Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in towing my cayman places to drive around maybe once or twice a year, such as Tail of the Dragon, but I don’t want to put the miles on the car getting it there. I was entertaining renting a U-Haul trailer to tow the car there with my wife’s SUV, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this to offer tips or suggestions, or any other ideas to allow me to do this type of thing. Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Towing your Porsche is a great idea.

I've got a low mileage 2021 Porsche that I don't drive very much. Like you, I'm thinking about preserving it with low mileage. I also have a swimming pool I don't use very much. I was thinking that I might drain the pool, wrap my Porsche in shrink wrap plastic, lowering it into the pool, and filling it up with dirt. Then I could dig it up in about 50 years and I suspect it would be worth a fortune.

I'm 77 years old. Do you think I've waited too late or will advances in medicine make it possible for me to enjoy the car at 127 years old?

Clothing Jeans Hairstyle Muscle Beard

·
Registered
2017 718 Cayman S
604 Posts
Well, other than using 2x4’s to help load your Porsche on the trailer (the ramp angle’s steep) it’s not any different trailering a Porsche than it is any other car. Just make sure you have a tow hitch on the wife’s SUV that’s sufficiently rated to handle the weight of the car + trailer.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've towed a 2013 Audi RS5 on one of those trailers. I didn't have any problems with clearance getting it on the ramps, but I did have to screw a couple pieces of 3/4" OSB together and put them under the front tires in the loaded position. I had to do this because the front lip of the bumper wouldn't clear the raised portion on the front of the trailer. I imagine the Cayman would have a similar problem.

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
372 Posts
Pretty easy to use a Uhaul car carrier. I have used it twice, oddly enough both times on a A6 body. (loaner A6 while RS6 was in the shop and I was moving.....)

1. MAKE SURE THE FRIGGEN TIRES ARE OK ON IT FIRST. When I was moving and we driven about 1/2 way we lost a tire on the trailer. Fortunately I had another driver with me to drive the A6 the rest of the way.
2. Yes, you'll need to use a few blocks to get the angle right. My RS6 was lowered (about 4 inches of clearance) and getting it on the trailer required some help from some blocks of wood.

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Towing your Porsche is a great idea.

I've got a low mileage 2021 Porsche that I don't drive very much. Like you, I'm thinking about preserving it with low mileage. I also have a swimming pool I don't use very much. I was thinking that I might drain the pool, wrap my Porsche in shrink wrap plastic, lowering it into the pool, and filling it up with dirt. Then I could dig it up in about 50 years and I suspect it would be worth a fortune.

I'm 77 years old. Do you think I've waited too late or will advances in medicine make it possible for me to enjoy the car at 127 years old?

View attachment 41296
You may be too old for that now. Therefore, I recommend surrendering immediately to a cryogenics lab before your impending doom becomes irreversible. Just ensure they won't use your head as a makeshift baseball and please give my best to Ted.

Reactions: nova996

·
Registered
92 Posts
The UHaul trailer is around 2300 lbs, and your car is around 3100 lbs, that's a decent class 3 load, what are you towing with? My wife has an Explorer with a towing package, and it's rated for 5000 lbs. Chances are you're going to need a body on frame SUV to tow the Cayman on a trailer.

Back when I was involved in racing, we did a lot of towing. When we got a new car or trailer, we always had to do some adjusting on the car, trailer, and the tow rig to get where it was comfortable to drive. Race cars are a little trickier to deal with because of their lowness, but I would expect needing to make some adjustments with the car position on the trailer and the tiedowns before you'll feel comfortable with the setup. Remember, if the car gets loose you're already in a three vehicle accident even if you don't involve anyone else.

Where will you be unloading the trailer? We were going to a race track, so there was always a spot for us to unload. You need a space about four vehicles long to unload, will there be such a space where you're going? You'll need a place two spaces long to park the tow vehicle and the trailer. Our races were over a Saturday and Sunday, and we always tried to get the car unloaded on Friday so we could leave the trailer at the track. Going to the hotel and finding a place to eat while towing a trailer is annoying.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a lot of effort to avoid driving your car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When bringing the Cayman home from the dealer on a borrowed race car trailer, I had to put 2x12s under the ramps.
Then jacked the trailer up as high as it would go with the lift on the front of the trailer.
This also jacked up the rear of the truck.
Then used a winch to load the car so I could watch the front spoiler to make sure it cleared. (PASM+ -20)
No problems after that.
Not a Uhaul trailer though.

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster S, 2007 Cayman
167 Posts
I bought my Cayman from Georgia 6 years ago, so rented a U-haul trailer and towed it home. I drove it home to Florida 7 hour drive with my BMW X5 and did not even notice the trailer/porsche behind it. It was smooth and effortless. Towing capacity is 6600 lbs, So it was just under 6000lbs combined. The reason I towed it, is because i was not sure I would make the deal and did not want to get hotel, flight etc...
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
153 Posts
For the "maybe buying it" case, I see that.

For getting to fun drives, not really.
Would rather take a couple of extra hours and go off-interstate to get there.

Preserving it, may be hard to do with a 3,000lb car ON a 2,000lb (?) trailer towed by a 4,000lb SUV/truck IF there's a need to swerve at 60mph on the interstate.

Not tow-shy myself. Just that it's not that much fun. ONCE towed a VW bus on trailer with a Golf GTI - once.
It worked, but got a few long looks from LEO .. back in UK 20+ years ago.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really don't get the reluctance of driving a car to save the mileage...I bought mine to drive it. If you bought it to sit in a showroom garage or something, maybe as a collector, then I suppose that makes sense. Otherwise, drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
2017 Sapphire Blue Cayman S
29 Posts
Lot of people in this thread ripping on a guy that doesn't want to drive a sports car cross country.....but the reality is, he's got the right idea. First, you rack up a TON of dead bugs and debris that really suck to get off. Second, our cars don't have a spare tire and the sidewall is minimal to the point that if you're driving on unfamiliar roads for hours on end the likelihood you hit something and get a blowout is actually pretty high. Then you'll be towing the car anyway except the person towing it isn't likely to be as careful as you. And if you're planning on bringing any sort of baggage or gear with you, the space in a larger car is certainly a real treat as well.

So if you're planning to drive 800+ miles, trailering the car isn't such a bad deal. :)

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
Lot of people in this thread ripping on a guy that doesn't want to drive a sports car cross country.....but the reality is, he's got the right idea. First, you rack up a TON of dead bugs and debris that really suck to get off. Second, our cars don't have a spare tire and the sidewall is minimal to the point that if you're driving on unfamiliar roads for hours on end the likelihood you hit something and get a blowout is actually pretty high. Then you'll be towing the car anyway except the person towing it isn't likely to be as careful as you. And if you're planning on bringing any sort of baggage or gear with you, the space in a larger car is certainly a real treat as well.

So if you're planning to drive 800+ miles, trailering the car isn't such a bad deal. :)
Yeah, I think you have a good point. I rarely drive very long distances, but when I have, I’ve experienced things like being stuck in a small city on a weekend struggling to find someone to patch a tire because how can you get a PZero in the right size on a weekend in a small town. Or even within a few days. Or I’ve totally lost a windshield on another trip. Or I’ve had to get a tow truck to take us 60 miles to a Mercedes dealer once.

I get your point.

·
Registered
718 GTS 2019
201 Posts
Quite the range of opinions and thoughts. All I can add, is in a prior iteration I had a 981 Cayman that I want to take to other states and participate in track days & other HPDE events, in this particular instance Denver, Colorado to Inde Motorsports outside Wilcox, Arizona. The last time I did this, had to arrange to ship via FEDEX the track tires and wheels to the Inde track, and rely on the kindness of strangers for ancillary support (jacks etc.) or find a local tire shop to arrange (can get complicated) the tire & wheel swaps and then ship the track tires/equipment etc. back to Colorado. A trailer would have been a lot simpler. OTOH, the drive if one elects to get off taking the I25 / I10 interstate routes, particularly through the northern reaches of New Mexico can be spectacular.

Before the 981, I had a 987 Caymen which came equipped with factory roof mounting hard points, and had a custom roof rack fabricated for the Porsche roof rails to carry four track tire/wheels. The wheel wells in the roof carry position would hold spare brake pads, helmet etc. The additional air drag with the wheels mounted on the roof were hard on gas milage however :)

Either way, running tires appropriate to time, place & purposes can take planning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts