Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this week’s Top Gear, Chris Harris brought in a 718 Cayman S to briefly compare it to the new Alpine A-110, which is also a mid-engine rear drive sports car. He noted the problem with Alpine is it has a cheaper interior but costs as much as a 718 Caymans S. When he lined the Alpine up against the 718CS for a drag race, he says something like, “Why do we always compare sports cars to the Cayman? Because it’s still the best thing out there.” The camera pulls back to see the two cars launch and the 718CS spank the Alpine on the ¼ mile race. Later, the Stig takes the Alpine to set a lap time on the Top Gear test track which, again, the Apline places lower than the recently tested 718 CS. For the money, you still can’t beat the Cayman. Also, (and SPOILERS if you’ve not seen it)......... you stand a lower risk of catching fire in a Cayman.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In this week’s Top Gear, Chris Harris brought in a 718 Cayman S to briefly compare it to the new Alpine A-110, which is also a mid-engine rear drive sports car. He noted the problem with Alpine is it has a cheaper interior but costs as much as a 718 Caymans S. When he lined the Alpine up against the 718CS for a drag race, he says something like, “Why do we always compare sports cars to the Cayman? Because it’s still the best thing out there.” The camera pulls back to see the two cars launch and the 718CS spank the Alpine on the ¼ mile race. Later, the Stig takes the Alpine to set a lap time on the Top Gear test track which, again, the Apline places lower than the recently tested 718 CS. For the money, you still can’t beat the Cayman. Also, (and SPOILERS if you’ve not seen it)......... you stand a lower risk of catching fire in a Cayman.

This is a very interesting comparaison. I couldn't find the Article/video. Can you post it? Many thanks!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
This is a very interesting comparaison. I couldn't find the Article/video. Can you post it? Many thanks!!
It is interesting, although possibly slightly unfair as I understand Alpine are targeting the base 718 Cayman with this car and that a more powerful S version [which would target the 718 Cayman S] is also planned. Plus speed/power aren't everything and reviews so far have been very complimentary, with the general trend being "the Cayman is great, but if it was my money..."

As a long time Renault fan, and owner of a Megane RS265 Cup, I am very interested in the new A110. The original is seared into my memory banks - my Dad used to race and rally Renaults and the original A110 is a true motorsport icon.

I registered my interest in the new version with Renault NZ but am not holding out much hope that they will make it to our shores. Make no mistake though Renaultsport and, as an extension of that Alpine, make great cars that are all about the chassis and handling, a trait they share with Porsche and other manufacturers such as Lotus.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Reactions: R Doug

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think the new one is gorgeous, but even if I could buy it (alas, it will not come to America), I wouldn't because, you know, no stick. Still, I would like to be able to view one in the sheet metal.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I watched this episode last night. It was a good show. I've already read and watched other videos on the Alpine A110 in the past. It seems nice! I also agree with Chris NZ above about why they compared it to a Cayman S, when the power to weight ratio clearly stacks up directly against a Base Cayman 718 with PDK (the Alpine is yet to offer a manual option). I was yelling at my TV last night, thankfully my wife already knows I'm nuts!

·
Registered
179 Posts
It doesn't have the practicality of the Porsche, and almost certainly doesn't have the build quality. It also doesn't look very nice IMO - the old one was better, but still not very good. I can see no excuse for building a two seater sports car which doesn't look good. But the Porsche also misses a trick or two here. The most disappointing thing about the 718 is the fact that you can't see the engine. If you look at most Italian mid-engine cars the engine is almost a focal point of the whole car. You open up the rear hatch and there's this jewel of an engine with gleaming manifolds and such like. I know that flat engines don't really look very good but I'd still like to have seen the 718 look a bit more like the 918 with the cabin chopped off behind the driver (and a vertical reflex curve window like the Dino) plus a ventilated engine hatch and then a separate boot at the back. This is what most Ferraris have (and was successfully copied by the Toyota MR2 MkII). I like a bit of mechanical bling.

BTW, the new Top Gear is an absolute crock. The so-called car reviews tell you nothing about the cars and the presenters are all completely unencumbered by personality or charisma. ANd who on Earth at the BBC decided that Matt "le Blanc" was a suitable main presenter for their flagship (and only) car show. Dire stuff.

·
Registered
304 Posts
BTW, the new Top Gear is an absolute crock. The so-called car reviews tell you nothing about the cars and the presenters are all completely unencumbered by personality or charisma. And who on Earth at the BBC decided that Matt "le Blanc" was a suitable main presenter for their flagship (and only) car show. Dire stuff.
This 100%

1 - 13 of 13 Posts