Porsche 718 Forum banner

What DD tires do you like on your GTS4.0/GT4/Spyder?

• Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 N0

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new BGTS came with Pirellis and they seem OK. They rate comparatively poorly on Tire Rack and the car isn't broken in yet, so I can't say how they handle at the limit. But they seem comfortable (softish) and fairly communicative. I guess I'll switch to MPS4s when these wear out, but what (if any) is the difference between N0 and N1? The PS4s were great on my 993, but I had 3 tread edge separations on the PS4s on my wife's CLA 45 AMG. What gives?

·
Registered
2.0 Cayman PDK
158 Posts
Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) N1 should be better than the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) N0, but they have nothing to do with any other N0.

N1 Pirelli’s could be orders of magnitude worse than Michelins’ first release (N0), for example.

If Pirelli release the PZ5, they’ll go back to an N0 Porsche rating, assuming they pass certification.

My hard-earned Pounds would go on the Michelin PS-4S (which mustn’t be confused with their PS4 tire).

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
820 Posts
I don't think many people would have had a chance to try more than one of the above on these cars yet, so comparisons are pretty much meaningless. I suspect that you will get over 90% Michelin, just on previous experience and/or general reputation, but that isn't what you are asking.

Also, I believe the GT4 and Spyder come with Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

N0, N1 merely means the edition of a particular tire. One would generally assume that N1 tires were developed to improve the existing N0 tire.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
No experience on this platform, but since you asked about separation, I will say that I've worked through a few sets of the PS4S and not experienced any issue like that.

Also, just to be clear, the PS4 is a different tire. I've never been that impressed by the PS4. The PS4S, on the other hand, is very special tire IMO. I'm a huge fan.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No experience on this platform, but since you asked about separation, I will say that I've worked through a few sets of the PS4S and not experienced any issue like that.

Also, just to be clear, the PS4 is a different tire. I've never been that impressed by the PS4. The PS4S, on the other hand, is very special tire IMO. I'm a huge fan.
Wow! Thank you.
Clearly I haven't been paying close enough attention.
Please straighten me out.
Which Michelin's do we like and which do we not like?
Super Sport, PS2, PS4, PS4S, Cup 2, Cup 2 Connect

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
Wow! Thank you.
Clearly I haven't been paying close enough attention.
Please straighten me out.
Which Michelin's do we like and which do we not like?
Super Sport, PS2, PS4, PS4S, Cup 2, Cup 2 Connect
To @OttawaSteve's point earlier, it will be interesting to hear what other people say about these tires on the 718 platform. From your list, I've used PSS, PS2, PS4, PS4S, Cup (ok, not actually on your list :)), and Cup 2's on a bunch of different RWD and AWD cars from BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Ferrari. I've never had any negative experiences.

The tires that really have stood out for me, though, are the PS4S, Cup and Cup 2. Personally I would trust them on any car and on any track. They have great feel. Easy to work with. Consistent. High levels of dry grip (some of the highest that you can get for a tire with street legal grooves). Downsides for me have been wet performance that maybe isn't the absolute best, even in the PS4S. When I ran the Cups regularly I would keep a set of wet wheels with Corsas. I didn't feel the need to do that anymore with the Cup 2's. The Cups didn't have great wet performance.

The Cup and Cup 2's dont' work very well at less than 5C and are, IMO, dangerous at less than -5C, even perfectly dry.

I did 350 miles in the last few days on the Cup 2's on a Spyder at ambient temps ranging from 15C to 21C* and I felt I could lean hard on them. So far as great as I have come to expect.

* I did not measure tire temps at all.

EDIT: I see you were asking about DD tires. I would not run Cup 2's on a DD.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am perfectly happy with either Michelin or Pirelli tyres, I know a lot of people really knock the Pirelli tyres but I have never personally had an bad experience with them especially on a DD. They must be doing something good as they have been used in F1 may times over many years past and present and that can only transfer down to road tyres...
I agree with @nova996 about the cup2 tyres, not very good in wet conditions and terrible in cold conditions, but then they were not primarily designed to be used in wet and cold conditions, the PS4S is really good!
I think Michelin use a slightly stiffer side wall compared to Pirelli so this will possibly translate to better steering feel when you are pushing hard but for a DD I don't think you will notice any difference in performance

Having said all this if I could choose what tyres my GTS would have fitted it would be PS4S, but that's down to the tyre lottery

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had the luxury of comparing a PS4S shod GTS with my Pirelli-wearing T; the Michelins gave much greater feel and therefore confidence, especially in the wet. Honestly the Pirelli have plenty of grip when warm and dry but cold and damp is exactly when you need that feel the most.

I was not especially happy that my own GTS arrived a few months later with P Zeros. I don’t commute in the car it’s just for fun, so for me it will be Michelins once the current tyres are worn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts