Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about some form of tracker protection for a new 718 Cayman which is on its way and will be UK based. Anyone any recommendations please? Porsche Car Connect seems to generate a few positive reviews, but mainly a whole host of very negative ones saying it is very poor and not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have a look to see what discount you get on your insurance the tracker, Graham. Personally my insurance went down by only £10 a year yet the tracker costs £270 a year to subscribe.

Some insurance companies to insist on one being fitted though. Also, be mindful that any third party tracker that is spliced into your wiring may invalidate your warranty.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thinking about some form of tracker protection for a new 718 Cayman which is on its way and will be UK based. Anyone any recommendations please? Porsche Car Connect seems to generate a few positive reviews, but mainly a whole host of very negative ones saying it is very poor and not fit for purpose.
Vodafone automotive are Marmite in the UK. I am ambivalent about the service. One of the weirdest things is that they disallow you from tracking your car when (in their opinion) it is stolen. As it relies on the Vodafone network, my car doesn't appear to be tracked half the time. Vodafone have never invested in this part of the UK.
What do you use the tracker for? To tick the insurance box or do you want your car back after it has been stolen / trashed?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
PCC has a geofence that will alert you if the car is moved or goes too fast. No one knows at that point whether it has been stolen so there is no reason to think it wouldn't work then. At any time you an ask it where the car is. It's also nice for tracking what a dealer or service center is doing with it when you are waiting for a repair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the many user reviews of PCC via the Apple App Store and Google Play for Android, most rate PCC as only 1 out of 5, complaining about poor design, slow to use, regular crashes and disconnects and a need to reboot etc. Some added that it is the worst car app they have ever come across and far worse than what BMW and Mercedes offer.

Pleased to hear that some on the forum feel it does just what it is supposed to though, which is reassuring. I really like the sound of all the features it provides and was and probably am still intending to sign up and have it activated by my OPC before handover. i am very wary of letting any third parties interfere with the wiring on a new Cayman for warranty fears etc. I guess the alternative is no tracker, but maybe not.

interestingly it makes no difference whatsoever (not even a single British penny!) to the various insurance quotes I have already obtained whether the PCC tracker is fitted or not.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and help.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Connect and hide an old iPhone somewhere in the car. Then use Find My iPhone to track the car. In most cases, you can add a second phone for about 10 bucks a month. Or you can just rely on the government. The government, Google and a host of others track you car through the PCM; all for various reasons. They can even remote control it :(

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Well, I am only one data point, or more accurately, no data point. Mine has never crashed on my Android phone.
Mine has never crashed in an iPhone8. The car has its own data card to communicate with the Mother Phone. It has worked in the depths of the garage under the highrise we lived in last year in NYC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts