Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my BS for a few weeks now and was thinking to get a quart of oil in case I need to top off sometime.

I think my adviser said the car came with 0-40, but I see that it can also take 5-40 and 5-50.

What should I use to top off given the moderate San Francisco Bay Area climate? I don't think I'd take this car to the mountains in the winter though could go to the desert some time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm also in the Bay Area. My SA (Porsche of Walnut Creek) is active in local PCA incl. club racing at Thunderhill, he said Mobil1 0W-40 as per Porsche, fwiw.

You're the first other manual Boxster S I've seen here from Bay Area.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also in the Bay Area. My SA (Porsche of Walnut Creek) is active in local PCA incl. club racing at Thunderhill, he said Mobil1 0W-40 as per Porsche, fwiw.

Cool, thanks. Yeah... I had to order mine as there we're so few manuals of anything available... I love it, btw. I've only got about 300 miles on the car but the shifter is already starting to break in a bit and it has a great feel!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Cool, thanks. Yeah... I had to order mine as there we're so few manuals of anything available... I love it, btw. I've only got about 300 miles on the car but the shifter is already starting to break in a bit and it has a great feel!
Agreed, in searching inventories all over Calif. (yes I was prepared to drive to SoCal for the right car) it seemed that manuals were far more rare than the 20% Porsche quotes. I think Americans favor automatics more than ROW.

I found the clutch plate a bit sticky at first....had to feather out the clutch pedal without *any* throttle else it would tend to grab and balk. I thought maybe that was just the effect of 309 lb./ft. of torque. But with some miles (at 2200 now) and a little slipping of the clutch plate, just the normal stuff on hills, it has loosened up nicely and is just as compliant and pleasant as the clutch on my 987.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Many thanks for the oil information, and for your other insights in the thread about the clutch.

I also looked for a manual 718 in the Bay Area (and in the whole state), and the few that were available were either Dealer demo or launch cars. I finally had to order a manual Boxster (base), which should arrive in Jan 2018. Almost all base 718s are PDK, at least in the western USA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts