Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BGTS 4.0 MT, Carmine Red
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still a new guy to the forum but have noticed that there's lots to talk about in miscellaneous threads throughout the forum related to determining the best spec for an allocation but also for the dreamers out there who just enjoy configuring dream specs and fun specs. Maybe this thread could serve as a centralized location for viewing and discussing the myriad of Porsche configurations.

To start, I'm taking delivery on a 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0 MT in Carmine Red with GTS Race Tex interior in Carmine Red next month (barring any further delays at the ports). I struggled a bit with settling on this, going from all black to Chalk with blue leather interior & roof, to GT Silver exterior with Bordeaux Red interior, and ultimately settled on Carmine Red in homage to the red Indian Springfield I thought I'd never give up. I think if the PTS feature had been available (as it is now) back when I was configuring, I'd have been very tempted by PTS Oslo Blue and Bordeaux Red.

Let's hear what you've got, what you'd love, and what just sounds fun (good or bad!)

Carmine Red: PNG4KE52
Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle
Car Vehicle Sky Wheel Tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design

PTS Oslo: PPYMQN15
Tire Wheel Car Sky Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Speedometer

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here's mine: PPKBA9R8

CGTS Carmine Red w/ Black / Bordeaux leather interior - I found this example at a Porsche dealer in China - mine will have deviated black leather seat centers to break up some of the red

- but this one hits many of my options

I'm adding other extras:
Steering Column in leather w/ deviated stitching [black leather w/ bordeaux stitch]
Dashboard Trim package in leather w/ deviated stitching (this is center grill / sport chrono / defroster panel [black leather w/ bordeaux stitch]
Sport Seat Plus seat shells in leather [bordeaux leather w/ bordeaux stitch]
(they're painted silver plastic by default)

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Radio
Seat belt Window Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle
Water Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
602 Posts
My Guards red over black Cayman isn't too particulary interesting as I bought it pre-owned but I did add the red belts.

My Macan is more out there as I spec'd it myself.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Vehicle Plant Car Motor vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Speedometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Automotive design

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have any good pics, just some random.

clear rear "window"

Track day
Beautiful car. I am glad I went with red. What do you think of that clear glass? Did the OEM screen really obstruct your rearview or is this more of an aesthetic modification?

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
653 Posts
I'm still a new guy to the forum but have noticed that there's lots to talk about in miscellaneous threads throughout the forum related to determining the best spec for an allocation but also for the dreamers out there who just enjoy configuring dream specs and fun specs. Maybe this thread could serve as a centralized location for viewing and discussing the myriad of Porsche configurations.

To start, I'm taking delivery on a 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0 MT in Carmine Red with GTS Race Tex interior in Carmine Red next month (barring any further delays at the ports). I struggled a bit with settling on this, going from all black to Chalk with blue leather interior & roof, to GT Silver exterior with Bordeaux Red interior, and ultimately settled on Carmine Red in homage to the red Indian Springfield I thought I'd never give up. I think if the PTS feature had been available (as it is now) back when I was configuring, I'd have been very tempted by PTS Oslo Blue and Bordeaux Red.

Let's hear what you've got, what you'd love, and what just sounds fun (good or bad!)

Carmine Red: PNG4KE52
View attachment 44963 View attachment 44966
View attachment 44964 View attachment 44965

PTS Oslo: PPYMQN15
View attachment 44954 View attachment 44958
View attachment 44955 View attachment 44957
OK, you asked for it, so I'll give you my "adjustments". Great build by the way, I'd just like to see you go with LWB Seats for the really great look and feel for a GTS 4.0. And I figured out how to get you there without blowing up the price by eliminating a few things I see as frivolous compared to the substance of LWB seats. Your build is $113,610. Mine is $114,100. Not including P1 Design seat inserts for $1,800+/-

Here's the code: PPKTHHS4

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, you asked for it, so I'll give you my "adjustments". Great build by the way, I'd just like to see you go with LWB Seats for the really great look and feel for a GTS 4.0. And I figured out how to get you there without blowing up the price by eliminating a few things I see as frivolous compared to the substance of LWB seats. Your build is $113,610. Mine is $114,100. Not including P1 Design seat inserts for $1,800+/-

Here's the code: PPKTHHS4
Well done, sir! The decision was less about cost and more about that I hadn't found an opportunity to try getting into and out of LWB seats in time for spec lock. All the information I found them was that while excellent for the ride they are quite frustrating to get out of. I suppose it could be added later, as I intend to hold onto this car a while. 🤙🏼

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well done, sir! The decision was less about cost and more about that I hadn't found an opportunity to try getting into and out of LWB seats in time for spec lock. All the information I found them was that while excellent for the ride they are quite frustrating to get out of. I suppose it could be added later, as I intend to hold onto this car a while. 🤙🏼
LWB command a hefty premium as parts sold off cars - since the buyers are aware of the $$$$ as factory installed option, they are priced accordingly on parted out cars

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LWB command a hefty premium as parts sold off cars - since the buyers are aware of the $$$$ as factory installed option, they are priced accordingly on parted out cars
Funny how much time we spend working towards clinching an allocation etc, how quickly that time slips between our fingers. My allocation came unexpectedly and before I knew it, I was out of time. Not that I think I'd have changed much but would have been nice to find LWBs to test out, for instance. Oh well, I'll enjoy those 18 ways to mess around with hip squeezers and whatnots 😆

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Beautiful car. I am glad I went with red. What do you think of that clear glass? Did the OEM screen really obstruct your rearview or is this more of an aesthetic modification?
Thank You :)

I have the auro dim function on the rear view mirrors and with clear glass it reacts better.
Dimmed i still get a clearer view and my eyes dont like the mesh.
And it is easier to spot the signs of an unmarked police car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Funny how much time we spend working towards clinching an allocation etc, how quickly that time slips between our fingers. My allocation came unexpectedly and before I knew it, I was out of time. Not that I think I'd have changed much but would have been nice to find LWBs to test out, for instance. Oh well, I'll enjoy those 18 ways to mess around with hip squeezers and whatnots 😆
Bucket seats are ONLY for people who truly want bucket seats. In other words; you would have known you wanted buckets without having to be told. They're complete overkill on anything short of a car that spends 80% of its life on the track, unless you just have to have that racer-boy feeling every time you back out of your garage- and they'd affect your resale too (huge bonus for someone who wants them, but actively avoided by everyone else).

Carmine Red is a gorgeous color. I had it on a 991.2 Carrera S. It sort of shifts depending on the ambient light, it can go from a deep blood red in shade/overcast to a brilliantly striking bright red in direct sunlight. Couple of my favorite pics below to illustrate this (I do miss this car!):

Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Otherwise, can't go wrong with your build; you have the essentials- GTS interior and premium package. The car itself will take care of the rest. I would have advised against the smartphone compartment but it's a small price to pay.

Here's my incoming Arctic Grey build: The Porsche Code

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've had plenty of time so far (7 months) awaiting the allocation and I've tweaked options - between the price increase from '22 > '23 and changes in options its a $3.6k increase

along the way I discovered a couple of things that I've been able to research, find images, etc.

deletions:
  • Door Panel Trim Pkg in Leather (deleted this option - very minor amount of changes for nearly $700)
  • Pedals in Aluminum (not recommended by advisor - they're slippery, especially with leather soles)
  • changed paint color from Guards Red to Carmine Red (GR is very orangey in light - wouldn't go with my interior colors)

additions:
  • Carmine Red costs $$$$, but its a beautiful color shifts from ruby red to brilliant red
  • Sports Seats Plus seat shells in leather
I kept going back forth, in the coupe body you don't "see as much"; when you have an interior color (Black / Bordeaux in my case) that silver painted plastic stands out. I'm not getting deviated stitching but looking at @Treemagnet's build - the workmanship / details really make a difference. The painted plastic looks cheap and the color really stands out; if it was a dark gray or black plastic...I could have lived with the plastic shells.

I have 10 way seats in my W208 CLK - and I also ordered the Multi-contour option (not common) which has pneumatic adjustments for backrest bolsters, thigh support, upper lumbar, lower lumbar.
I've driven 800-850 stints and those seats are very comfortable.
-I've adjusted the lumbar, raise / lower the front area of cushion, change thigh support and having those adjustments make these absolutely superb, comfortable seats

with the 18-way SS+, I know that I can make the backrest bolsters more snug or more ease and the same for the cushion bolsters.
So when I go at in in the curves or out at a track, I adjust that seat to hold me more snugly
- if its cooler weather and I have bulkier clothes (we can get winters in the 20s in NC) I can open up the bolsters for more comfort for those around-town drives.

and having those adjustments / memory settings - I have a setting if I'm wearing bulkier boots vs. what I'd wear in the summer - so that's a value to me.
The SS+ 2 ways don't have the adjustments to raise / lower the front of the cushion vs. the back...so that ruled those out. And you can't get leather covering the backrest shells with the 2-ways - it forces the change to the 18 way version if you want that additional option.

So the waiting has allowed me to refine and consider options - this one's a long term keeper. Probably the last vehicle I'll buy.

Retirement isn't that far off (a little more than 9 years out) and IMO the future doesn't appear to have much appealing in the way of new vehicle choices - I'll keep my "fleet" that I have (which will be 3 vehicles). Anything wears out, it gets rebuilt

·
Registered
557 Posts
Bucket seats are ONLY for people who truly want bucket seats. In other words; you would have known you wanted buckets without having to be told. They're complete overkill on anything short of a car that spends 80% of its life on the track, unless you just have to have that racer-boy feeling every time you back out of your garage- and they'd affect your resale too (huge bonus for someone who wants them, but actively avoided by everyone else).

Carmine Red is a gorgeous color. I had it on a 991.2 Carrera S. It sort of shifts depending on the ambient light, it can go from a deep blood red in shade/overcast to a brilliantly striking bright red in direct sunlight. Couple of my favorite pics below to illustrate this (I do miss this car!):

View attachment 45024
View attachment 45025

Otherwise, can't go wrong with your build; you have the essentials- GTS interior and premium package. The car itself will take care of the rest. I would have advised against the smartphone compartment but it's a small price to pay.

Surprised you didn't go with Carmine on the BGTS since you had it on your former 991 - but some folks like to try out different colors

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

View attachment 45024
View attachment 45025

Now that is good to know, and from my perspective I think you're spot on. Why was the phone compartment ill advised?

This brings me to my next spec to share! If I ever find the money for a second Porsche, it'll be the GT4 RS, and that one will have bucket seats for sure.

Gorgeous photos by the way!

Vehicle Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Surprised you didn't go with Carmine on the BGTS since you had it on your former 991 - but some folks like to try out different colors
That's precisely it; Carmine Red is a fantastic color, but I've had it already. I'm excited to be one of the first to have Arctic Grey on a BGTS! A little risky as I've never seen the color in person but I'm optimistic it won't disappoint.

Now that is good to know, and from my perspective I think you're spot on. Why was the phone compartment ill advised?

This brings me to my next spec to share! If I ever find the money for a second Porsche, it'll be the GT4 RS, and that one will have bucket seats for sure.

Gorgeous photos by the way!

View attachment 45033
View attachment 45032
Not speaking from experience, but I did a bit of due diligence and the smartphone compartment barely does anything at all; it's supposed to boost signal and provide charging but it's more of a "trickle charge", and the signal boosting is questionable at best. The consensus is it's just not worth the cost, hopefully your experience is different.

And yes, I agree- on a GT car, bucket seats are appropriate. Not at home on a GTS IMHO.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
653 Posts

View attachment 45024
View attachment 45025

With all due respect, it's fine for you to state your personal opinion that LWB seats are not for you. But making blanket statements like you did only adds to the generalizations which initially resulted in me not considering LWB's. In retrospect, many of the discouraging generalizations came from those who had never even driven a car with LWB, or were of body size/shape that was not conducive to them.

I drove 30k miles in 14 ways in my former 997 911S. I drove nearly 50k miles in my former 981 Cayman S with 18 ways. I'm now just under 4k miles in my 8 month old 2022 Cayman GTS with the LWBs. In my opinion, the LWB are equal in comfort to the 18 way for long drives (have done 300+ miles straight), and noticeably better in lateral support for more enthusiastic driving as in our recent PCA drive and dine through the back roads of Virginia. You truly sit "in" these seats, not on them and for me, that's a very desirable attribute.

I had ordered a 2021 GTS last April with the 18 way seats, but when it arrived in July, it had the 2-way SSP, which were substituted due to a shortage of memory chips. The dealer missed the notification from the factory and took full responsibility, allowing me to re-order a 2022. Given another month to reconsider the options before the lock date, I sat in and drove my neighbor's GT3 with the LWB. I quickly discovered that many of the criticisms about the LWB seats were wrong, at least for me. I didn't need mechanical assistance or contortionist moves to get in and out of them, nor did my wife. The lack of being able to adjust the angle of the backrest was a non-issue. To the contrary, I think it has resulted in putting me in a better driving posture - and less unintentional back strain - over how I had positioned the 18 ways. The look, and ability to replace the seat centers and backs with a custom design is a bonus, but its the driving feel and comfort that won me over.

I do agree that LWB are not for everybody. And they are a $3k+/- premium over 18 ways. But I vehemently disagree with "track only", "boy racer" generalizations. EVERYBODY should try out all the seats Porsche offers for themselves. I have had several PCA members and dealer customers come over to both test sit in my seats and see the P1 Design inserts in person to help them make the right decision for them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With all due respect, it's fine for you to state your personal opinion that LWB seats are not for you. But making blanket statements like you did only adds to the generalizations which initially resulted in me not considering LWB's. In retrospect, many of the discouraging generalizations came from those who had never even driven a car with LWB, or were of body size/shape that was not conducive to them.

I drove 30k miles in 14 ways in my former 997 911S. I drove nearly 50k miles in my former 981 Cayman S with 18 ways. I'm now just under 4k miles in my 8 month old 2022 Cayman GTS with the LWBs. In my opinion, the LWB are equal in comfort to the 18 way for long drives (have done 300+ miles straight), and noticeably better in lateral support for more enthusiastic driving as in our recent PCA drive and dine through the back roads of Virginia. You truly sit "in" these seats, not on them and for me, that's a very desirable attribute.

I had ordered a 2021 GTS last April with the 18 way seats, but when it arrived in July, it had the 2-way SSP, which were substituted due to a shortage of memory chips. The dealer missed the notification from the factory and took full responsibility, allowing me to re-order a 2022. Given another month to reconsider the options before the lock date, I sat in and drove my neighbor's GT3 with the LWB. I quickly discovered that many of the criticisms about the LWB seats were wrong, at least for me. I didn't need mechanical assistance or contortionist moves to get in and out of them, nor did my wife. The lack of being able to adjust the angle of the backrest was a non-issue. To the contrary, I think it has resulted in putting me in a better driving posture - and less unintentional back strain - over how I had positioned the 18 ways. The look, and ability to replace the seat centers and backs with a custom design is a bonus, but its the driving feel and comfort that won me over.

I do agree that LWB are not for everybody. And they are a $3k+/- premium over 18 ways. But I vehemently disagree with "track only", "boy racer" generalizations. EVERYBODY should try out all the seats Porsche offers for themselves. I have had several PCA members and dealer customers come over to both test sit in my seats and see the P1 Design inserts in person to help them make the right decision for them.

“With all due respect”. If only it were that easy to just “try all the seats”. Not all of us have neighbors with GT3s.

The other thing about LWBs is that if you have them you’re guaranteed to tell everyone to get them. It’s all well and good but you yourself concede they’re not for everybody. That’s an expensive and permanent mistake to make if they’re not for you. And I still think they look silly and out of place on a GTS, which is by designa street car that can be taken to the track. But yes that’s just an opinion.

Head Jaw Gesture Happy Font

1 - 20 of 59 Posts