Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchasing tire/wheel protection plan from the dealer for my new 718BS. Cost is $1695 for 3 years or $1995 for 5 years, which covers flats, wheels, road rash, and small dent removal. I have never purchased a plan like this and wonder whether it has any value. I know Porsche wheels are expensive, and nice to have tire protection given there is no spare, and tires are not run flat. On the other hand I had a 2013 BS and never really had a problem with tires and rims. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I am generally opposed to any of the protection plans offered and over the many years and over a million miles of car ownership (only one Porsche) I never needed them. Porsche would only sell these plans if it was a better deal for them than for the consumer, just a business reality. Now are there going to be members that have profited from the protection plan? Unquestionably but they would have to be in the minority or Porsche wouldn't offer it. I rather self insure and keep the money and if I have a flat/road rash/dent address it myself.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As @Porsche2018 said, it is insurance and, as such, it has a negative expectation value. So if you can afford to “ self-insure” you should. Only you can assess how comfortable you are with that.

You are also the only one that knows your track record and and how much you are willing to fight with the insurer to get paid off. Pretty sure if they can get away without paying, they will. To get some things covered to your satisfaction may be an argument.

I, personally, never bother with stuff like this. I’d rather take the risk and pay out of pocket. If paying out of pocket is going to be a problem, you might decide differently.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your responses. All your input very much appreciated. Since I have not purchased this insurance on any previous vehicles, no point in starting now. Business manager was very low key trying to sell me the protection, but actually I was chatting with the mechanic at the Porsche dealership who mentioned I should purchase the protection. I didn't think he had an angle trying to sell me the protection, so it got me thinking. I am big on self insuring, and agree that is a much better way to go.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks all for your responses. All your input very much appreciated. Since I have not purchased this insurance on any previous vehicles, no point in starting now. Business manager was very low key trying to sell me the protection, but actually I was chatting with the mechanic at the Porsche dealership who mentioned I should purchase the protection. I didn't think he had an angle trying to sell me the protection, so it got me thinking. I am big on self insuring, and agree that is a much better way to go.

I did not get the tire / wheel when we bought my wife’s Boxster with standard 18” wheels. It is her daily driver and she has picked up one nail so far. I tried to plug the tire but it would not hold air and I had to buy a new tire. When I ordered our GTS I bought the five year plan. I hope I don’t need it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
usually I don't buy this type of additional insurance, but my GF busted up a couple wheels on her MB on potholes in the Pittsburgh area. So I did get it for this car. especially with the 20s and 35 series tires.
My DD is a SVT Raptor and you look for potholes to bounce through with that. there are plenty around to choose from.

Reactions: Viffermike

·
Registered
388 Posts
I got a nail in my rear tire the other day, mind you my car has 4k miles on it. Porsche will not patch or plug an N Spec tire. Porsche will only replace tires. That being said, a rear tire is about $450 installed. Had I known you can't patch a Porsche tire, I would of bought the wheel and tire warranty =(
Don't listen to Porsche 2018, he simply hates anything a dealer has to sell to him, with the exception of the car =)

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Don't listen to Porsche 2018, he simply hates anything a dealer has to sell to him, with the exception of the car =)
I am opposed to all warranties and that has worked pretty well my entire life*. My feeling is if you need a warranty to feel comfortable about a product your buying then your buying the wrong product. To be clear, the OP was asking for opinions and there is an operating assumption I go on, and that is, we as intelligent people elicit feedback then each of us make decisions that are consistent with our own values and principles.

*I am speaking as a consumer/Porsche owner and not as a "moderator".

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
usually I don't buy this type of additional insurance, but my GF busted up a couple wheels on her MB on potholes in the Pittsburgh area. So I did get it for this car. especially with the 20s and 35 series tires.
My DD is a SVT Raptor and you look for potholes to bounce through with that. there are plenty around to choose from.
Interesting.....this clearly would mitigate my thoughts on the tire protection plan, i.e. if you live in pot hole central.;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got a nail in my rear tire the other day, mind you my car has 4k miles on it. Porsche will not patch or plug an N Spec tire. Porsche will only replace tires. That being said, a rear tire is about $450 installed. Had I known you can't patch a Porsche tire, I would of bought the wheel and tire warranty =(
That is about the same mileage my wife had on her rear tire. I have plugged half a dozen tires before and did the same thing with her tire. I’m still not sure why it did not hold air. I looked at it after the dealer pulled it off and still could not figure out why it did not hold air. I checked the price of the Porsche spec NO tire with Tire Rack and it was expensive. The dealer quoted me $280.00 installed and balanced so I jumped on it. You can take it to a another tire dealer to have it plugged, patched and balanced since the Porsche dealer won’t do it. Check to see another dealer will do it for less.

·
Registered
2019 718S
18 Posts
I live in area with lots of potholes and lots of fabulous windy two-lane so I purchased the tire/rim warranty mostly for the rims.
Question... Do I have to purchase all my tires through dealership for coverage?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Considering purchasing tire/wheel protection plan from the dealer for my new 718BS. Cost is $1695 for 3 years or $1995 for 5 years, which covers flats, wheels, road rash, and small dent removal. I have never purchased a plan like this and wonder whether it has any value. I know Porsche wheels are expensive, and nice to have tire protection given there is no spare, and tires are not run flat. On the other hand I had a 2013 BS and never really had a problem with tires and rims. Any thoughts?
I purchased it on my 2017 718 base and was the best thing I have done. I hit a block of wood on the highway, destroyed the wheel and tire. $2800 and they paid all. Had some curb rash on both right rims, repaired cost $600 paid 100%. I didn't know it would replace a tire but if you get a nail in a tire, they will give you a new tire unless over I think 50% of tread is gone. Not sure on the percentage. I guess another factor would be how much do you drive a year but I sure will get it on any new car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you are planning on 18” wheels then maybe not necessary, but on 20” with low profile tires, I would opt for it. After a year and a half riding on 20” Carrera S wheels, I’ve had one bent rim and replaced 4 damaged tires. The policy has nearly paid for itself for me and I still have 3.5 years of coverage left. Also, I did not pay full price either.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I live in area with lots of potholes and lots of fabulous windy two-lane so I purchased the tire/rim warranty mostly for the rims.
Question... Do I have to purchase all my tires through dealership for coverage?
If it is an aftermarket tire and wheel warranty like mine (which was sold through the dealership), no. As long as I get pre-approval I can get the work done anywhere. Check the policy to be sure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have it and used to a few times for tires. If you live in the NE and use as a DD then it makes sense to get it.

Rippey

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased the warranty because I feared daily driving in San Francisco (crappy pot-holed roads) on 20" rims would bend a rim or two. So far, I've had a nail in my tire replaced under warranty. The warranty only works at a Porsche dealership (I could be wrong, but that's what the sales guys said) and there is a $50 deductible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts