Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
The best Porsches are cars like then 918, GT3 RS or former Carrera GT.
The 718 is handling better than a normal 911 that's right, but not better as a 991.2 GTS with RWS and Sport PASM and that 4 cylinder engine is far behind of the engines used in the 991.2 especially the GTS version, whichs pulls very hard und sounds very nice (for a turbo engine).

Thomas is a chatterbox...... (with funny english)

It would be interesting what car he is driving privatly. May be a entry level c class mercedes or something like that. Most important no animal skin.....

·
892 Posts
The 718 is handling better than a normal 911 that's right, but not better as a 991.2 GTS with RWS and Sport PASM and that 4 cylinder engine is far behind of the engines used in the 991.2 especially the GTS version, whichs pulls very hard und sounds very nice (for a turbo engine)[/QUOTE

Yes the 991.2 has more power & torque but it's also a much heavier car & for me I prefer the balance & handling characteristics of a Boxster or Cayman over any 911 I've ever driven. The turbo engines in the 982/718 whether you like them or not are very much faster than the flat 6 units in the previous 981 series. As much as I liked the sound of my old car, the flat 4 turbo offers far superior performance that's way beyond what even the figures would suggest. I've also grown to like the sound & although I still have a soft spot for a flat six it would be really hard to go back to anything short of a GT4 or Spyder in a mid engined car because I'd simply miss that vastly improved performance too much. Even then this car has improved in so many other ways over the 981 that I just don't think I could do it unless I absolutely had to.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Acky, agree the 911 Carrera GTS is an amazing Porsche. Have to go back to the n/a 3.8 litre 997 GTS to find one within 60hp of the 718 S, but otherwise these two have similar torque, weight and both 7-speed PDK. And both have results on the short circuits at Hockenheim and Magny-Cours, makes for interesting comparison....

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 718 is handling better than a normal 911 that's right, but not better as a 991.2 GTS with RWS and Sport PASM and that 4 cylinder engine is far behind of the engines used in the 991.2 especially the GTS version, whichs pulls very hard und sounds very nice (for a turbo engine)[/QUOTE

Yes the 991.2 has more power & torque but it's also a much heavier car & for me I prefer the balance & handling characteristics of a Boxster or Cayman over any 911 I've ever driven. The turbo engines in the 982/718 whether you like them or not are very much faster than the flat 6 units in the previous 981 series. As much as I liked the sound of my old car, the flat 4 turbo offers far superior performance that's way beyond what even the figures would suggest. I've also grown to like the sound & although I still have a soft spot for a flat six it would be really hard to go back to anything short of a GT4 or Spyder in a mid engined car because I'd simply miss that vastly improved performance too much. Even then this car has improved in so many other ways over the 981 that I just don't think I could do it unless I absolutely had to.
Well said!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts