Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
has anyone looked or running with 18s for track wheels?

• good - 18" wheels usually lower unsprung weight vs 19s
  • good - usually a better selection of track tires in 18"
  • Not so good - would lower overall diameters 3-5% unless higher ratio sidewalls are selected

With 18s I'm wondering if both front and rear diameters are lowered proportionally whether the car systems would still play nicely together.

i've been running 18" track wheels since day 1. i have a set of lightweight volk wheels with nitto nt01 in 245/40 and 275/40 and i have been very happy with the results. a full set of those tires runs around $1100 shipped to me and they last me about 3 weekends of track use. i have not run into a single issue with the car on the track. the only negative aspect of this setup is that while the nittos can be driven on the street they hum pretty loudly and it gets annoying.

i've been running 18" track wheels since day 1. i have a set of lightweight volk wheels with nitto nt01 in 245/40 and 275/40 and i have been very happy with the results. a full set of those tires runs around $1100 shipped to me and they last me about 3 weekends of track use. i have not run into a single issue with the car on the track. the only negative aspect of this setup is that while the nittos can be driven on the street they hum pretty loudly and it gets annoying.
Thanks nineball!!,
that's exactly the info I was looking for. :)

Noise isn't a problem for me, I swap wheels at the track.

I got some heavy autoX use out of my Michelin PS4s but only one HPDE event before they chunked so badly on the front tires I could see the cords. I loved those tires on the road but the track use was completely unsatisfactory. I put a couple new PS4s tires on the front ( non-N spec to save $50) and got a more aggressive alignment and will try the car again next week. ( The car was set within spec with the factory alignment)

If the tires give out again, i will go for a second set of rims and dedicated track tires.

( Edit: When I brought my car into my local Porsche speed shop, they said they, in general, had poor experience with the PS4s on the track and recommended not staying with that tire for track use. They did admit almost everybody loves them for the street.)

The PS4S is not a track tire for anyone pushing it beyond their first DE experiences. They don't handle heat well. They are incredible for anything up to track use, however.

I disagree with this. I know lots of people who run them in the white PCA group. They last/perform really well. And it is not like they are just cruising around.

Hi Folks.

Just wanted to chime in. I picked up a set of the OZ Leggera 19" Wheels with a set of 255/35/19 and 285/35/19 RE-71Rs and they worked fantastically. Definitely felt the increased grip over the stock sizing. The 255 fronts really help eliminate any front understeer and actually give the car a bit of liveliness in the corners with all the front end grip.

Hi Folks.

Just wanted to chime in. I picked up a set of the OZ Leggera 19" Wheels with a set of 255/35/19 and 285/35/19 RE-71Rs and they worked fantastically. Definitely felt the increased grip over the stock sizing. The 255 fronts really help eliminate any front understeer and actually give the car a bit of liveliness in the corners with all the front end grip.
What are the wheel widths? Wondering if I can fit those tires on stock 19" wheels.

I've run about 5 days worth of days on the stock 20 Carrera S with stock eagles and while they were fair, they ultimately started chunking badly so I just ordered a set of 18 inch apex wheels and 235/45/18 and 265/45/18 RE-71Rs which I plan to put on the night before upcoming events and use them to and from and on the track only. will come back and give an update after my next event (sept 12). Oh, and I'm going to add as much camber as I can get out of the stock suspension too.

Finally got my track wheels and rubber; (center caps not yet installed)

What I went with:
  • Wheels - Titan 7 TS-5
    18" x 9" ET46 front; 18" x 10" ET35 rear.
    These are a fully forged wheel (not flow formed) and very strong.
    I tracked a set of these on my E92 M3 and they were flawless.
    I usually use most of the track available including curbing when feasible and never had any issues with bent or broken wheels..
    More info here on the Titan 7s. ......and here

• Tires - Hankook RS-4
    18" 255/35 front; 18" 285/35 rear

I've used these tires before and am very happy with them.
    RE-71R may be a tick faster (also used them before), but the RS-4s last WAY longer and are much better bang for the buck IMO.

• Sizing;
    the tire wheel combo diameters are slightly less than 1.5" compared to stock 20"
    20" front = 26.48; 18" front = 25.03
    20" rear = 27.30; 18" rear = 25.85

The important thing here is both front and rear are reduced in diameter by the same amount, so that the rake of the underfloor is maintained, plus all the car electronics/nannies are kept happy.

Some advantages to the smaller package.
    - lower rear diameter reduces the overall final gearing. (shorter final drive)
    This gives you a little more punch when getting back on the throttle.
    - the car sits approx. .75" lower (I'm already on SPASM)
    This does a couple of things; lowers CofG and should also increase the velocity of air under the car for more downforce.

i have ran the rs-3 in the past on my '83 911 targa and i was quite happy with them. good choice.

I just got back from 2 days at Mont Tremblant in Quebec.
The track wheels & tires were fantastic.
A big improvement over Cup2s on the 20" stock wheels. :)
I was there too! Unfortunately my season is done, I can't wait for next year. I read your upper post about RS-4s, have you got the chance to compare them to NT01s? I completely cooked my stock PS4s this season (was my first), so I'm looking for a dedicated set for next summer. Heard great things about the Nittos but tire life does matter to me

Here's mine with the aforementioned 18inch Apex wheels and RE71Rs. I got it up to the track but it was unfortunately a rain day and I can't say too much about their performance. It was an ice rink out there. Going out again friday, I'll try and post more then.

I was there too! Unfortunately my season is done, I can't wait for next year. I read your upper post about RS-4s, have you got the chance to compare them to NT01s? I completely cooked my stock PS4s this season (was my first), so I'm looking for a dedicated set for next summer. Heard great things about the Nittos but tire life does matter to me
Excellent! LCMT is one of my favorite tracks, right up there with Watkins.

I know guys that use the NT01s on a different platform (BMW) and love them.
I haven't used them myself, so cant really comment.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.