Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Genuine question here... but can anyone confirm the 2.5L GTS is DISCONTINUED? As in 100% never again?
Yeah, the 2.5l is gone from the GTS—Porsche doesn't even hint at having two different engines in the same trim.

My only question is whether the S will get the VTG turbo from the GTS? I'm guessing not, as that might make the difference in performance between the S and the GTS too small.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Yeah, the 2.5l is gone from the GTS—Porsche doesn't even hint at having two different engines in the same trim.

My only question is whether the S will get the VTG turbo from the GTS? I'm guessing not, as that might make the difference in performance between the S and the GTS too small.
You may be aware and only referring to the actual GTS Turbo. The S already has a VTG turbo, just slightly smaller.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Genuine question here... but can anyone confirm the 2.5L GTS is DISCONTINUED? As in 100% never again?
Thomas from Autogefühl said the GTS 2.5 will only have a small production overlap with the GTS 4.0 (was said in the GTS 4.0 review), and he normally has his fact right.
But whether it will be never again, well there might be a 718 GTS 2.5 electric variant at some point, I wonder how one would measure the capacity of an electric motor in litres :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thomas from Autogefühl said the GTS 2.5 will only have a small production overlap with the GTS 4.0
I think both are available in Europe Only
But whether it will be never again, well there might be a 718 GTS 2.5 electric variant at some point, I wonder how one would measure the capacity of an electric motor in litres :ROFLMAO:
But then the 718 GTS 4.0 electric variant would be the “turbo”, and the 718 GTS 2.5 electric would be the non-turbo.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is part and parcel of why I giggle inside every time I hear, read, or otherwise have to be exposed to the drivel of NA Flat-6 Cult members.

Anyway ... I'm personally really getting sick of hearing the 'Porsche put the flat-6 in the 718 because of public outcry' statement. That is patently false, couldn't possibly be true logistically and economically, and is an oversimplification based exclusively on Pavlovian fantasies from the Cult mentioned above. Porsche planned it this way from the get-go of the 718's green light, folks. Stop drinking the frakking Kool-Aid every time it's shoved in front of you. Think about what you ingest, you know?
My understanding was the 4.0 GTS cars became a reality once the planning for the new GT4 and Spyder started and they wanted a way to get that new motor into more cars (and thus subsidize it's production). It's not that I am doubting you I just haven't seen anything that explicitly said Porsche planned a 4.0 GTS to replace the 2.5 GTS right from the start.

·
Super Moderator
1,442 Posts
My understanding was the 4.0 GTS cars became a reality once the planning for the new GT4 and Spyder started and they wanted a way to get that new motor into more cars (and thus subsidize it's production). It's not that I am doubting you I just haven't seen anything that explicitly said Porsche planned a 4.0 GTS to replace the 2.5 GTS right from the start.
In essence, you are saying the same thing... The 4.0 was not a knee jerk reaction to the YouTube universal damnation ot the F4T, but rather a planned move to utilize the 4.0 where it would be profitable.

Does anyone know how the GT4 and the GT4Clubsport compare in terms of motor and suspension? I know that the Clubsport is an out and out racer, but is any technology trickling down?

·
Registered
392 Posts

Or... Is it on lockdown for the time being to push the 4.0 sales? They need to recover the development dollars, and if there’s a cheaper, equally performing, but different sounding option.... well I know what I’d pick!
Given that an S can be optioned very close to GTS spec (sans the obvious) I don't see it ever happening.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I realize that there are various models of the 718 and in typical Porsche arrangement, they are somewhat confusing (to me at least).
But if someone reads the comments above quickly, it might appear that the 2.5 engine is completely gone.
That would not be correct.
You can still buy a CaymanS with 2.5 liter 350 HP engine.
Just want to make that point.

2020 Cayman specs

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am wondering if Porsche are having trouble fitting a PDK onto the 4.0? In that they are having to engineer significant modifications.

The 4.0 is derived from the 992 engine so is it a longer engine than the older 3.8? There were murmerings prior to the 718 GT4 being released about not being able to fit the 4.0 PDK GT3 engine into the GT4 as it was too long.

The current 718 GT4 clubsport did not get the 4.0 engine as it needs to have PDK so got the old 3.8 engine which already had a suitable PDK gearbox from the 981 days. Why doesn't Porsche offer that PDK box for the 4.0?

Anyway seems odd that Porsche are so slow releasing a PDK box for the 4.0 718s given PDK sales still out sell manuals. I think a lot of people are holding off on GT4 purchases and presumably now the GTS based on the promise that they would be released with PDK.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I realize that there are various models of the 718 and in typical Porsche arrangement, they are somewhat confusing (to me at least).
But if someone reads the comments above quickly, it might appear that the 2.5 engine is completely gone.
That would not be correct.
Right. The T4 motor is and will remain the most popular choice in the 718 model. I bet the 718 GTS 4.0 base price will be north of US$85K and not available until 2021 as a manual. Very easy to get over a $100K with Porsche options. So the T4 will remain the “economical” choice.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am wondering if Porsche are having trouble fitting a PDK onto the 4.0? In that they are having to engineer significant modifications.

The 4.0 is derived from the 992 engine so is it a longer engine than the older 3.8? There were murmerings prior to the 718 GT4 being released about not being able to fit the 4.0 PDK GT3 engine into the GT4 as it was too long.

The current 718 GT4 clubsport did not get the 4.0 engine as it needs to have PDK so got the old 3.8 engine which already had a suitable PDK gearbox from the 981 days. Why doesn't Porsche offer that PDK box for the 4.0?

Anyway seems odd that Porsche are so slow releasing a PDK box for the 4.0 718s given PDK sales still out sell manuals. I think a lot of people are holding off on GT4 purchases and presumably now the GTS based on the promise that they would be released with PDK.
My understanding is that it is all about WLTP certification of the engine and gearbox. These things take time and the manual got preference and was possibly easier to certify due to the fact that combination had already been used in the GT4 and Spyder

However it worn't hurt Porsche sales to offer the GTS 4.0 in manual form first to satisfy the NA + manual purists; then once demand is filled slide in with the PDK gearbox to kick things off again. This is a simplification but I think you can figure out what I am trying to say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well with the 992 you won't be driving the stepchild in Porsche circles. You know. The "cheap" Porsche. If that is reality in the real World and if matters, I'd say go for it. You'll get the monkey off of you back and won't have to keep apologizing for owning a 4 cylinder Porsche facsimile.
So agree with you. I am new to Porsche. Have my new Boxter base and still have a Miata. Drive what excites you and not what excites others. If you can’t, then own them both?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts