Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Just placed a deposit on a 77kWh Cupra Born this week. Delivery is expected by September-October this year. We'll see if they are able to comply with that.
We'll have the entire summer to decide which car to get rid of, whether the Miata or the Opel.

Thanks for you insights on the matter.
Congrats. I looked at those as well.
They look good!

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
580 Posts
For what it’s worth, I am in no way even thinking about an EV at this time.
I have worked long and hard enough to finally enjoy my dream car without anyone then telling me I should not.
this sounds harsh for some maybe, but I brought my 718 petrol farting and belching machine to enjoy and not to feel guilty In any shape or form - and I do not.
please do not get me wrong, anyone wants an EV please feel free to indulge, most of my friends already have but as mentioned, this not an option for me.
the 718 EV suggested May wet my appetite and for sure, given the opportunity I would definitely have a look at it but certainly at the moment it’s a thanks but no.
best wishes all.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
A consumer using a gasoline powered car has no impact on the environment. One commercial truck has 40x on average more pollutants than one passenger car. Industry has much worse numbers. I remember one observation that the cargo ship carrying vehicles from Asia to the USA will pollute more in their complete voyage than all of the vehicles they are carrying in their normal lifespan. There might be some exaggeration or not all with that. If you understood what they are allowed to burn, this isn’t that silly of a comparison or tidbit. Industry and coal plants and excavation and all of that is the cause of death of environment. Also, the new mining and manufacturing of vehicles. Ev’s exist to get subsidies and for the crap quality control companies and China to make money selling them.

there should be a tax on Chevrolet, Nissan, Volkswagen, Hyundai forcausing the necessity of creating new vehicles. Porsche 718 and 911 are thankfully not VW’s. Toyota and Honda should be exempt from environmental propaganda crap.

a prius would probably be the environmentally conscious person, reliable, long life span, low fuel. Ugly as poop but whatever.

just please no woke sjw virtue signaling on a Porsche forum.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Really?? You mean the ones charged exclusively by burning hydrocarbons? Not sure I agree with you.
100% new car EV in the near future is likely impossible. Western US states already have fewer gas stations than the number of EV charging stations the US government wants. Combine that with EV charging taking longer than filling a gas tank- and you have a massive back up.

In this case, perfect (and EV's are far from perfect) is the enemy of good (hybrid).

Reality. Not bureaucrat dreams. But then again some folks believe government never puts a foot wrong. I'll refer them to the Fed.

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
185 Posts
Really?? You mean the ones charged exclusively by burning hydrocarbons? Not sure I agree with you.
It's not my opinion to agree or disagree with, it's the math. I'm posting this Tedx link simply because it gets to the point fast, but there are many studies on the subject that confirm this. It basically comes down to battery size(s) vs distances covered. Skip to about 7min if you're impatient.

But basically, the carbon cost of producing a small battery to operate at low speeds where ICE are inefficient pollutes less than a 100% EV with a 400 mile range. As a matter of fact, you would have to drive the vehicle 450,000 miles before a 400 mile range 100% EV breaks even with a hybrid.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's not my opinion to agree or disagree with, it's the math. I'm posting this Tedx link simply because it gets to the point fast, but there are many studies on the subject that confirm this. It basically comes down to battery size(s) vs distances covered. Skip to about 7min if you're impatient.

But basically, the carbon cost of producing a small battery to operate at low speeds where ICE are inefficient pollutes less than a 100% EV with a 400 mile range. As a matter of fact, you would have to drive the vehicle 450,000 miles before a 400 mile range 100% EV breaks even with a hybrid.

I assume you’re talking about ‘self charging’ 😂 - hybrids, not PHEVs?

So let’s assume my only reason for enjoying my EV is the smug virtuous feeling of saving the planet, maybe you’re right (you’re not).

My EV costs me £2 (maybe 3 dollars) for 160 miles in winter and £0 between April and August via Solar. In Europe the proportion of renewably generated electricity is growing exponentially(ish). Even if EVs are no better environmentally they are saving me a LOT of money. EVs are absolutely not a silver bullet but to rail so blindly against them quoting a 2 year old YouTube video by an EV supporter who is actually arguing for more renewable energy to try to put them down is futile. I could link lots of contrary YouTube videos but what’s the point. If you don’t want one, don’t get one but why so much vitriolic hostility? Live and let live.

Good luck with the future………..

·
Registered
166 Posts
100% new car EV in the near future is likely impossible. Western US states already have fewer gas stations than the number of EV charging stations the US government wants. Combine that with EV charging taking longer than filling a gas tank- and you have a massive back up.

In this case, perfect (and EV's are far from perfect) is the enemy of good (hybrid).

Reality. Not bureaucrat dreams. But then again some folks believe government never puts a foot wrong. I'll refer them to the Fed.
Sorry, I don’t understand your response. el-jefe likes it so that’s reassuring.

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
185 Posts

So let’s assume my only reason for enjoying my EV is the smug virtuous feeling of saving the planet, maybe you’re right (you’re not).

My EV costs me £2 (maybe 3 dollars) for 160 miles in winter and £0 between April and August via Solar. In Europe the proportion of renewably generated electricity is growing exponentially(ish). Even if EVs are no better environmentally they are saving me a LOT of money. EVs are absolutely not a silver bullet but to rail so blindly against them quoting a 2 year old YouTube video by an EV supporter who is actually arguing for more renewable energy to try to put them down is futile. I could link lots of contrary YouTube videos but what’s the point. If you don’t want one, don’t get one but why so much vitriolic hostility? Live and let live.

Why do I feel you never watched to the end? No one rallied against EV - I certainly was not vitriolic. I'm not sure I understand the anger. The important thing to do is compare apples to apples in range. Don't compare a 125 mile range EV to a 400 mile range ICE. If you compare correctly you'll see how much hybrid currently makes sense.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why do I feel you never watched to the end? No one rallied against EV - I certainly was not vitriolic. I'm not sure I understand the anger. The important thing to do is compare apples to apples in range. Don't compare a 125 mile range EV to a 400 mile range ICE. If you compare correctly you'll see how much hybrid currently makes sense.
‘Compare correctly’, I assume that means on your terms? Why, What’s range got to do with it? As Tina Turner once said…..

I’m definitely not angry, more sad. My problem is the need to constantly put things down. If you don’t like them or want one that’s fine, they’re great for some people so let’s move on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I watched this video about 6 months ago but I have re-watched it to ensure I hadn’t misunderstood. I understand your take on it but his key points to me are twofold:

1) irrespective of motive power source (electric, hybrid, hydrogen, synthetic fuel) we are going to need a LOT more renewable energy to produce it. That should be the focus for all countries, it will give us options. The Oil companies won’t like it, which is a bonus….

2) motive power source should meet the needs placed upon it (there is currently no ‘one size’ fits all) I have a light EV with a small (40 kWh) battery for short local trips. I have a large Petrol / electric PHEV for long trips and towing my trailer. I have a petrol powered 718 for fun / road trips. I have a methanol powered single seater for competition. They are all completely different but well suited to their purpose. If I had to choose one today I’d go PHEV but they’re all flawed.

Use your own judgement, there is no absolute right or wrong, live and let live……

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
185 Posts
‘Compare correctly’, I assume that means on your terms? Why, What’s range got to do with it? As Tina Turner once said…..

I’m definitely not angry, more sad. My problem is the need to constantly put things down. If you don’t like them or want one that’s fine, they’re great for some people so let’s move on.
I’m a big fan of EVs and have no clue how you read so much in to a simply interesting and (what I thought to be) informative comment.

·
Registered
101 Posts
FWIW, the Computer crowd (PC Magazine) view, & current 2022 US practical experience
Electric vs. Hybrid vs. Gas: Which One Saves the Most Money? | PCMag
Relevant for people who road trip regularly I guess. My neighbors have just around 10k miles on their Model 3 and have never supercharged with it. 4 cents per kWh off peak charging and 4ish miles per kWh means they pay next to nothing for their daily commute. Just come out to a full battery every day, drive to and from work cheap, no stopping for gas every week. Their Model Y is their road trip vehicle and it's supercharged a few times but the rates here are cheaper than CA I guess.

·
Registered
678 Posts
What's up with those supercharger prices in the US?
Last summer, on my trip to France, I paid €66.69 using Tesla supercharges.
The summer before that I paid €270 for gas. Same trip.
With the current gas prices, it will be around €350.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
504 Posts

You might want to temper your smug virtuous feeling just a bit.....

I few of my annual golfing buddies are environmental scientists, engineers and partners at a consulting firm that specializes in nuclear engineering, as well as solar/wind renewable energy. Bill Gates with Terrapower is a typical client. So here's what our post 36 holes Friday night discussion included a few weeks ago: First, in 50%+ of the US, your EV is being powered by electricity generated by burning fossil fuels. Second, the environmental impact of lithium mining and refining makes uranium mining and refining look like Betty Crocker baking a cake. Third, the future disposal and recycling of spent lithium batteries, along with all of the other by products of EV batteries, makes Yuca Mountain for spent nuclear fuel look like a walk in the park.

I am NOT suggesting that EV isn't environmentally preferable to ICE or hybrids. But I think the smug virtuosity of some EV proponents conveniently forgets - or is ignorant of - other environmentally damaging issues that my golfing buddies are trying to solve.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts