Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered installation of a roll bar in their Cayman for track days?

I've done a lot of track time over a good number of years.
My cars, while street legal, have always been fully prepped for track with half cages, racing buckets, full harness etc.

My Cayman is more of a dual purpose car for me.
I'm cutting back on track days somewhat and really want to have a nice street car that's suitable for some touring.
I don't have the carbon buckets so harnesses are not possible.
I do use a Simpson Hybrid Hans device with the 3 point belts/

I'm considering a half cage to add some roll over protection.
I know this is a halfway measure and am waffling back and forth whether to proceed or not.
I've seen what cars look like after rollover on track and its not pretty.
I'm just not sure whether I'm actually providing more safety without also doing seats and harness.

:unsure:

·
Vendor
191 Posts
I'm considering a half cage to add some roll over protection.
I know this is a halfway measure and am waffling back and forth whether to proceed or not.
I've seen what cars look like after rollover on track and its not pretty.
I'm just not sure whether I'm actually providing more safety without also doing seats and harness.

:unsure:
From a chassis stiffening perspective the roll bar is pretty much a waste. However from a trackday safety standpoint it's a good call. Dual purpose cars are tough!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also use my '18 718C for daily driving and track days (26 and counting since I got the car). The way the seat belt hit me when I was on track wasn't amazing, so I went all in with seats, harnesses, and a half cage. I've only done one short day since I got this set up, so I can provide more info after my next couple of days. Overall I'm glad I did it. The road driving experience is not compromised with this, even sitting on the lower buckle. (My last event was a 3+ hour drive away, gave me lots of seat time getting to the track.)

Installed by Cantrell Motorsports and pics posted at the Facebook link above. They did an awesome job. The seats are way more comfortable than my OE 14-way seats that the dealer ordered on this car.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I also use my '18 718C for daily driving and track days (26 and counting since I got the car). The way the seat belt hit me when I was on track wasn't amazing, so I went all in with seats, harnesses, and a half cage. I've only done one short day since I got this set up, so I can provide more info after my next couple of days. Overall I'm glad I did it. The road driving experience is not compromised with this, even sitting on the lower buckle. (My last event was a 3+ hour drive away, gave me lots of seat time getting to the track.)

Installed by Cantrell Motorsports and pics posted at the Facebook link above. They did an awesome job. The seats are way more comfortable than my OE 14-way seats that the dealer ordered on this car.
Looks great!

Did you lose the seat airbags?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
..........so I went all in with seats, harnesses, and a half cage. ...........
The seats are way more comfortable than my OE 14-way seats that the dealer ordered on this car.
Fantastic setup!!
This is exactly the feedback I was looking for.

If you can provide a little more info on the seats, it would be appreciated.
  • The model of the Recaros.
  • How Cantrell dealt with airbag warnings.
    -did they use some sort of emulator that plugs into the seat harness
    - code them out etc
    I still want the airbags to be functional for street use with the 3pt harness
  • Did the Recaros mount to the OE rails or did they use an aftermarket seat mount & slider rails.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fantastic setup!!
This is exactly the feedback I was looking for.

If you can provide a little more info on the seats, it would be appreciated.
  • The model of the Recaros.
  • How Cantrell dealt with airbag warnings.
    -did they use some sort of emulator that plugs into the seat harness
    - code them out etc
    I still want the airbags to be functional for street use with the 3pt harness
  • Did the Recaros mount to the OE rails or did they use an aftermarket seat mount & slider rails.
Here you go:
  • Recaro Sportster GTs - black leather. They have red and blue as an option if you want to add some color.
  • I had them get the internal electronic/weight sensors so that the airbags still work. It's wired like the OEM seat would be. One option can be to take those things from the OEM seats and put them into the Recaros. I opted to buy a different set so if I ever sell my car, I can easily swap the OEM seats back in and keep my Recaros. They did have to take it to the local Porsche dealer to finish the coding.
  • The seats don't have airbags. The remainder of the airbags are still functioning.
  • I had to get new rails for the seats to mount to, I don't know which ones they got.
  • The seats can mount lower than the OEM seats, if headroom is an issue for you at all.
  • The Recaros do not come with the bottom pass through - that was done at Cantrell.
  • They are way more comfortable than the 14-way seats. I already have several friends who are tempted to go the same route (or have offered to buy mine should I ever decide to get rid of them.) Most people who have seen it think the seats are OEM seats.
Let me know if you have any more questions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts