Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the OEM black sport tips pre owned. Looking underneath, there is a metal band around each muffler that appears to need to be released or loosened. Does anyone have any DIY advice on swapping the tips?

I’ve done suspensions, brakes, exhaust and other things on Porsche’s and other makes, so this should be doable from underneath in my garage. But can’t find a written DIY.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just replaced the tip on my 2019 base Cayman (went with a Soul chrome tip set - VERY nice product). I lifted the rear of the vehicle - both sides. Remove driver side rear wheel. Loosen (but don't remove) two nuts at flanged coupling essentially behind the wheel (again, driver side only). Go to tip area - loosen band clamps around tips and crossover pipe (4 total) that "couple" the two exhausts sides together. Loosen band clamp around driver side muffler. Pull driver side exhaust to the side (you'll have to figure your own way to do this - I used a ratchet strap around the exhaust pipe; the strap was attached to an immovable object on the other side) - you don't want to over-torque / bend anything but you need to separate the left from the right enough to allow the tips to come clear of the two-side exhaust "sandwich". I loosened ONLY the driver side - you could do both sides (which means you'd only have to pull each side laterally half as much) but then you'd have "centering" issues and I found it unnecessary to touch the passenger side. Took me about 1.5 hours - could do it in an hour next time. My car had less than 100 miles on it so all of the fasteners were clean / easy to loosen. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so your results may vary. Good luck.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Curious- can't you just get the tips or do you have to buy the whole x pipe with it?

·
Super Moderator
1,778 Posts
Curious- can't you just get the tips or do you have to buy the whole x pipe with it?
The tips are welded onto the OEM assembly, IIRC, and the pipe diameter is different, too.

It's far easier to replace the entire assembly than just replace the tips. Besides: the OEM assembly is not designed for efficiency; it's designed for simplicity and long service life. An X-pipe helps even out flow and decreases potential backpressure issues that the straight connector pipe in the OEM assembly - the one that runs between the mufflers - can contribute to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry - should have posted this earlier with my other comments. For comparison - this is the OEM part on a base 718.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sorry - should have posted this earlier with my other comments. For comparison - this is the OEM part on a base 718.

LOL- no way to just add tips to that! :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
@mksz51 The chrome tips look great. Can you post a wider angle photo to show how they look with more of the car? I'm still deliberating between Soul and Fabspeed and then what finish.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just replaced the tip on my 2019 base Cayman (went with a Soul chrome tip set - VERY nice product). I lifted the rear of the vehicle - both sides. Remove driver side rear wheel. Loosen (but don't remove) two nuts at flanged coupling essentially behind the wheel (again, driver side only). Go to tip area - loosen band clamps around tips and crossover pipe (4 total) that "couple" the two exhausts sides together. Loosen band clamp around driver side muffler. Pull driver side exhaust to the side (you'll have to figure your own way to do this - I used a ratchet strap around the exhaust pipe; the strap was attached to an immovable object on the other side) - you don't want to over-torque / bend anything but you need to separate the left from the right enough to allow the tips to come clear of the two-side exhaust "sandwich". I loosened ONLY the driver side - you could do both sides (which means you'd only have to pull each side laterally half as much) but then you'd have "centering" issues and I found it unnecessary to touch the passenger side. Took me about 1.5 hours - could do it in an hour next time. My car had less than 100 miles on it so all of the fasteners were clean / easy to loosen. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so your results may vary. Good luck.

Thanks a million! Doing it this weekend!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
@mksz51 The chrome tips look great. Can you post a wider angle photo to show how they look with more of the car? I'm still deliberating between Soul and Fabspeed and then what finish.

Thanks a lot
Here you go. I went through the same decisions - was thinking black but there's nothing "black" on my car (had a C7 Corvette with black wheels and I'm "over" that look and the brake dust showing). At the end I chose the double wall chrome tips and I'm really happy I did. Really a nice product at what I thought was a reasonable price point.

·
Registered
224 Posts
@mksz51 - Thanks for posting the extra photos. The chrome double wall tips look great on your car.

·
892 Posts
@ HULKED : Although not many, we do have a few ladies on the forum & I'd personally like to retain them. I know Porsche2018 has already suggested this, but seeing as it clearly fell upon deaf ears, I'll ask more directly. Please would you consider changing your tasteless avatar to something more appropriate?

·
Registered
434 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts