Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 718 owner, previous owner of 986S.

Wondering if anyone has been on track with their 718 yet? Interested to hear comments on the difference in power delivery from previous generations.

I have noticed on the street that getting on throttle mid corner results in rotation of the car. I think this is due to the new rear end from the GT4 or inside rear brake being applied by PSM. I do not have torque vectoring or any other magic on my car.

Thanks,

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome to the forums, what do you mean by "rotation of the car"? Like the back end slides out, or the body roll pushes it off a bit?

·
Registered
211 Posts
New 718 owner, previous owner of 986S.

Wondering if anyone has been on track with their 718 yet? Interested to hear comments on the difference in power delivery from previous generations.

I have noticed on the street that getting on throttle mid corner results in rotation of the car. I think this is due to the new rear end from the GT4 or inside rear brake being applied by PSM. I do not have torque vectoring or any other magic on my car.

Thanks,
The increased torque makes mid corner rotation more feasible/noticeable in the 718 cars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did notice the same on mine, there is a moment of rotation around the engine longitudinal center of gravity. The car "pumps" around the engine because of torque being applied on rear wheels. This is especially true on hard cornering and low speed. This is a new behavior I need to balance out, and it is very different behavior VS my previous car, a 997-2005. The 997 had much lower torque at low revs, and the engine was located far behind the wheels, whereas in Cayman, engine is between the 4 wheels, just behind seats. From track experience, I had a hard time following stock H6 Cayman, especially in tight curve and chicanes, and what happens with time is that drivers can corner at higher speed in mid engine Boxster-Cayman than in 911.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
275 Posts
The 718 is amazing on track. I took it to autocross even the other day, and it was amazing. The car goes where you want it to, and flawlessly. I kept it in second for the whole course too. The power band is phenomenal. I had the fastest lap time. Beat a Nissan GTR, and several other built AutoX cars by a second. It was my first time in RWD, and seven years time, at autocross event.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've tracked mine 4 times at two different tracks. The car is everything the reviews claim it is. It is just sooo predictable and balanced. I've tracked it with the stock Advans and Nitto NT1's. The Nitto's allow for better lap times, but the Advans are surprisingly decent. I have tracked two other cars before: a track only tricked out stroked BMW E30, and a 2007 Roush S/C Mustang. The E30 was a raw seat of your pants car, I could push it to it's limits and feel comfortable, I still miss it. The Mustang was another story, it was fast but you had to be on your game with it. The 718 on the other hand is refined, fast, and smooth. I'm an HPDE instructor with HOD and have driven or rode in a number of HP cars. There are production cars that can turn faster lap times, but none can match the Cayman for it's handling feel thru the corners. I have the Torque Vectoring and the suspension package (20mm lower). When traction control is on (normal) you can smell and feel the rear brake working while hard cornering, with it off not some much and you can rotate and slide the car easier. I haven't pushed the car to it's limits on the high speed corners (new car, expensive, etc.) but on the mid to lower speed corners push it hard, if too hard, a little correction and we're good. If you never track your 718 your wasting a lot of good car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JCJ,

Thanks for the information. I definitely plan on tracking my car. I will need to buy DE insurance as car is expensive and I don't want to have to worry about it. I will post once I attend an event.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
JCJ please respond

Hi,

I am taking my Cayman S to Watkins Glen for a two day Chin event over labor day. What pads and fluid were have you been using when tracking your car, and are you happy with the set up.

I have been having a hard time finding pads and particularly any DIY videos for swaping them out.

Any advice you might have would be appreciated.

James

[email protected]

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hey, 718 guys with track experience, can I get your help in better understanding something?

So the 718 Cayman S did a 7:47 at the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, where the 981 Cayman GT4 posted a 7:42. I figured out that's about a 1% difference (5 seconds relative to 462 total seconds).

The 718 had PDK versus the manual-6 GT4, that had to be an advantage. The GT4 had additional 35hp, 160 lbs. less weight, and 1" wider rears (plus stickier track tires I've read but I don't have the details on that). Those are the relevant differences I can glean, maybe you are aware of others?

My question is, in a hypothetical lap where the cars were 'normalized' -- the GT4 getting current PDK and the 718 getting +35hp, -160lb. weight, 11" rears (all things I reckon could readily be accomplished with existing chassis/engine package) --what would you expect to see on the track?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi,

I am taking my Cayman S to Watkins Glen for a two day Chin event over labor day. What pads and fluid were have you been using when tracking your car, and are you happy with the set up.

I have been having a hard time finding pads and particularly any DIY videos for swaping them out.

Any advice you might have would be appreciated.

James

[email protected]
After 6 track days I wore out the stock pads, front and rear. I suspect the torque vectoring option accelerated the rear wear. I replaced the pads with Pagid yellows. The braking is noticeably better. I used Permatex Ultra Hi-Temp brake grease on pad backs and pins. No squealing and good stoppage on the street. Rotors were turned, about 1 mm total thickness lost cleaned them up nicely.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So far I'm using the stock fluid that came with the car. I run max 20-25 min per session. No problems so far.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've tracked mine 4 times at two different tracks. The car is everything the reviews claim it is. It is just sooo predictable and balanced. I've tracked it with the stock Advans and Nitto NT1's. The Nitto's allow for better lap times, but the Advans are surprisingly decent. I have tracked two other cars before: a track only tricked out stroked BMW E30, and a 2007 Roush S/C Mustang. The E30 was a raw seat of your pants car, I could push it to it's limits and feel comfortable, I still miss it. The Mustang was another story, it was fast but you had to be on your game with it. The 718 on the other hand is refined, fast, and smooth. I'm an HPDE instructor with HOD and have driven or rode in a number of HP cars. There are production cars that can turn faster lap times, but none can match the Cayman for it's handling feel thru the corners. I have the Torque Vectoring and the suspension package (20mm lower). When traction control is on (normal) you can smell and feel the rear brake working while hard cornering, with it off not some much and you can rotate and slide the car easier. I haven't pushed the car to it's limits on the high speed corners (new car, expensive, etc.) but on the mid to lower speed corners push it hard, if too hard, a little correction and we're good. If you never track your 718 your wasting a lot of good car.
I was wondering if there are any track events like HOD you might recommend within a couple/few hours of Portland. I finally have a couple thousand miles on my car and would like to do at least one event this year. I've done some MX events in the past (different vehicals, not my 718) but would like to achieve some higher speeds. Thanks for your input in the forum.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There's an HOD event next Thursday Aug. 17th at Portland International Raceway (PIR). PIR is a great track for a 1st time out. It's flat, has no blind turns. If you live in Portland check it out, it's at the north end, inside Delta Park. Another HOD event is on the 24th of Aug. at the Ridge Motorsports Park (TRMP) in Shelton, WA. That's about 2-1/2 hrs. north of Portland. Very fun track to drive, a bit more technical than PIR, has elevation changes, some blind corners and a fast straight. TRMP would be an excellent next track day after PIR. HOD Northwest website: https://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-region/Pacific-Northwest-Region

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed Tarett Engineering adjustable camber plates and set camber negative 2.2 in front and 1.5 in rear. I was wearing the outside corners of my tires much faster than center when tracking. This really helped them wear evenly now. I drive the car to the track on NT1's over inflated to 40 psi, then deflate to around 30 psi cold and run them hot at 36/37 per session. The over inflation helps keep the inside and outside corners from wearing.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Hey, 718 guys with track experience, can I get your help in better understanding something?

So the 718 Cayman S did a 7:47 at the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, where the 981 Cayman GT4 posted a 7:42. I figured out that's about a 1% difference (5 seconds relative to 462 total seconds).

The 718 had PDK versus the manual-6 GT4, that had to be an advantage. The GT4 had additional 35hp, 160 lbs. less weight, and 1" wider rears (plus stickier track tires I've read but I don't have the details on that). Those are the relevant differences I can glean, maybe you are aware of others?

My question is, in a hypothetical lap where the cars were 'normalized' -- the GT4 getting current PDK and the 718 getting +35hp, -160lb. weight, 11" rears (all things I reckon could readily be accomplished with existing chassis/engine package) --what would you expect to see on the track?
There are just too many variables and differences to be able to deduce a time, including one that can't be mitigated: the GT4 only comes with a manual. Also, keep in mind that the GT4 has a more race-oriented suspension, better brakes, those wider tires, and a 911.1 Carrera S engine that (as noted) provides more horsepower that -- and this is key -- makes the car a bigger beast at speed than the 718 Cayman S ever will be.

Three other factors: the driver (if a different driver posted the two times, it's a moot comparison, IMHO), weather (How cool/hot was it? Was the track damp? Etc.), and traffic at the time of testing (Closed or open track?)

Like dyno testing, the only way one can get a fair comparison is on the same day, with the same driver, and with as many variables evened out as possible (tire compound, fuel quality, etc.).

Reactions: ZuffenHouseRules

·
Registered
48 Posts
I installed Tarett Engineering adjustable camber plates and set camber negative 2.2 in front and 1.5 in rear. I was wearing the outside corners of my tires much faster than center when tracking. This really helped them wear evenly now. I drive the car to the track on NT1's over inflated to 40 psi, then deflate to around 30 psi cold and run them hot at 36/37 per session. The over inflation helps keep the inside and outside corners from wearing.
Hello, did you get an alignment done before installing the camber plates and if so, what was the max camber you achieved front and rear?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello, did you get an alignment done before installing the camber plates and if so, what was the max camber you achieved front and rear?
I think the max camber in front stock was around neg. 1, not sure though. Max with plates is neg. 2.2, which is working for well for tire wear and handling. I increased rear to neg. 1.8. I have zero toe. So far so good. I do track a lot so the tracking negates the inside tire wear that you might get if you don't track at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts