Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one has an object 50.4 inches tall and one removes 20mm from that height, what is the height of the new object?

Porsche answer: 50.4 inches tall

Now that's annoying.

(49.6" would be an alternate answer)

718 Boxster Base vs. 718 Boxster T... really, what is the point of a spec page? Also, EVERY reviewer that talks to Porsche has the 718 Boxster T as less than 3,000 lbs. And no where on any spec sheet it has that.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the only website i have been on in over 20 years for cars that does not have things like Height correct. Or weight. Toyota, Subaru, Honda, Lotus, Mini, all were correct and accurate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the numbers on Toyota, Subaru, Honda, Lotus and Mini spec sheets meet your standards then you should probably buy one of those brands, Never heard of that being a main criteria for purchasing but whatever spins your crank. So you have verified specs on every web site you have been on for the last 20 years plus?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If one has an object 50.4 inches tall and one removes 20mm from that height, what is the height of the new object?

Now that's annoying.

718 Boxster Base vs. 718 Boxster T... really, what is the point of a spec page? Also, EVERY reviewer that talks to Porsche has the 718 Boxster T as less than 3,000 lbs. And no where on any spec sheet it has that.
Me thinks you have too much time on your hands.😮

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
This is explained in a technical bulletin which got very little circulation. Lowering the car 20cm changes the driver's perspective of the road. To compensate Porsche raised the seat by 20cm. To accommodate tall drivers it also required raising the roof line by 20cm. Actually it's 19.7mm. So for all practical purposes the height is the same.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You appear to be assuming that all those numbers are actually correct on the other manufacturers' pages. Did you actually measure and weigh all those other cars to know they were correct?

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is explained in a technical bulletin which got very little circulation. Lowering the car 20cm changes the driver's perspective of the road. To compensate Porsche raised the seat by 20cm. To accommodate tall drivers it also required raising the roof line by 20cm. Actually it's 19.7mm. So for all practical purposes the height is the same.
I cannot see them changing the body due to the addition of $100 dollar lowering springs. That would be freaky

·
Registered
224 Posts

Now that's annoying.

As the self appointed 718forum peer support manager, I recommend you read Viktor Frankl’s, Man’s Search For Meaning. We are there for you. Stay strong!

·
Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
57 Posts
Geez.
Is that what they call “over-engineered?”

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Apparently absurdity alone is not enough for someone to recognize absurdity.

I'm sure some famous person said that at one time or another.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a lot of cars. Out of curiosity, did you own all those vehicles and personally measure and weigh every one of them in all trims? Would be interesting to see that spreadsheet posted.
oh just the ones I owned. Hm. It would be model year specific. The two (one was mine, one was another guy's) 2017 Subaru BRZ limited was dead on 2800lbs before the performance pack. The 2006 mini cooper S, i used to know the number for that. Mini overrated by 24lbs heavier as it had a 17" wheel upgrade, most common. Dimensions were exact on both.... Lotus was accurate, but they have to be, not much of a surprise there. The only option was sound deadening and a seating fabric choice from what i remember. Silly 2015 toyota camry SE to drive family around new york city was withing 11 lbs i remember right i tihnk. My family used to run chem companies and we had weighing scales that fit a regular sized car on it. We had that calibrated twice a year at least. Was accurate to less than 0.2 pound error for heavy loads. Fancy. I wrote this crap down somewhere. I no longer have such a scale, i have never been in a boxster, and every reviewer who talks to the company and gives information has all of these cars rated totally differently than the website. I was just hoping to figure out how to get notably below 3000 lbs. 2800lbs is the heaviest so far I have had for a sport car daily driver.

I am beginning to think though that the Mid engine and that the length of the car is considerable in wheelbase and +30-50 lbs would not be really noticed as i would have in the other stubbier cars. An S might be as good as a T

Now the MX-5 RF ND2 2019 i have i did not weight myself. However, it is one of the most weighed cars in existence i would venture to guess, and the few hundred forum people i talk to every week have that thing weighed to the gram. But the rest yes

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Now the MX-5 RF ND2 2019 i have i did not weight myself. However, it is one of the most weighed cars in existence i would venture to guess, and the few hundred forum people i talk to every week have that thing weighed to the gram. But the rest yes
No. I have an ND2 ST Club. Mine weighs more than the expected weight because I have the Brembo/BBS/Recaro pack. Mazda didn't publish a figure for this. Also the additional weight means that my car is at least several microns lower than a Club spec without BBR (net the fibers that sometimes stick up from the roof fabric)

So now, as a result, I'm actually getting diffraction on the laser that I had carefully placed in the garage to park this car under. It's all quite distressing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts