Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to this Forum. And I know this is 718 Territory, but folks here seem to know their stuff. I have never owned a Porsche but will soon. I've been a BMW M Series guy for years, making the switch. My heart is on a 718 S (GTS better yet) but I found a 2016 981, No SC, PASM, Sport Exhaust etc and with 30K miles for ONLY $30K. Too good to be true, right? Well, it has a Salvaged Title. Dealer claims no structural damage, just replaced bumper. I need someone's wisdom here. I ran a Car Fax, Autonet research on it. Kinda Confusing...Salvaged, rebuild Title but no damage reported. Airbags not deployed, etc. Run away? Or is this sorta thing over-lookable. Car looks to be perfect shape. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replaced bumper won't drive a "salvage title". Damage had to be much greater.

There's a saying about if something seems too good to be true...................

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed. 49 years old, and I don't even know what Salvaged title means. Feel like an idiot. Anything but a clean title is a Scarlett letter?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
How much money do you have to throw at it when you start finding issues? This is a Porsche, which means most everything is very expensive!😞
I'd personally pass but I also tend to be cautious.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Agreed. 49 years old, and I don't even know what Salvaged title means. Feel like an idiot. Anything but a clean title is a Scarlett letter?
I have always found, sometimes the hard way, that buying quality, is cost effective in the long run. Buy cheap and buy twice. A salvage title means the quality in that 981 is gone.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Might have been flooded, which could result in a salvage title. In which case, there are likely electrical issues abound, and possibly mold.

In any case, I personally would not do a salvaged title Porsche, unless I were planning a complete restore, or perhaps building it into a dedicated track car

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. Thanks for your input. My dreams are slowely dieing. For the price I could almost fix it of course depending on the damage. It's 17 less than blue book. I wish I just don't know how insurance and vehicle registration looks upon selvedge titles. Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
The car is probably fine but it will always be worth a lot less and always be very difficult to sell on later (unless someone wants a track car). If you have the money paying more will give you peace of mind but you will also get much if not all of the extra cash you put in back at the other end. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts