Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just brought my baby home. It’s a used 2017 with 17k miles. I had the dealer (bmw) put new rear tires on and now I have the warning light and warning message to go into settings to change this.

I can’t find this anywhere other than online and doing it through the key on key off stuff. I’m okay to do this (I’m used to clearing codes) but should this be done through the actual settings? BMW was useless I had to show them that the wing goes up and down 🤦🏻‍♂️

can you guys help. New Porsche guy but old school car guy

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I am not trying to be a douch, but it is all in the manual.
It is easer since there is alot of menys and at least i cant remember them all :)
And depending on the fault you need to know the rim size and/or tire pressure

·
Registered
598 Posts
Scroll to the TPMS display. Press to get to the reset menu. Make sure the correct tire type is selected and hit enter. It will give u a message saying it cannot operate until u drive it awhile. Drive it over 15 MPH a bit and it resets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scroll to the TPMS display. Press to get to the reset menu. Make sure the correct tire type is selected and hit enter. It will give u a message saying it cannot operate until u drive it awhile. Drive it over 15 MPH a bit and it resets.
What am I missing 😫 when I go to the tpms menu it just gives me the option to switch between psi. im so confused

but I love this car

·
Registered
598 Posts
What am I missing 😫 when I go to the tpms menu it just gives me the option to switch between psi. im so confused

but I love this car
This is what we did on wife's Macan. When we changed the tire type the system reset itself. If it's currently on the correct tire type we changed it to the wrong one and then change back.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I must admit I find the TPMS really irritating on the track as its always going crazy after letting air out of the tires. I ignore and it settles down after I pump the tires back up but I must work out how to reset it so it doesn't complain!

Otherwise on the road it is really useful if you get a flat tire or a good indication of tire temperature.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It really is helpful to alert you to a puncture. However it can also be annoying when the alert is caused by your TPMS sensors being miscalibrated. For example, if you set your car to 33psi in all tires, and then drive off, and get a warning that your tires are 32 psi. The warning continues to pop up and preempt your display every few minutes.

So, you could set your pressure a bit higher... but then why should you need to? In our cars, we have the option of a “comfort” setting which changes the alert to 30 psi. I use a good tire gauge to set my cold pressure to 33psi, and then choose “comfort” for the alert. That way, I only get the alert if I really have a problem.

Cap

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I had met with such a problem I simply solved it with the help of my friends, I will ask them how they have made it. Additional: I have asked them and they told me that they reset it with Thinkdiag, as I understood it's an automatic diagnostic device, they simply connected it to my car, and from the app, they reset all the problems that have been in my car. I think that if you don't have another option then you can also make so and simply buy it, it's not very expensive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i tried this procedure several times on a 718 boxster s. didn't work. i prolly didn't read the steps well enough but here's what i did to make this work.
Turn the ignition on with the car having sat for a while, don't start the engine or move it. The TPMS should show blank pressure. i tried this when i'd been driving and there was existing pressure showing--didn't work. with the ignition on, engine off, scroll to TPMS screen (again, should show no pressure readings). Click on the screen to get to the load, tire type menu. select a tire type different than the one there originally. wait a little while, 1-2 mn, then reselect the proper tire type for your tires/car. return one screen to the one showing the blank pressures. start the engine and drive over 15 mph for a while. took me about 2 mn, i've read where it took some 5 mn. good luck.
the key for me was to begin the process cold--with no pressures indicated. when i tried after driving, when pressures were showing, didn't work.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i tried this procedure several times on a 718 boxster s. didn't work. i prolly didn't read the steps well enough but here's what i did to make this work.
Turn the ignition on with the car having sat for a while, don't start the engine or move it. The TPMS should show blank pressure. i tried this when i'd been driving and there was existing pressure showing--didn't work. with the ignition on, engine off, scroll to TPMS screen (again, should show no pressure readings). Click on the screen to get to the load, tire type menu. select a tire type different than the one there originally. wait a little while, 1-2 mn, then reselect the proper tire type for your tires/car. return one screen to the one showing the blank pressures. start the engine and drive over 15 mph for a while. took me about 2 mn, i've read where it took some 5 mn. good luck.
the key for me was to begin the process cold--with no pressures indicated. when i tried after driving, when pressures were showing, didn't work.
The low air warning had been popping up every 10 minutes or so since the car had ~300 miles. Needless to say, this was quite distracting at COTA everytime the warning chime sounded. Figured it was a bad set of TPMS sensors, which I planned to have that corrected with some other warranty items in 9 days.

Turns out they weren't defective...your process worked like a charm.

Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
didn't know how to do this last trip to COTA either. since i had dropped the pressures at the track, i expected the light and just ignored it. recently, car seemed to be very stiff. in 100 degree weather, the pressures were up to the point of being noticeably stiff. that started me trying to get this process to work.
i was beginning to this Porsche had some minimum pressure programmed in, and why i couldn't get it to work. glad to help. bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts