Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
161 Posts
Nissan, at some point, had flappy paddles on their CVT and programmed in artificial shift points. Didn't make it engaging.

As others have said, at the end of the day it's an automatic transmission. Almost all OEMs have a dual clutch system of some sort and right or wrong, everyone views them as auto.

I do enjoy getting a PDK loaner but after a few goes at the paddles, it's back into auto and I just drive. Doesn't do much for me as the full perceived control and engagement isn't there.
And some people like to ride horses - that will give you "engagement". I used to like to ride motorcycles. Now I will take the heated/air conditioned comfort of four wheels and automatic transmission.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
161 Posts
Thanks for the post. Where can I buy the car you describe. Sounds like a real sports car without any computers.
Try a Jaguar XK120. Or if you want something with roll up windows, a 3.8 Jag E-Type. You will love them - lots of "engagement". Look in Hemmings.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
161 Posts
If I wanted an old car I would buy ___ (fill in the blank).
That is EXACTLY the point.

When I buy a NEW car, like a 718, I want one with modern creature comforts. When I buy an OLD car I don't expect modern creature comforts. With the old car I can play with the clutch, gearbox, roll up windows, manual top, crappy AM radio, etc, etc, and etc. to my hearts content (and then probably some!). When I am going to the grocery store or driving 1,000+ miles on a trip I will take the modern car, PDK and all, thank you very much.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
161 Posts
So I take it you will be trading in your 718 soon for a Tesla with autopilot? Gas engines and driver input is so antiquated.

Your grouping of a manual transmission in with AM radio and roll-up windows is comical. Not sure if you are trolling or just naïve as to why people enjoy driving a car with a manual transmission.
To each his own. If the Teslas had a range and recharge time comparable to the ICE vehicles I would have one.

I am not alone in not wanting a manual transmission. Only five percent of new vehicles sold today are manual. Most vehicles are not even offered with a manual option. If they were so desirable everybody would want one. If you like the manual transmission, great, get one. I have one. It is a PITA to drive in heavy traffic and in hilly cities. For me I will take one of my cars with the automatic if I have to drive very far.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
161 Posts
I think you misunderstood the intent of my post. I am in no way knocking the PDK nor saying anyone is any less of a man or enthusiast by choosing to purchase a PDK equipped car. I was responding directly to a poster who likened a manual transmission to some archaic form or driving torture (TRUE) and who couldnt fathom why anyone would ever want to shift their own gears (NOT true - I don't want to shift my own gears in a car I drive every day. If you like doing that, fine.)

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
161 Posts
But it's also silly to say that there is no additional pleasure in driving a manual (at least for people who are good at it).
You sound like my wife telling me what I like and don't like.
I am good with a manual transmission. I learned how to drive with a manual transmission and took my first driver test with one - more than 50 years ago. My first two cars had manual transmissions. I have had about 20 cars and motorcycles with manual transmissions. I still have a '65 E Type with a manual transmission. I find no additional pleasure driving a manual. You, and others obviously do as well. That is fine.

Reactions: GregW

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
161 Posts
I love my manual and would not trade for a PDK but no one will argue that PDK is not the better track choice. Reasons F1 drivers don't shift is that these double clutch autos are virtually flawless. Something must be up with your data because the maximum speed from tests in a PDK in first gear is approximately 84 km/h (52 mph). Btw track lap times in PDK are always faster than manual same as 0-60 times.
114kph in first gear = 11,200 RPM for the engine - if the engine is still running this did not happen

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
161 Posts
Thanks for that explanation.

It did appear a bit strange, but now I have done the calculation I realize it is impossible to have been in 1st gear. Is 2nd gear at 114km/h at 6500rpm more plausible? Or if the OBD data was out of sync, then I guess none of the data (incl. rpm) can be trusted? Pity.
in 2nd gear 6500rpm = 112kp/h, 114kp/h = 6609rpm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts