Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
With the Pirelli’s I put them at 2bar Front and 1.9 rear before warm up, when warm they are at 2.5 and never had strange or uneven Wear.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thanks @CupraLeon you are about .1 bar higher across the board than I, a mere novice comparatively, have been running on my few track excursions. The senior track instructor during a brief inspection once told me after I was black flagged for managing to get all four tires off the track that he didn't see any wear on the tread sides so I should consider reducing my pressure a pound. But I like the grip I was getting at my slower pace and after my first-year service (after four track days), was told my tires are wearing perfectly even.

Reactions: CupraLeon

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
It'll depend on the tire, the track, and the ambient conditions. For example, I'm running 18" RE-71Rs at 26 PSI hot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
holy crap 26 hot?? I have 18 RE71Rs as well and I run them about 34 hot. . .26 seems **** low to me. I'm not saying you're wrong or i'm right. Just i'm shocked at the difference. how did you come up with that number? are you rolling over a lot being so low?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Yeah, I started running at 32 PSI hot but just wasn't getting the grip I expected when autocrossing, so I experimented and dropped them way down to 26. Et voila, I took 0.7s off my run time (~35s course). I ran that pressure at two back-to-back track days at Thunderhill and didn't have any significant problems with the tires rolling over, at least judging from the scuff marks. (This is with only -1.5° camber.) I might bump it up a little in the front, just to keep the scuffing confined to half of the sidewall triangles, but the handling was wonderful. For example, I could perfectly balance the car on the throttle through Turn 2 on the 3-mile track (a long 180-degree turn).

Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I haven't experimented much with track pressures but sounds like I might be running a bit high.

I did try running the front at slightly lower pressure 2-3 psi (29psi cold, similar to GT4 spec) to improve front grip and reduce understeer, but what I found is the car became a little unbalanced and produced occassional over-steer.

I pumped the front back up so that the pressures were all the same (probably 35 psi hot) and the over-steer disappeard. I'm running 245 front and 295 rear tires.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 2018 718B recommends 32 psi all the way around on stock tires, but I've found that summers in NJ where I've tracked my car require me to start with 30 psi so that by the time my 20-minute session is over, I come in with pressures around 38-40psi, and that's driving fairly hard. I've tried dropping the pressures again before the next session and that helps to keep things relatively cool, but later in the day, you will run low when returning to the hotel or dinner and will have to reinflate for normal driving.

Reactions: DriveInHouston
1 - 8 of 8 Posts