Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
After a 987 and 981,I traded my 718S after a year for a 991.2S because of the engine (sorry, I know opinions vary) and because I couldn't get to the bottom of numerous albeit minor vibrations and rattles. As said by others, the 911 is a very different car, less sports, more grand tourer. The new 4.0 GTS really got me thinking but, because of this bloody virus and my depleted funds, I know I would lose even more than last time by trading again. So I've told myself that my 911 is superb, an icon and the pinnacle of my car ownership career. And I've convinced myself completely.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
As a 981 owner and now a 718B Boxster owner and 5 other Porsche cars in the last 6 years I was so disappointed when I learned they were planning on getting rid of Turbo. I love the 718 Turbo so much that I am now looking for other brands of cars with the Turbo. That low RPM torque is a must in any future car. Bye Buy Porsche for me.
You do realize that Porsche is not completely ditching the T4 motors, right? They'll be retained in the base, T, and S models for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just recently traded my 981 GTS for a 718 GT4. I looked at a 991 GT3 and also a 992S. I don’t do track driving and thought the GT3 was just too much for a road car, I never got it into the fun zone. I loved the interior of the 992 but it is a surprisingly big car and definitely more of a GT or daily driver for me. Dare I say not special enough Although I also have a new Macan for a daily driver so maybe that clouded my impression?
The one thing I do know is when I got back into my 981 afterwards I thought what a fantastic car it was and that I actually preferred it to both of the 911s I had driven. That’s what led me to buy the GT4, hopefully being just a little more than the GTS. Unfortunately I collected the GT4 the day the lockdown started in the UK so I haven’t driven it yet to comment further. In any event your question was 718 GTS or 992 and as people have said they are two very very different cars. Only you will know which one floats your boat better.
And finally a word of warning. I have on several occasions traded a car I loved for one that quickly disappointed me purely because I had the urge for change! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I traded a 991.2 Carrera T for a 718 GTS.

I'm much happier in the 718. Sound is uh...OK, but the car and the layout are just better than a newer 911 all day long.

The 911T is a beautifully made car with a terrific engine. I had a stick with the shorter sport shifter and 7-speed. The twin turbo 3 liter is a joy. The T comes with shorter gearing than the standard Carrera, which, I think, makes it a bit more fun. Mine had rear wheel steering which is also nice. The car could be seriously fast in certain situations, My car was almost perfectly equipped, which is why I went out and bought it right off the floor at my local. After trying to love this gorgeous thing for 4 months, I traded it for an older but technically "new" 718 GTS. I got a check back from the dealer...which I almost framed for my garage.

The 992 looks to be even more of a barge than the 991.2. It's got a very swoopy interior but it's a real big machine and even more of a grand-tourer. I've got a nice sedan that does that! I drive it to work every day. I don't want just a fancy car for weekends. I want a light-weight, corner-carving animal that I can also take a couple of road trips on every year....and a DE or two as well. This 718 GTS is that car.

It has everything...but I still think the sound and vibrations of it are not up to Porsche standards. I'm not sure what went wrong. I've had many great Euro 4-cylinder cars. They didn't make cheap noises and vibes like this car does.
When I learned that there was a "Soundaktor" installed in my GTS, I was just shocked and amazed that they'd want to make this drone worse with a special device. Instead of going to the 4.0L, Porsche should improve the character of this 2.5L It's a great motor otherwise.

So now, I too want to try a 4.0...just to find out if it has a better feel than my GTS. I don't like the idea of additional weight, but it's in exactly the right place on the car, so smoothness and better sound of the 4.0 might be worth it. I'm not crazy for lap times so long as the car feels neutral and good on track. The GTS is pretty great right out of the box, but it needs more camber, so I'm probably looking at GT3/GT4 adjustable LCAs for my car assuming I hold on to it.

It's almost too comfy to be a sports car...but it really has the bones and it's quick. The 911T was fast but just not so much fun...If I had never had an '06 Cayman S for 10 years with massive mods on it, I wouldn't be so spoiled!

:)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I also have some plan to change my car since my base cayman is almost 3 years old which I bought brand new.I have itention to move 992 base or 982 S. I take some notes to myself and put 2 cars with pros and cons so here it is with totally my view for these 2 cars.
992 base carrera
pros
Iconic 911 name
new beautiful design
good electronics
6 cylinder turbo engine
cons
expensive
4 seater
rear engine
too big
982 Cayman S
pros

great looker
Small and nimble
2 seater
go-kart feeling
mid-engine
more old school style then 992
nominee new icon for Porsche world
cons
Hm I really thought if I can find but nope nothing.Mabe I can say an image problem if you consider public comments ( you know that poor mans 911 subject)
I think you found your answer in your pros and cons. But, what you like will be what you like. Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess so. I was surprised at how civilised and GT-like the 992 was vs the Cayman. I had no intention of changing until Porsche announced this new NA GTS. Maybe I should ignore it and enjoy my turbo GTS for another while?
I have a 718 Boxster with 30,000 miles on it and in the future no turbo, no purchase for me. I hate to leave Porsche but I will, the low rpm torque is too much to give up in any new car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think you found your answer in your pros and cons. But, what you like will be what you like. Good luck.
Exactly I realize it after I had read it once again forum. The answer is obvious , 1 important think I am considering if there will be any cosmetic change in 982 would reveal soon in 2021 then I might consider this new version but I don't know if 982 will make an cosmetic update soon. I understand that in 2023 there will be a new version cayman will come out and we dont know anything about it yet ok. I get it, but what I like to learn if there will be any make up come to Caymans within this 3 years

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just do not understand how you see the difference in performance between 987 and 991.2s as they drive approximately the same for me. I did a test drive at all models you have mentioned and I can say for sure that all of them are good. Recently I did rent for a month in Ukraine a 991.2s from Rental Car in Odessa, Ukraine - Cheap & Best car hire | NarsCars and man, I can say that I do not see a huge difference between 991.2s and 981 in performance. Yes, they drive a bit differently and accelerate a bit differently, but other things they have a lot in common. I would suggest you to think a bit more before switching and if you consider buying another car model just go on a test drive or rent the car before buying. Good luck and stay safe!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts