Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had my 718 Cayman GTS for 18mth now. Awesome car. I actually like the sound, great cold start. It was always my intention to move to a 992 eventually. I changed from an M4 CP to the Cayman before the 992 came out. I love the Cayman GTS more every day. The fact that Porsche has discontinued the engine and replaced it with this 4.0 GTS has taken the wind out of my sails, even though I think my PDK 2.5T GTS would outdrive a MT NA GTS. I am exercised that Porsche have discontinued the engine in my GTS after I bought one new for >£75,000. I would have been very happy to drive the GTS for another 2y but this unexpected move by Porsche has accelerated my possible change. My local Porsche garage let me have a 992 C2S coupe for 3d, while they valeted my Cayman GTS. I really liked the 992, but it is much more civilised than the Cayman, less focused, not as angry and even though it’s faster than the Cayman, it doesn’t necessarily feel faster. My point is, it was no hardship at all getting back into my Cayman GTS after having been in the 992 for 3 days. The 2.5T GTS remains a fantastic machine, and visceral. If I’m going to move to flat 6, I don’t see the point changing to a Cayman GTS 4.0 or GT4, not enough of a change I guess. I’ll possibly just go 911 and be done with it? Thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess so. I was surprised at how civilised and GT-like the 992 was vs the Cayman. I had no intention of changing until Porsche announced this new NA GTS. Maybe I should ignore it and enjoy my turbo GTS for another while?

So, is the question, which of these less satisfying cars should succeed your more satisfying GTS 2.5T?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I’ve had my 718 Cayman GTS for 18mth now. Awesome car. I actually like the sound, great cold start. It was always my intention to move to a 992 eventually. I changed from an M4 CP to the Cayman before the 992 came out. I love the Cayman GTS more every day. The fact that Porsche has discontinued the engine and replaced it with this 4.0 GTS has taken the wind out of my sails, even though I think my PDK 2.5T GTS would outdrive a MT NA GTS. I am exercised that Porsche have discontinued the engine in my GTS after I bought one new for >£75,000. I would have been very happy to drive the GTS for another 2y but this unexpected move by Porsche has accelerated my possible change. My local Porsche garage let me have a 992 C2S coupe for 3d, while they valeted my Cayman GTS. I really liked the 992, but it is much more civilised than the Cayman, less focused, not as angry and even though it’s faster than the Cayman, it doesn’t necessarily feel faster. My point is, it was no hardship at all getting back into my Cayman GTS after having been in the 992 for 3 days. The 2.5T GTS remains a fantastic machine, and visceral. If I’m going to move to flat 6, I don’t see the point changing to a Cayman GTS 4.0 or GT4, not enough of a change I guess. I’ll possibly just go 911 and be done with it? Thoughts welcome.
I hate to say it, but the two platforms are so different that I see it as an apples to oranges comparison. So my opinion as to whether to swap for a 992 is ..., it depends.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I’m in the apples to oranges camp also. The 992 is just so different from the 982. I really like the 992 but it feels so sophisticated, I am hesitant to get an MT car. The modern feel and drive of the car just begs for a pdk. The 982 4.0 on the other hand seems like it would be a great MT car.

I agree with you on feeling a bit shafted by Porsche’s abandonment of the 2.5T in the GTS. If I forego getting a 992 it will most likely be because I feel Porsche sh!t on my car and treated me like a second class citizen. In fact, I do find myself shopping harder for a substitute for Porsche more than I normally would.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I’m in the apples to oranges camp also. The 992 is just so different from the 982. I really like the 992 but it feels so sophisticated, I am hesitant to get an MT car. The modern feel and drive of the car just begs for a pdk. The 982 4.0 on the other hand seems like it would be a great MT car.

I agree with you on feeling a bit shafted by Porsche’s abandonment of the 2.5T in the GTS. If I forego getting a 992 it will most likely be because I feel Porsche sh!t on my car and treated me like a second class citizen. In fact, I do find myself shopping harder for a substitute for Porsche more than I normally would.
While I can understand a Cayman buyer spec'ing manual transmission, I agree today's 911 begs for PDK. (Full disclosure, I'm a PDK convert and would never go back.)

·
Registered
319 Posts
It’s much bigger than a 718 and has a back seat (a no-no for a true sports car IMO). It’s nice but it’s a different animal. Whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think if you have always wanted a 911 Carrera S then the 992 is the one to get. Like the 718/982 was to the 981, everything is better in the 992 compared with the 991. As people have pointed out its a much bigger car and potentially more luxurious than your 718 mid engined gocart but the 992 hides its extra weight well, just make sure you get it with Rear Axle Steering if you want to maintain that agility.

Under certain conditions each car will perform better such as the tight winding mountain roads your 718 GTS will arguably be the more nimble car but the 992 will not be far behind. Get on the open road and the high speed sweepers and the 911 will stretch its legs and move ahead.

I think asthetically the new 992 is also better with nicer proportions. Almost as pretty as the 718. The 992 is still a little big at the back but much better asthetically balanced than in the 991. That turbo charged flat six, like the 2.5 T in the 718, also has a lot of potential.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point. In fact the 718 GTS exhaust is opening up and over runs more and more as times goes on. It’s a visceral engine. It’s just the fact that Porsche has given way to the negative comments, even though we know it’s one of the best driving Caymans ever.

I'm a bit confused, does the 982 4.0 make your 2.5T drive worse now?

I say if you're happy with it, ignore everyone else and enjoy it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you have the money move on to the 992. Porsche's cancellation of the 2.5 T4 has dinged all of us 718 GTS owners to a greater or lesser extent. You are already inclined towards a 992 and it seems you trade cars frequently. Enjoy life and get a car that satisfies you completely.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just an opinion with regards to the 911, I would go with the 991.2. The reason is I prefer the more traditional dash and console. Some say it’s a bit aged and tired. The 992 is much more modern or “futuristic”. That’s just a personal preference. The exterior is beautiful. I drove the 991.2 at PEC ATL and I actually enjoyed the car very much even though it had a back seat. But I also drove a base 718. Ended up with a 718 CS. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well with the 992 you won't be driving the stepchild in Porsche circles. You know. The "cheap" Porsche. If that is reality in the real World and if matters, I'd say go for it. You'll get the monkey off of you back and won't have to keep apologizing for owning a 4 cylinder Porsche facsimile.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Porsche may have discontinued the 2.5 GTS, but not the 2.5 engine.
Seen in hindsight the 2.5 S and 2.5 GTS was too close in power, so maybe it was a good idea for Porsche to introduce the GTS 4.0 to spread out the range more.
I own a 718 base Boxster, and I will be keeping it for many years forward, and I really like the engine and the sound.
But I will also be taking delivery this spring of a 992 C2 coupe, it is two very different cars, so if you can afford it I would recommend you to keep your 718 and get a 992 as an addition :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had considered the 992 (I even put the deposit on one) but in the end I went for a well specced, base Boxster.

The 992 seemed all together more serious - I’d be less willing to throw it around a bit, it felt larger (I live in London) and I prefer some of the traditional elements of the Boxster dash.

Driving wise - as the above comments say - they are different cars. I do find the Boxster to be more fun.

·
Read Only
37 Posts
I purchased a gts 4 months ago brilliant car very quick was a slightly pissed as the dealer didnt mention anything about tge 4.0 personally im beginning not to be bothered I didn’t pay brand new around 58k it is what it is at the end of the day i prefer turbo personally i still love the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
I was speaking to a pro competition suspension guy the other day and he asked me which 718 GTS I had, I said the turbo version, and he sad "good, the turbo cars are much better", although what he was referring to was the tuning potential. Regardless in terms of efficiency turbo engines are much better than NA engines and we have seen this in Formula 1 and most makes these days. IMO, the only reason to get the NA engine is if you prefer the sound and if you are a flat six NA fanatic.

I think because 718 GTS 2.5t has been prematurely discontinued it may now hold its value a little better once more general motor enthusiasts hit the market. Some people want the turbo!

We have an ex-pro Porsche Cup racer down here Peter Fitzgerald and what he drives these days is a tuned 718 Cayman S where he is lapping GT3s. He is a good driver though!

He is a bit like your Randy Pobst who likes turbo charged Volvos.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
... in terms of efficiency turbo engines are much better than NA engines and we have seen this in Formula 1 and most makes these days. IMO, the only reason to get the NA engine is if you prefer the sound and if you are a flat six NA fanatic.
This is part and parcel of why I giggle inside every time I hear, read, or otherwise have to be exposed to the drivel of NA Flat-6 Cult members.

Anyway ... I'm personally really getting sick of hearing the 'Porsche put the flat-6 in the 718 because of public outcry' statement. That is patently false, couldn't possibly be true logistically and economically, and is an oversimplification based exclusively on Pavlovian fantasies from the Cult mentioned above. Porsche planned it this way from the get-go of the 718's green light, folks. Stop drinking the frakking Kool-Aid every time it's shoved in front of you. Think about what you ingest, you know?

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Genuine question here... but can anyone confirm the 2.5L GTS is DISCONTINUED? As in 100% never again?

Or... Is it on lockdown for the time being to push the 4.0 sales? They need to recover the development dollars, and if there’s a cheaper, equally performing, but different sounding option.... well I know what I’d pick!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts