Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Speaking of winter air, I hope all of you in Houston,@DriveInHouston and everyone else, since there are quite a few Texas residents here, are doing okay and didn't suffer too badly from the power loss and cold weather.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Speaking of winter air, I hope all of you in Houston,@DriveInHouston and everyone else, since there are quite a few Texas residents here, are doing okay and didn't suffer too badly from the power loss and cold weather.
The understatement of the year is to say it was an experience!

Thank you Jim for your good thoughts.

We lost power at 0230 Monday morning, we were losing 1F in temperature every hour... We had gas, but no electricity, so no heat (needs electricity for the forced air fan and the electronic controls), but we could cook on the stovetop and our gas hot water heaters did not miss a beat!

We tried the gas fireplace with the chimney open and decided it was purely decorative. It was pushing more hot air up the chimney than the air it was warming up in the room. I could run it with the chimney closed for a while, but had no CO detector operating on batteries (we have one on each floor, but they operate with the home power.

By bedtime (actually 1030,because no TV) the temperature in the bedroom was a frisky 39F :eek::oops:

It took two blankets, a comforter, ski underwear and fleece to make it (actually warm enough).

35 hours later (1300) we got power for 2 hours, good enough to bring the house to the 60s (F). All the while they talked about rolling blackouts but then they gave up and said whoever has electricity, keeps it... the rest of you are screwed!

I can't believe that if they couldn't maintain rolling blackouts, they didn't go to 'rolling lightups' i.e give power for 2 hour rolling intervals,so people could warm up their homes, cook and have a shower. Our son lives in an All Electric townhome and had cold meals for 3 days.

...then the water pressure went south... and then Ted Cruz went south... and they told us to boil the water (the ones that had gas kitchens)... and we were taking bets on how many hours it would take to give us instructions on which rock to wash our clothes on...:p

Gov. Abbot had the gall to tell us that it was the fault of the reliance on wind power generation, because the windmills froze. Actually this was the first of many lies, because the most capacity lost was lost by gas powered plants because they froze. The reality is that Texas chose decades ago to have a separate electric grid from the rest of the US and could not get power from the other 47 continental states. The story is that they did it to avoid Federal Oversight on Interstate Commerce. We could buy power from Mexico (they have done it in the past) who knows why they didn't do it.

Windmills and gas fired plants operate in Canada in much worse conditions. It is a matter of specification... our facilities had the El Cheapo Special specs. To invest as little as possible and keep electricity prices low.

So, we got what we paid for...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yow, @DriveInHouston and everyone else, you had a rough time. News reports weren't what you'd call rosey but it's always worse for the people in it than for those who read about it.

Not meaning to be political here, but it is true that neither wind power or solar power is susceptible to cold if done right. Here in the northeast we have both and very cold weather, and it all keeps running just fine.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Not meaning to be political here, but it is true that neither wind power or solar power is susceptible to cold if done right. Here in the northeast we have both and very cold weather, and it all keeps running just fine.
There is nothing political about engineering specifications.

In my career I have seen things done cheaply and things done right. BY THE SAME COMPANY. In the end, the cheap thing ended up an order of magnitude more costly and counting... The thing that was done right proved to be a great asset for the next 20 years.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts