Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered installation of a roll bar in their Cayman for track days?

I've done a lot of track time over a good number of years.
My cars, while street legal, have always been fully prepped for track with half cages, racing buckets, full harness etc.

My Cayman is more of a dual purpose car for me.
I'm cutting back on track days somewhat and really want to have a nice street car that's suitable for some touring.
I don't have the carbon buckets so harnesses are not possible.
I do use a Simpson Hybrid Hans device with the 3 point belts/

I'm considering a half cage to add some roll over protection.
I know this is a halfway measure and am waffling back and forth whether to proceed or not.
I've seen what cars look like after rollover on track and its not pretty.
I'm just not sure whether I'm actually providing more safety without also doing seats and harness.

:unsure:

·
Vendor
301 Posts
I'm considering a half cage to add some roll over protection.
I know this is a halfway measure and am waffling back and forth whether to proceed or not.
I've seen what cars look like after rollover on track and its not pretty.
I'm just not sure whether I'm actually providing more safety without also doing seats and harness.

:unsure:
From a chassis stiffening perspective the roll bar is pretty much a waste. However from a trackday safety standpoint it's a good call. Dual purpose cars are tough!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also use my '18 718C for daily driving and track days (26 and counting since I got the car). The way the seat belt hit me when I was on track wasn't amazing, so I went all in with seats, harnesses, and a half cage. I've only done one short day since I got this set up, so I can provide more info after my next couple of days. Overall I'm glad I did it. The road driving experience is not compromised with this, even sitting on the lower buckle. (My last event was a 3+ hour drive away, gave me lots of seat time getting to the track.)

Installed by Cantrell Motorsports and pics posted at the Facebook link above. They did an awesome job. The seats are way more comfortable than my OE 14-way seats that the dealer ordered on this car.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I also use my '18 718C for daily driving and track days (26 and counting since I got the car). The way the seat belt hit me when I was on track wasn't amazing, so I went all in with seats, harnesses, and a half cage. I've only done one short day since I got this set up, so I can provide more info after my next couple of days. Overall I'm glad I did it. The road driving experience is not compromised with this, even sitting on the lower buckle. (My last event was a 3+ hour drive away, gave me lots of seat time getting to the track.)

Installed by Cantrell Motorsports and pics posted at the Facebook link above. They did an awesome job. The seats are way more comfortable than my OE 14-way seats that the dealer ordered on this car.
Looks great!

Did you lose the seat airbags?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
..........so I went all in with seats, harnesses, and a half cage. ...........
The seats are way more comfortable than my OE 14-way seats that the dealer ordered on this car.
Fantastic setup!!
This is exactly the feedback I was looking for.

If you can provide a little more info on the seats, it would be appreciated.
  • The model of the Recaros.
  • How Cantrell dealt with airbag warnings.
    -did they use some sort of emulator that plugs into the seat harness
    - code them out etc
    I still want the airbags to be functional for street use with the 3pt harness
  • Did the Recaros mount to the OE rails or did they use an aftermarket seat mount & slider rails.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fantastic setup!!
This is exactly the feedback I was looking for.

If you can provide a little more info on the seats, it would be appreciated.
  • The model of the Recaros.
  • How Cantrell dealt with airbag warnings.
    -did they use some sort of emulator that plugs into the seat harness
    - code them out etc
    I still want the airbags to be functional for street use with the 3pt harness
  • Did the Recaros mount to the OE rails or did they use an aftermarket seat mount & slider rails.
Here you go:
  • Recaro Sportster GTs - black leather. They have red and blue as an option if you want to add some color.
  • I had them get the internal electronic/weight sensors so that the airbags still work. It's wired like the OEM seat would be. One option can be to take those things from the OEM seats and put them into the Recaros. I opted to buy a different set so if I ever sell my car, I can easily swap the OEM seats back in and keep my Recaros. They did have to take it to the local Porsche dealer to finish the coding.
  • The seats don't have airbags. The remainder of the airbags are still functioning.
  • I had to get new rails for the seats to mount to, I don't know which ones they got.
  • The seats can mount lower than the OEM seats, if headroom is an issue for you at all.
  • The Recaros do not come with the bottom pass through - that was done at Cantrell.
  • They are way more comfortable than the 14-way seats. I already have several friends who are tempted to go the same route (or have offered to buy mine should I ever decide to get rid of them.) Most people who have seen it think the seats are OEM seats.
Let me know if you have any more questions!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Half Roll Bar Cage Comparison/Sugestions? Cayman 981, 982/718 S GTS GT4

I'm looking at getting a race bucket seat, probably Recaro Profi SPG and 6 point harness for track days so also looking at roll bar options to mount the harness.

The bucket seats obviously don't have airbags (nor do the Porsche fixed buckets) so I will switch off the side air bag some how.

silvia718 Just wondering above if you used resistors or if they coded them out for you? I know the Recaro Sportster seats can come with side airbags but they are still a bit wide for me.

Just wondering if anyone else has done any research or installs. I've also be advised to order a "raw" bar if possible.

These are the options I've found:

1. Cantrell Motorsports Roll Bar (as above) - CrMo 1.75″ x .095″, 35lbs, $2500
    No rear cross bar but has a single angled bar instead so better visibility and engine access.

2. BBI Street Cup Roll bar - 4130 CrMo , $2295
    Similar to Cantrell but has true cross bar so strongest bar? I believe the cross bar can easily be removed for engine access and to improve visibility for street use?

3. Heigo Clubsport Roll bar - CrMo 1.5" x .098, 33lbs, $1195
    Best value roll bar, no visibility obstruction, no cross bar but has V shape instead, looks like it could be more easily removed to access engine.
    Harness bar is a little high so would need seperate harness attachments.

4. Competition Motor Sport (CMS) Performance Roll bar - 4130 CrMo 1.75 x .095", $2594
    Comes with Pre-cut trim +$299, no cutting of carpet.
    Good visibility and engine access
    No cross bar extra vertical angled bars behind seat.
  5. Streetfighter LA Roll Cage - 4130 CrMo 1.75" x .095, 37lbs, $1750
    Full X-brace, front bar mounts to floor/seat belt points (only cutting of rear strut towers)
    Harness bar looks to high so would need seperate harness attachments.

6. Team BBG Roll Cage - 1.5" x .095, $2245
    No cross bar, front bar mounts to floor/seat belt points (only cutting of rear strut towers)

7. Cayman GMG LMS Harness/Rollbar- 4130 CrMo, $2295
    Angled bar instead of cross bar, front bar mounts to floor/seat belt points (only cutting of rear strut towers), harness bar looks a little higher.

8. DeMan Motorsport Bolt-in Roll Cage & Harness Bar - ?CrMo, $?
    Angled bar instead of cross bar, harness bar height mounted relatively low. Looks like the Cantrel one.

9. AGI Cayman Half Roll Cage - 350 MPA CDW Mild Steel - ~ $1200
    6 to 7week lead time so can be customised to order.
    Motor Sport (CAMS) approved (Australian equivalent to FIA)
    Includes diagonal cross brace with gusset plate for increased strength as per motor sport requirements.
    Optional single diagonal brace - subtract $105.
    Price includes optional 6 x billet connectors like BBI to eliminate bolts (subtract $250 without)
    Is floor mount so requires cutting floor carpet and drilling through frame.
    Harness height looks ok as shown below. Photo on website is bolted model, see photos below for other details including billet connector.

10. For seperate harness mount I've found this
    Brey Krause Harness Mount $210, or

BR Racing seem to have mounts that drill into the engine fire wall

RSS Harness Bar (offers some roll over protection) - $1195
Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or experience!

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
silvia718 Just wondering above if you used resistors or if they coded them out for you? I know the Recaro Sportster seats can come with side airbags but they are still a bit wide for me.
My Recaros didn’t come with side airbags. Cantrell coded out the non-existent air bags for me (they took it to the dealer nearby, the manager at Cantrell used to be the service manager at the local dealer). I also had them get another set of all of the weight sensors etc for the Recaros so not everything had to be coded. This makes it easy to swap my OEM seats back in whenever I decide to sell the car.

Now that I’ve had a season on this set up, I can’t recommend it enough. Vast improvement over the OEM seats and 3-points.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My Recaros didn’t come with side airbags. Cantrell coded out the non-existent air bags for me (they took it to the dealer nearby, the manager at Cantrell used to be the service manager at the local dealer). I also had them get another set of all of the weight sensors etc for the Recaros so not everything had to be coded. This makes it easy to swap my OEM seats back in whenever I decide to sell the car.

Now that I’ve had a season on this set up, I can’t recommend it enough. Vast improvement over the OEM seats and 3-points.
Thanks, this is useful information. I hadn't thought about the occupancy sensors but did come across this issue earlier today when reading another thread.

Do you have any deatails on the weight sensors, where you get them and from who?

Good to get confirmation that the airbag can be coded out. I think some dealers are reluctant to do but don't some Porsche Carbon bucket seats also omit the side airbag? At least some of them don't look like they have an airbag moduule, unless it is stitched into the seat?

For example, I've noticed on these types of Porsche seats the side airbag module is no where to be seen: Sale 918 Spyder Carbon Bucket seats - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
But this one I can see it clearly in the side: Porsche GT2 Carbon Fiber Bucket seats - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

What I'm figuring if the side airbags are an option anyway on some seats then it should not be an issue not having that option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have any details on the weight sensors, where you get them and from who?
I don't, I dropped my car off at Cantrell and they took care of it all for me. I see you're not in the US, but I'm sure if you email them (Cantrell Motorsports <[email protected]>) they'll be happy to point you in a good direction for obtaining those items. As a side note - it looks like you are considering their roll bar/cage - that's what I have and it's been great. The visibility is good and it hasn't impeded any of my space needs.

Regarding the side airbags - I think there used to be a carbon bucket option from Porsche that didn't have the side airbags (I want to say they were available in the 987 Cayman R) but once side airbags became a requirement in the US they didn't sell them here, they may still option them in Europe and other countries though. And if it is, then the dealer shouldn't have any issue coding out the side airbags for after market seats.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't, I dropped my car off at Cantrell and they took care of it all for me. I see you're not in the US, but I'm sure if you email them (Cantrell Motorsports <[email protected]>) they'll be happy to point you in a good direction for obtaining those items. As a side note - it looks like you are considering their roll bar/cage - that's what I have and it's been great. The visibility is good and it hasn't impeded any of my space needs.

Regarding the side airbags - I think there used to be a carbon bucket option from Porsche that didn't have the side airbags (I want to say they were available in the 987 Cayman R) but once side airbags became a requirement in the US they didn't sell them here, they may still option them in Europe and other countries though. And if it is, then the dealer shouldn't have any issue coding out the side airbags for after market seats.

I hope that helps! Good luck!
I'm back investigating the Recaro Sportster seats again with the side airbag option as it doesn't seem to cost too much extra.

I notice the airbag protrudes quite a bit. Any idea whether the recaro seat with the side airbag option will actually fit and plug into our wiring harness? Really hard to get info on this stuff. Local supplier says the seat wont fit at all!

I did email Cantrell but no reply.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts