Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts

Drove one on my roadtrip trough Cornwall (England) this summer, it's straight piped from factory, and for a little 1.4 it has a great sound =) At the B&B where we were staying had to remind myself to put it out of 'sport' mode before leaving the car otherwise we woke up the guests when leaving in the morning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am not only a new member here but also a first time Porsche owner. I am coming from a 2017 AMG c63s Coupe which had a glorious soundtrack and I loved every minute of owning it until I had a friend take me for a drive in his 2018 718s on Stunt RD. I could not get that drive or sound out of my head. Like many I heard all the complaints about the sound of a 718 but during the entire drive I was thinking this car does not sound bad at all, it actually had a very unique sound that I rather liked. Fast forward 2 weeks and I was driving my own 718 GTS on that same road.

I buy cars for the emotions that they make me feel and the 718 has given me more emotions than the AMG ever could. Does it sound as good at the 500HP V8 AMG engine, not even close, but the driving experience overall is why I would take the 718 over the AMG, over the 911 and over just about any car that I would consider as a realistic daily driver.

I am hooked and cannot wait for Saturday to come so I can take the 718 into the canyons.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am not only a new member here but also a first time Porsche owner. I am coming from a 2017 AMG c63s Coupe which had a glorious soundtrack and I loved every minute of owning it until I had a friend take me for a drive in his 2018 718s on Stunt RD. I could not get that drive or sound out of my head. Like many I heard all the complaints about the sound of a 718 but during the entire drive I was thinking this car does not sound bad at all, it actually had a very unique sound that I rather liked. Fast forward 2 weeks and I was driving my own 718 GTS on that same road.

I buy cars for the emotions that they make me feel and the 718 has given me more emotions than the AMG ever could. Does it sound as good at the 500HP V8 AMG engine, not even close, but the driving experience overall is why I would take the 718 over the AMG, over the 911 and over just about any car that I would consider as a realistic daily driver.

I am hooked and cannot wait for Saturday to come so I can take the 718 into the canyons.
...Welcome! The GTS will certainly evoke an emotional response and I always enjoy hearing about other enthusiasts passion for driving and ownership! Always a fan of the GTS... congratulations on your new beauty. Glad you're enjoying its unique sound! Share some photos when you get a chance!?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks everyone here so I am aware of the soundaktor. I have a Cayman S with PSE. I usually drive with Sports mode. Have been wondering why sometimes the car rattles given it is only one year old and it is a Porsche. Now I know why and I totally distaste anything fake. Thinking only Tesla would do such fake sound. Will disconnect the thing ASAP, no matter it sounds better or not. Probably not.

Already replaced the PSE with the Kline exhaust (without changing the downpipe ). It’s somewhat better and slightly louder. Hopefully the in-masking from soundaktor will actually make it better and pure.

I ordered a few weeks ago the 200 cell Kline downpipe. It should be here any time now. Should give me better air flow, better/louder sound, and better throttle response

BTW, also have Cobb tuning installed, so turbo boost pressure is higher when pushed. All of that should contribute to a better sound.

Will report back once downpipe is installed and soundaktor is disconnected.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts

Mayzo:

I had the same experience...except my previous car was a '19 911 Carrera T. It was a stupendous car and everything about it was "better" than this leftover '18 GTS (plus cash) I traded it in for. Everything except driving it! The 911 does some cool stuff...but nothing beats a Cayman...and I think the 718 Cayman GTS is the best of them for the street.

I had an '06 Cayman S. I put every mod on that thing that wouldn't make it illegal for road use or too harsh or loud for anywhere but track days. It was really quick but this GTS is better than that car right out of the box.

What I don't like is the crude sounds you get at low speeds with windows closed. Someone will figure out a solution to that. I have confidence! If they do, I'm keeping this car a long time.

:)

·
Super Moderator
1,629 Posts
<snip>What I don't like is the crude sounds you get at low speeds with windows closed. Someone will figure out a solution to that. I have confidence! If they do, I'm keeping this car a long time.

Drive faster, open a window, shift down a gear. (There you go.:D Enjoy the car for a long time.)

(Or play with the exhaust pipes as per Johan's post--somewhere here.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had the 200-cell downpipe installed. Added a pro-tune to take it up to stage 2(?)

Now it is getting close to the Kline advertisement.

When pushed, the sound is nice

What’s more, if I push hard and suddenly let go the gas peddle (not brake), there is loud blurp which sound like a motorcycle. Love it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also no Soundaktor in my GTS. Removed the trim, nothing there.
same here. Couldn‘t find the soundactor in my GTS.

So I ask the same question; anyone who can say for sure there is no soundactor in the gts models?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
same here. Couldn‘t find the soundactor in my GTS.

So I ask the same question; anyone who can say for sure there is no soundactor in the gts models?
It's still there, just the terminal that was in the trunk is gone. Listen between the seats when your driving and you'll clearly hear the rumble right there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It's still there, just the terminal that was in the trunk is gone. Listen between the seats when your driving and you'll clearly hear the rumble right there.
You can just pull a fuse for the Soundaktor, correct? AFAIK, it is a discrete fuse and does not affect any other electronics. And you don't get any alert or CEL when pulling it?

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
You can just pull a fuse for the Soundaktor, correct? AFAIK, it is a discrete fuse and does not affect any other electronics. And you don't get any alert or CEL when pulling it?
Easy, just follow the instructions in the massive Soundaktor thread. In your Cayman, like in my 2019, it will be in the right rear fuse box and the only 7 amp fuse there. Like others, I taped a small ziplock bag with the pulled fuse to the underside of the upholstery you pull away to get to it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
More to pile on....

Ok so now I have just over a thousand miles on the car... it's seen more than 4K RPM a few times but not much. :) Here is what I think of the sounds- from a non 6 cylinder perspective (never had a flat 6).

I like back fires on occasion with Sport... lower speeds only. It cracks me up.
Sport sound is HORRIBLE when shifting at high RPMs... I just don't like it.

I love Sport+ for the most part but would really like Normal mode sounds... but with Sport/Sport+ options (rev matching, etc)

I love the 4 cylinder sounds in Normal mode at revs..... I really do. But I don't want 1000RPM idle and louder exhaust fromS/S+... and I don't think it's all from Soundaktor and PSE.

I feel like I'm constantly messing with my settings and it's making me a little nuts... like when I put it in normal mode and FORGET I don't get rev matching on down shifts! Why is Porsche doing this to me?

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
More to pile on....

Ok so now I have just over a thousand miles on the car... it's seen more than 4K RPM a few times but not much. :) Here is what I think of the sounds- from a non 6 cylinder perspective (never had a flat 6).

I like back fires on occasion with Sport... lower speeds only. It cracks me up.
Sport sound is HORRIBLE when shifting at high RPMs... I just don't like it.

I love Sport+ for the most part but would really like Normal mode sounds... but with Sport/Sport+ options (rev matching, etc)

I love the 4 cylinder sounds in Normal mode at revs..... I really do. But I don't want 1000RPM idle and louder exhaust fromS/S+... and I don't think it's all from Soundaktor and PSE.

I feel like I'm constantly messing with my settings and it's making me a little nuts... like when I put it in normal mode and FORGET I don't get rev matching on down shifts! Why is Porsche doing this to me?
@718S, even in my mid 60s I'm thinking you are more mature than I am! :) Still, what's wrong with putting the car in Sport mode and then simply hitting the button with the exhaust pipes on it to turn off the sport exhaust?

·
Registered
366 Posts
@718S, even in my mid 60s I'm thinking you are more mature than I am! :) Still, what's wrong with putting the car in Sport mode and then simply hitting the button with the exhaust pipes on it to turn off the sport exhaust?
Sport has the pops that I don't want. Sport and Sport+ still sounds different to me even with PSE off... maybe it is only the Soundaktor noise but I think it's more that just that.

I just want Normal exhaust with ALL the other Sport/Sport+ functions- rev matching, sensitive throttle, etc.

And why does the idle need to be 1000RPM? Don't see what that gets me. If I need to bring the RPMs up from a standing start I can do that.

I'm really not that upset... but it is weird IMO the way they have it. I just want good, clean performance! The 4 banger sounds fine at higher RPMs IMO without other stuff! :D

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Sport has the pops that I don't want. Sport and Sport+ still sounds different to me even with PSE off... maybe it is only the Soundaktor noise but I think it's more that just that.

I just want Normal exhaust with ALL the other Sport/Sport+ functions- rev matching, sensitive throttle, etc.

And why does the idle need to be 1000RPM? Don't see what that gets me. If I need to bring the RPMs up from a standing start I can do that.

I'm really not that upset... but it is weird IMO the way they have it. I just want good, clean performance! The 4 banger sounds fine at higher RPMs IMO without other stuff! :D
Without the aktor:
Sport and sport+ should sound different, Normal and Sport+ will sound (until you floor it) the same.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Without the aktor:
Sport and sport+ should sound different, Normal and Sport+ will sound (until you floor it) the same.
Yeah- I'm thinking that's my best option- Sport+... maybe I'll pull the Soundaktor fuse again too... maybe it's doing more than I thought.

I still can't believe these car companies put speakers in to "enhance" the sounds... nutty. But maybe they were very concerned due to the changes from the flat 6.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I still can't believe these car companies put speakers in to "enhance" the sounds... nutty. But maybe they were very concerned due to the changes from the flat 6.
Seems to be a German trend beyond Porsche nowadays. While watching an in car video of a BMW M2 on a race track, my subconscious mind was clanging alarm bells chaotically. Took me a moment, but it finally dawned on me that it was the _exact_same_ engine sound from the interior that my Mk7 GTI makes while in sport mode. Impossible since the engines between the two cars are vastly different, especially the 4 vs 6 cylinders. At least on the VW, the soundaktor can be disabled quickly via the OBD2 port. Now my car no longer sounds like a fake BMW engine. :D

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yeah- I'm thinking that's my best option- Sport+... maybe I'll pull the Soundaktor fuse again too... maybe it's doing more than I thought.

Enhanced sound aint nothing ne, BMW have had "Engine sound" in the speakers for years.
But here Porsche took the shortest route, on 981 the intake goes in the cabin thru a Helmholtz.
It takes time to tune a helmholtz and the sound aktor comes straight from VW :(

On 718 - 2020 there is a different aktor and a different tune on the exhaust.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts