Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and that's my first post! pleasure to meet you all in advance.

I live in Dubai and I've tracked my car twice already. I really feel like taking it to the track more frequently and now i'm thinking to invest in a new set of tires for track only. My current stock tires are the GoodYear Eagle F1.

I've looked everywhere for the Michelin Cup 2 tires and I can't find the sizes for my car.
My 718 GTS has the following specs: 235-35-20 ; 265-35-20.

So since i can't find the Cup 2, my second option is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which are widely available.

What do you guys think? Should I buy them for track only and keep my Good year Eagle F1 for everyday use until they're worn out?

Appreciate your input.
Thanks.
Moe

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Are you thinking of mounting the PS4S on the same wheels for every track session, then swapping them back for road use? It would seem easier, and not as hard on the rims, to buy some wheels, perhaps 19" or whatever size the Cup2's come in.

Reactions: RotorOver

·
Registered
462 Posts
^ agreed with Jim. If you are going to track more and want a dedicated set of tires then you should get a second set of wheels and fit the cup2 or other track tires on them so you can swap between track wheels/tires and street wheels/tires.

While the mps4s are better overall tires than the F1’s, they are are still street tires and will not stand up to continued tracking nor give you the ultimate grip of track tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@gatorfast @jimmuller Thanks for your answers guys, yes you are right. It would be ideal to get tires 235-35-19 and 265-35-19, with their set of 19" wheels for track only. I think i can find Cup 2 with those specs. But will it be okay to change the tires to size 19 ?
For the wheels, i really don't know where to look.. Any recommendation for a decent set, not very expensive and could be available online with shipping options to Dubai?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have no idea how things are in Dubai, nor how informed tire dealers might be. Both 19" and 18" are Porsche options for the 718, and N-rated tires are appropriately formed to their specs with the stock sizes. You could log into TireRack to see what is available. There are Porsche-spec aftermarket wheels. When I bought winter tires and wheels the tire dealer ordered something that looks to have come from TireRack. They work well.

Reactions: moemoghrabi

·
Registered
14 Posts
Moe: i formerly lived in Abu Dhabi, so hello to you. i am in the same situation and here is my story/solution. i took my car 2018 cayman s to the track and absolutely burned up the Goodyear Eagle tires up. when i exchanged them, the tire guy told me that "obviously the Goodyear tires were not intended for what i did to them!" the treads had rolled into the grooves and there were pieces everywhere.
the solution: you can buy Porsche approved "N" Michelin Sport Cup 2 in 265/35/20 for the rear-no problem. for the front, you can use Cup 2 in 245/35/20. these are a bit wider than the 235 but will work. you may get a little rubbing when you turn the tires all the way right or left. but this is not a big problem as you rarely turn them this far, and only for a short time. enjoy your car.
l used Michelin PS4S on an Audi that i tracked. while they are excellent tires, the Cup 2 are much, much better for track use. bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've used Cup2 and PS4S in the past in the M3. I would say Cup2 > PS4S > (by a good margin) Goodyear. The PS4S will be ok on track but won't hold up as well as the Cup2.

·
Registered
20 Posts
235/35 and 265/35 are the wrong sizes for a 19" wheel, 1" less, but it will lower the gearing so slightly helping acceleration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really did not like the goodyear f1 tires that came in mine stock. I do a lot of autocross and have done some track in the past. I use 255/35r19 front and 285/35r19 for the rear. Currently on my 3rd set of that size and just ordered another. The extra size is great for autocross but to each their own. These will be my last set of Bridgestone RE71r tires as they are discontinued so I'll be looking for something later this year to replace them. I might size up to 265/295. Or 265/305 if I can find a good set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really did not like the goodyear f1 tires that came in mine stock. I do a lot of autocross and have done some track in the past. I use 255/35r19 front and 285/35r19 for the rear. Currently on my 3rd set of that size and just ordered another. The extra size is great for autocross but to each their own. These will be my last set of Bridgestone RE71r tires as they are discontinued so I'll be looking for something later this year to replace them. I might size up to 265/295. Or 265/305 if I can find a good set.
Hey! Yes the F1 aren't the best, I tracked the car twice with them and i already feel them worn out on the street now.
I'm still confused on which tire sizes to buy for track use, 245/35/19 and 275/35/19 (with new set of wheels) 'or 255/35r19 front and 285/35r19 as you mentioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Michelin PS4S are always a great bang for the buck. Yes they are more expensive but they wear very well. If the RE71rs doesn't come state side this year I'll probably go with the Yoko A052 but that will require 20" wheels. I'll be doing 255/285 with those. I feel a big difference between stock sizes and what I use currently. 235/265 vs 255/285. I know other 718 drivers who have gone 265/305 with a little bit of front rub on hard cornering, rears seem fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Michelin PS4S are always a great bang for the buck. Yes they are more expensive but they wear very well. If the RE71rs doesn't come state side this year I'll probably go with the Yoko A052 but that will require 20" wheels. I'll be doing 255/285 with those. I feel a big difference between stock sizes and what I use currently. 235/265 vs 255/285. I know other 718 drivers who have gone 265/305 with a little bit of front rub on hard cornering, rears seem fine.
Thanks for the reply man.
I can't find RE71rs and Yoko A052 here in Dubai. PS4S (N0) are widely available specially in 235/265 20".
I tried to reach Porsche here to ask if i can increase my tire sizes, will it affect warranty, everyday driving etc but they didn't get back to me yet.
What is the difference you felt when you went for 255/285? No issues for the car ? warranty? are you using those sizes for track only or street as well?
I'm starting to think now to go for PS4S for both track and street with original 20" wheels. I will track the car 5 times a year maybe.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm starting to think now to go for PS4S for both track and street with original 20" wheels. I will track the car 5 times a year maybe.
Be aware, the PS4S isn't going to hold up that well to that much track usage, particularly with the high ambient temps in Dubai. The tires will likely start to "chunk" from being overheated, so don't be surprised if you go through two or even three sets of tires per year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as a warranty goes, I'm in the US so the rules are different. They can't void a warranty on any part unless they can prove the non porsche part caused the damage. I have no idea what the laws are abroad. Porsche will always say don't modify the car from factory.

As long as you keep the same ratio between front and back within 1 or 2% then no ice mode with the PSM.

I drive to and from the events on the 255/285 set with no problems then at home switch to my daily set. For my daily set I run 235/275 and very happy with the larger rear size. I'll do a 255/285 change for daily once these wear out.

PS4S are great value for what you are getting. Yes there are better options but you have to balance how much you are willing to pay, amount of grip you want, and number of times a year you are going to track it. If money was no object get Hoosiers. But that's a different arguement.

I will probably do 30 autocross events this year and expect to go through 1.5 sets of tires using them for only to and from and the event. I place in the top 5 in almost all events.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts