tone... it really accentuates the crackles and pops that the engine makes. It livens up the car and sounds like a performance car now...without sounding like a kid with a farting Honda Civic or Kia.

Up next is the APR tune and I'm seriously thinking about a Soul downpipe with the hi-flow cat. If anyone has any firsthand experience with either... I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman T
37 Posts
I bought the base system. With it being modular, I figured why spend the money on a muffler or two up front? If it's too loud, I can simply add a muffler within a few minutes. In my humble opinion... the base system is not too loud or annoying in any way. Even my wife likes it. Frankly, it does sound a bit louder, but it's more about the tone... it really accentuates the crackles and pops that the engine makes. It livens up the car and sounds like a performance car now...without sounding like a kid with a farting Honda Civic or Kia.

Up next is the APR tune and I'm seriously thinking about a Soul downpipe with the hi-flow cat. If anyone has any firsthand experience with either... I'm all ears.
Appreciate your insight! I am running on an opposite parallel path as you - I just had my tune loaded earlier this week. Have only a few miles on it but it's about what I expected. Easier to drive as you can just "boost" through and not downshift around town.

This will be my 4th vehicle with an APR tune (first Porsche) but as expected, so far so good. Do it!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here's how the exhaust is laid out:

All 4 cylinders merge into the turbo to form one exhaust path.

The exhaust then Y's after the cat.

With the valve closed it only goes out the long path.

With the valve open it goes out both paths.
ive adjusted the diagram adding a link pipe, the PSE gets its increased volume by diverting all flow of exhaust gas through just one muffler, the mufflers are also not equal in size with the left being larger than the right.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts