Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
On 718 - 2020 there is a different aktor and a different tune on the exhaust.

When I picked up my 718 this spring I ripped out the sound aktor fuse before even driving the car out of the showroom.
I have due to curiosity popped the fuse back in to see what it sounds like, this was prompted by a thread in here showing a stereo build on a faktory fresh 718 which had a different sound aktor than the model found in the earlier 718 models.
The reason I removed the fuse before even starting the car was that sound aktor that used to come on the 718 was identical to that in my 2018 Golf GTI, and I do not like the sound (or should I say resonating behaviour) of that model.
After seeing the design of the new sound aktor I became curious of how it sounded.
My guess what that if Porsche changes such an item it can only be to the better??
The original sound aktor looks mostly to be a linear motor which is bolted to the bulkhead and resonates/vibrates the bulkhead to create sound. This is not a good solution as it often sounds like some part of the body is resonating in a way it should not, and is often perceived as a drone.
The new model looks to have a trumpet, so my hope was that it is more like a speaker than a linear motor, the benefit of this is a more well controlled sound, which is what we want (if we want fake sound at all).
After driving with the fuse back for a couple of weeks my impression is that the new sound aktor is very subtle, and has none of the resonating/droning nature of the sound aktor in my GTI.
I must say that I currently have not been tempted to rip out the fuse again, which I am kind of surprised about.
I think it would be very interesting to drive two identical 718's of different years (i.e. different sound aktor models) back to back to better be able to hear the difference of the two models.
I would of course also appreciate any feedback from someone who has experience with both sound aktor types to hear what they think as I have only very little experience with the old sound aktor in a 718 (test driving prior to ordering).

For reference 99% of my driving is top down, sports mode and PSE on.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
When I picked up my 718 this spring I ripped out the sound aktor fuse before even driving the car out of the showroom.
I have due to curiosity popped the fuse back in to see what it sounds like, this was prompted by a thread in here showing a stereo build on a faktory fresh 718 which had a different sound aktor than the model found in the earlier 718 models.
The reason I removed the fuse before even starting the car was that sound aktor that used to come on the 718 was identical to that in my 2018 Golf GTI, and I do not like the sound (or should I say resonating behaviour) of that model.
After seeing the design of the new sound aktor I became curious of how it sounded.
My guess what that if Porsche changes such an item it can only be to the better??
The original sound aktor looks mostly to be a linear motor which is bolted to the bulkhead and resonates/vibrates the bulkhead to create sound. This is not a good solution as it often sounds like some part of the body is resonating in a way it should not, and is often perceived as a drone.
The new model looks to have a trumpet, so my hope was that it is more like a speaker than a linear motor, the benefit of this is a more well controlled sound, which is what we want (if we want fake sound at all).
After driving with the fuse back for a couple of weeks my impression is that the new sound aktor is very subtle, and has none of the resonating/droning nature of the sound aktor in my GTI.
I must say that I currently have not been tempted to rip out the fuse again, which I am kind of surprised about.
I think it would be very interesting to drive two identical 718's of different years (i.e. different sound aktor models) back to back to better be able to hear the difference of the two models.
I would of course also appreciate any feedback from someone who has experience with both sound aktor types to hear what they think as I have only very little experience with the old sound aktor in a 718 (test driving prior to ordering).

For reference 99% of my driving is top down, sports mode and PSE on.

Where in Denmark do you live?

·
Registered
126 Posts
@alf_17 : You have me intrigued with your comments about 2019 soundaktor being different than 2017 & 2018. I removed my fuse after 150 miles partly due to comments from others on this forum and very much to a bias against anything fake. Without Soundaktor I cannot tell any difference with PSE on or off other than the engine backfire.

I wonder how everyone would react if their Soundaktor actually made the engine interior sound better? Would you leave it on or remove because it is not the real sound? To me the perfect scenario would be to have Soundaktor defeatable separately from ability to turn engine backfires on and off. I know a previous OP was working on a solution for this, although at that time the almost universal forum consensus was that Soundaktor only caused an annoying drone.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Regarding this part... is this confirmed? And would that be 2019 rather than 2020?

Oups, My bad, 2019 it is!
There are pics to find on the new aktor with the elephant trunk.
what Porsche have done to the exhaust i dont now, my guess is that with the partical filter they had to do it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I haven't pulled the fuse to mine because I don't find the sound particularly objectionable. I've noticed the sound doohickey only turns on once the PDK is engaged. It's off in neutral or park, so I'm able to ascertain what it sounds like without it on. I think it actually masks some of the engine noises and I don't mind that.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I wonder how everyone would react if their Soundaktor actually made the engine interior sound better? Would you leave it on or remove because it is not the real sound? To me the perfect scenario would be to have Soundaktor defeatable separately from ability to turn engine backfires on and off. I know a previous OP was working on a solution for this, although at that time the almost universal forum consensus was that Soundaktor only caused an annoying drone.

On principle I am against fake engine sound, which is also why I disabled it before even driving it, and why it is still disabled in my GTI.
But in my GTI the sound aktor does not add anything positive to the sound of the car (in my mind), only clearly fake sound and resonant rattles.
In the 718 however the natural sound of the engine is just slightly enhanced and amplified by the sound aktor, and does not sound fake to me.
That is however my current perception based primarily on top down driving, the perceived sound could be different with the top up.

To sum up, I am in principle against fake engine sound, but if done correctly I do not really object to it being there.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The very northern part of Jutland, near the town Hirtshals.

Why so far away ;)
I live in the middle of Malmö - Helsingborg, if yiu where based around Copenhagen (Skånes Capital) we could have met up and do some sound testing :)

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Why so far away ;)

Because it is much quieter, less people, cheaper housing and more beautiful nature in this region than in Copenhagen ;)
The fact that I am born and raised and most of my relatives also live in this region might also have something to do with it :D

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Because it is much quieter, less people, cheaper housing and more beautiful nature in this region than in Copenhagen ;)
The fact that I am born and raised and most of my relatives also live in this region might also have something to do with it :D

Well i live out in the woods so i understand every word you say!
I worked in Denmark for 10 years and lived at Amager for 1½ year, but now i am done with the city Life.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The problem is, once you learn it's fake it doesn't matter what the sound is like. You'll just 'know' it's not real and won't be happy.

For example imagine the Soundaktor makes your 718 sound exactly like a GT3, or even an F1 car (or any other sound you love), because it's fake and can't be heard outside the car I would never be happy. You might as well put on a CD of 'the world's best sounding cars' and listen to that while you drive around! It amounts to the same thing.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The problem is, once you learn it's fake it doesn't matter what the sound is like. You'll just 'know' it's not real and won't be happy.
Well, I'd argue it depends on what "real" is. The story was that when Mazda developed the original Miata they collected a bunch of classic British roadsters and spent a lot of effort trying to duplicate the exhaust sound. That effort seemingly had nothing to do with performance but rather, was tailoring the exhaust note for marketing reasons. That's not especially "real" either.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well, I'd argue it depends on what "real" is. The story was that when Mazda developed the original Miata they collected a bunch of classic British roadsters and spent a lot of effort trying to duplicate the exhaust sound. That effort seemingly had nothing to do with performance but rather, was tailoring the exhaust note for marketing reasons. That's not especially "real" either.
I think when the sounds comes from the actual engine/exhaust we're good with that. When they play around with tubes/pipes/baffles to get a desired sound it's all good.

When they play a sound from a speaker to accentuate the noise it's fake and doesn't feel right. IMO anyway.

Reactions: 982CS

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think when the sounds comes from the actual engine/exhaust we're good with that. When they play around with tubes/pipes/baffles to get a desired sound it's all good.

When they play a sound from a speaker to accentuate the noise it's fake and doesn't feel right. IMO anyway.
Well said and I agree 100%

·
Registered
569 Posts
^I agree.
I could hardly believe how much better it sounded after I pulled the Soundaktor fuse.
It's much more natural and centered further back where it should be.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As for the inside engine sound (without Soundaktor), I would rate it 6 out of 10 between idle and 4.5k rpm and 3/10 above 4.5k rpm. To explain, I don't think it sounds bad at higher rpm, it just does not sound good or different. To me it is same as lower rpm, just a little louder and somewhat rough. I am spoiled by the beautiful whine from the 981 GTS I test drove and the powerful sound of a V8 like a Corvette or Jaguar.

I love my Cayman and would rate the overall performance (8.5/10) with engine/throttle 8/10, PDK transmission 10/10, suspension 8/10, steering 9/10. I have to admit when I am powering through curvy roads the sound is not high on my mind as the handling is so spectacular. I also don't think about the sound when doing an exhilarating launch control from a stop. It is more when accelerating really hard in a straight line while already moving I think about the sound and am somewhat disappointed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
New owner here, I tend to run our Boxster S in sport mode when I am driving. What I have noticed is that the motor sounds like it is missing at low RPM's, the car runs smooth so I know it isn't but it sounds that way. I've noticed WRX's sound the same way. When the motor spins up though I think it sounds great. I guess I will get used to it sounding rough under 2K RPM's, I don't really like it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took a friend for a drive for the first time today. He just had his cancer come back and had not been able to see my car yet (718 CGTS with Soundaktor disabled). His first words were, "it sounds great! I love that sound." A little later he asked if there is a special exhaust to make it sound so good. Like almost all my friends / golf buddies he is not very sports car oriented or knowledgeable. This has not changed my opinion about the 718 CGTS strongest areas, but as many have said the sound is good to non-YouTube reviewers and people that did not own the Flat 6. He was really blown away when we did a Launch Control.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I really don't notice it much unless I'm in sport mode. I actually prefer quiet and turn off the sound effects when I drive.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts