Porsche 718 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
NASCAR transmissions make use of an H-pattern gearbox. ... Unlike the transmissions on normal manual cars, NASCAR cars do not require the driver to press the clutch pedal while shifting gears. Although NASCAR cars have clutch pedals, these are rarely used when shifting gears. Straight cut gears are essential for racing vehicles because they produce no axial load and increase torque, which allows the car to perform more efficiently. Because the axial load is decreased by the straight cut gears, it is easier for NASCAR drivers to shift gears without having to use the clutch pedal. They are more engage by not using the clutch just like the PDK transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe PDK is not your standard automatic transmission, contrary to what some may believe. The PDK transmission was originally developed for racing, while automatic transmissions use a torque converter for gear changes, PDK transmissions can use human input with paddle shifters to trigger gear changes. It works much like two manual transmissions in tandem–one set for odd gears, and one set for even. This means they are always ready to be selected at a moment’s notice. In fact, gear changes with the Porsche PDK are so quick, they are nearly imperceptible–just a few milliseconds, to be exact. The PDK transmission for racing is extremely super fast, but it also offers many more advantages as well. There’s no clutch to engage, making it easier to use during day-to-day drives, and it even offers an automatic mode. Ever tried driving a high-powered performance car around town and winced at the weight of the pedal every time you’ve tried to deploy the clutch? Again, PDK eliminates this, making high-powered 911s and 718 Cayman GT4 RS such as the Turbo, Turbo S and GT3 useable day-to-day. You’ll have to give that left thigh a workout elsewhere. Believe it or not, you can still have fun with PDK, you can still enjoy ‘manual’ mode, using the shifter like a sequential ‘box, pulling it ‘to’ for change ups and ‘away’ for lightning-quick change downs. The driver can control shifts via buttons or paddles on the steering wheel or with the shift lever. There is also a fully automatic mode, with the normal shift setting oriented towards smooth shifting. Sport or Sport Plus modes completely transform the shift strategy, providing firm and lightning-fast shifts at far more precise intervals than most mortals can muster. Perhaps, most importantly, and what most will agree with, it’s a more engaging transmission to drive all around.
Thanks for a regurgitation of what everyone has known for 15 years.

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S
24 Posts
Holy crap, I had a dream about this d*** discussion, and @GregW, you pretty much summed up what I woke up thinking this AM, except my manual life has only been about 40 years.

I even dreamt we did a survey (out of morbid curiosity) to see what folks in a very specific sports car group like this really felt (basically, know how to drive a manual but wanted a pdk, knew and got a manual, don't know how to drive a manual). I have to stop reading this stuff before bed :)
OMG, I’m not alone! I’m very comfortable in my skin and don’t need to try to convince others of my preferences. But the passion behind the individual choices and the justification is so refreshing. It’s not political or gloom and doom. Thank you all!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
NASCAR transmissions make use of an H-pattern gearbox. ... Unlike the transmissions on normal manual cars, NASCAR cars do not require the driver to press the clutch pedal while shifting gears. Although NASCAR cars have clutch pedals, these are rarely used when shifting gears. Straight cut gears are essential for racing vehicles because they produce no axial load and increase torque, which allows the car to perform more efficiently. Because the axial load is decreased by the straight cut gears, it is easier for NASCAR drivers to shift gears without having to use the clutch pedal. They are more engage by not using the clutch just like the PDK transmission.
You really should reference the source for your post as it's verbatim from another site. ;)

·
Registered
2021 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 6 speed manual
43 Posts
No one will argue that the PDK is far superior Transmission or that Electric cars with single speed transmissions are faster, but that is not that point of owning a 4 cycle internal combustion engine with a manual gear box. Take a listen to one of my favorite Rush songs “Red Barchetta” if you dont get it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
These MT v PDK threads do get old, especially the umpteenth time around. Lots of MTs in my life, '79 Mustang, old Chevy pickup with 3 on the tree, old Bronco II with manual everything, old Mazda MPV, Integra (very sweet 5 speed), and friends' 2016 CGTS and GT3. I personally find MTs reduce my driving engagement. For me, the engagement is in picking a line through a corner, fully focused on what is outside the car, not what's inside the car. So I chose PDK, not because I can't drive an MT, but because I don't want to. I don't like old 19XX Porsches either, mostly because I think they are ugly. So I am a heretic. Porschemania shows different symptoms in different people, but we all have a form of the disease. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today.

·
Registered
2022, Cayman GTS , PDK
6 Posts
The 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe PDK is not your standard automatic transmission, contrary to what some may believe. The PDK transmission was originally developed for racing, while automatic transmissions use a torque converter for gear changes, PDK transmissions can use human input with paddle shifters to trigger gear changes. It works much like two manual transmissions in tandem–one set for odd gears, and one set for even. This means they are always ready to be selected at a moment’s notice. In fact, gear changes with the Porsche PDK are so quick, they are nearly imperceptible–just a few milliseconds, to be exact. The PDK transmission for racing is extremely super fast, but it also offers many more advantages as well. There’s no clutch to engage, making it easier to use during day-to-day drives, and it even offers an automatic mode. Ever tried driving a high-powered performance car around town and winced at the weight of the pedal every time you’ve tried to deploy the clutch? Again, PDK eliminates this, making high-powered 911s and 718 Cayman GT4 RS such as the Turbo, Turbo S and GT3 useable day-to-day. You’ll have to give that left thigh a workout elsewhere. Believe it or not, you can still have fun with PDK, you can still enjoy ‘manual’ mode, using the shifter like a sequential ‘box, pulling it ‘to’ for change ups and ‘away’ for lightning-quick change downs. The driver can control shifts via buttons or paddles on the steering wheel or with the shift lever. There is also a fully automatic mode, with the normal shift setting oriented towards smooth shifting. Sport or Sport Plus modes completely transform the shift strategy, providing firm and lightning-fast shifts at far more precise intervals than most mortals can muster. Perhaps, most importantly, and what most will agree with, it’s a more engaging transmission to drive all around.
Thank you for the info i have just ordered a Cayman GTS with PDK , great info above thank you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Locked in my config last Tuesday for an April build with a manual transmission (real manual, not the auto you are calling manual).
Your @porschwolfe spiel didn’t sell me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Locked in my config last Tuesday for an April build with a manual transmission (real manual, not the auto you are calling manual).
Your @porschwolfe spiel didn’t sell me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Congratulations on your manual you saved some money. If you are not going to race or track your Porsche than manual transmission is for you. PDK got its start in racing because its faster shifts meant quicker lap times on the track and much faster acceleration from stand still. For your information the PDK is auto and manual without using the clutch. Most race car drivers don't use the clutch anymore because it slows them down.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
For me, I think if I had a PDK tranny, I'd drive much faster and be less focused on my driving or maybe a little more reckless with it because I'd get lazy. If I were on a track, I'd want PDK so I could focus more on the track turns and want to get the most speed thru them, if that makes sense. When I'm driving back road twisties I enjoy the engagement an MT provides.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congratulations on your manual you saved some money. If you are not going to race or track your Porsche than manual transmission is for you. PDK got its start in racing because its faster shifts meant quicker lap times on the track and much faster acceleration from stand still. For your information the PDK is auto and manual without using the clutch. Most race car drivers don't use the clutch anymore because it slows them down.
If you want to enjoy your track day most, you’d do that by mastery of a manual car. It’s exactly the manual box that makes it more fun, as it’s a satisfying skill to learn.

Otherwise you’re talking about lap times and effectively engaging cheat mode. Less fun, but potentially fractionally faster.
100% Acceleration flat out from a standstill, is something rarely used, be it on track days, or on the road.
Again, it might be a bit faster on a stopwatch, but there’s no fun or skill in it really.

I enjoy a PDK sometimes, but only in cars that are less about fun. It’s an auto at the end of the day.

Race car drivers don’t use the clutch as it slows them down:ROFLMAO:
If it’s a conventional modern manual box, I can assure you they do!

They mostly use single clutch automated manual boxes. They have flat shift programmed into the ecu, so they don’t have to lift. These are faster and lighter that twin clutch boxes.
The clutch is used to pull away.

It can be quite amusing to drive a manual Cayman without using the clutch once rolling. With a lot of practice, you’re passengers wouldn’t even notice.

·
Registered
2021 718
59 Posts
Right in time for the holidays, this old chestnut never gets old. I do have the PDK for the reasons stated and am happy with the choice but I also enjoy my little manual 6 speed R Line Beetle with phase 1 Tune and 300 hp. So I have PDK but still not totally uncool. Haha

·
Registered
2021 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 6 speed manual
43 Posts
You really should reference the source for your post as it's verbatim from another site. ;)
This is just someone trying to convince himself he made the right choice. For me it is simple - the manual is more fun. Everything else is academic. It really comes down to why did you buy the car. If you’re trying to get the absolute best track times then get a PDK. Not sure who you are actually racing since none of us are professionals. I didn’t buy a track car. I bought a car to drive through the mountains of North Carolina and have fun on the weekends. No better way to do that than a Porsche with a manual transmission.

I almost changed to a PDK at the last minute thinking about all of the performance advantages. I spoke to my salesman, a long time Porsche driver and track driver and he convinced me to go with the manual for the simple reason that I will have more fun and it’s far more engaging. And agreed if I’m on a track I don’t wanna be shifting for the same reason Formula One drivers don’t shift manually.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,567 Posts
I tend to think a PDK is the right choice for many who buy a 718 who track their cars, or commute to work in them. Then there is the more esoteric reason of enjoying the experience of the car, but not wanting to fool with the mechanics of it. For some who have no experience at driving a manual, and really don't want to learn or fear they may harm the car by doing so, then I can see them with the PDK. Those who listen to the radio, jukebox, CD player or SD cards for music and/or podcasts, they may benefit from the PDK also. I say, "Go for it!"

Personally, my manual-equipped car is for curvaceous, sometimes crappy, rural and sometimes scenic roads that require your full attention and the appropriate gear in the moment. I enjoy going up through the gears and then down through them and trying to hit the perfect synchrony of the process. On the track I spend two weekends a year upon, gear changing isn't a time-consuming or onerous task (although I hear PDK-equipped cars using more gear changes than I).

Which is better? To quote the Moody Blues, "But we decide which is right; And which is an illusion."

Reactions: mikedvzo

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
72 Posts
I have owned the car for 5 months and driven only on the road, until last week when I did 2 days of Porsche driving experience. It was my first time on a track. I had an OBDII bluetooth interface and recorded the sessions with my phone.
I did most of the sessions in S or S+ with the PDK left in auto. I did not often look at the gear indicator, but I remember in some corners it seemed like the engine was over-revving.
This weekend I downloaded the data and found that after heavy braking (from around 170 down to 70km/h), the PDK was shifting down to 1st gear and sometimes holding it until 110km/h. Gear indicator below right from the RPM on the left in the pictures.
Even though I would not change to a MT because 99% of my mileage is on a public road, I would now say that a MT would have been better on the track - although for a novice, having to think about changing gears, not hit the car in front and not go off the track in a corner may be too much to ask. Perhaps I should have tried manual mode and used the paddles, so I had control over the gear selected?
Any experienced track drivers have input on this?
BTW, the 4 cylinder engine doesn't sound great over 6000rpm. There was a stock 981 Cayman GTS on the track and I could hear it accelerate over the whine of my engine. Much nicer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,567 Posts
You know, driving my Cayman is something of an altered state of being, and it meets my long-time requirement of being able to come home afterward!

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
196 Posts
This weekend I downloaded the data and found that after heavy braking (from around 170 down to 70km/h), the PDK was shifting down to 1st gear and sometimes holding it until 110km/h.
Interesting. That would seem more like your top speed in second gear (tops around 120 kph / 75 mph), I think first only goes to around 80 kph (50 mph). Still sounds like a ton of fun though

81 - 100 of 113 Posts