Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
What I have noticed is that the motor sounds like it is missing at low RPM's, the car runs smooth so I know it isn't but it sounds that way. I've noticed WRX's sound the same way.
That is actually a feature of any flat 4 due to the firing order. The firing order of a flat 4 must be both on one side then both on the other in order for it to be balanced. The 718 engine fires 1-3-2-4, where numbering from the front 1 and 3 are on the left. That order makes it perfectly balanced, better even than an inline 4. Anything else makes it horribly unbalanced.

FWIW, my neighbor who owns an older Triumph motorcycle and a later BMW often comments how my Cayman sounds so good. It whooshes like a big monster V-8 because it pushes so much air even at idle. He used to love the sound of the Triumph GT-6 I sold to make room for the Cayman.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
140 Posts
The other day I had a repair guy at the house. Turns out he s a car guy and has a 2010 Z06. After he worked he wanted to go into the garage and see my 718. He really like everything about it and was even considering getting out of the Z06. At last I said to him "don t laugh" and started it up in SPORT mode. A few revs and shut it down. To my surprise he said it sounded really good to him. I think when people don't pre judge the flat 4, flat 6 debate that the car sounds great to them. This was coming from a v8 person, go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Took my base Cayman in for her 2-year maintenance at Blue Grass Motorsport and they have a glass garage where you pull in near the Service Dept. desk. Checked her in and all that and was waiting for the loaner to come around. There was a younger man in the showroom next to the garage waiting to sign in his Macan. Meanwhile, a service guy hops in my car and starts it up. All that glass must have magnified the roar and it made me smile. I turned to the young man, who looked suitably impressed and said, "I love that sound!"

81 - 85 of 85 Posts